Are these rims aluminum? (Chrysler PT Cruiser AP / SP Limited Edition)

Old August 24th 05, 03:10 AM
JeffWills

Default Are these rims aluminum? (Chrysler PT Cruiser AP / SP Limited Edition)

Ted Bennett wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

wrote:

With luck, some of the people whom I teased last year with
the exploits of a $57 WalMart Fury Roadmaster will be along
shortly to offer you more good advice than you can stand
about better buys.

$54.

$57.73. There's something called a sales tax.

Oh, right. Stupid american notions about sales taxes not being included in
the sticker price. Although the amount of sales tax should vary depending
on location, as well -- there are non-sales-tax states around still,
aren't there?

Jasper

Yep. No sales tax in Oregon, and I must say that it is pleasant to pick
up a ten dollar widget and be asked for merely ten dollars at the
cashier.

We do have to pump our own gas, though.

--
Ted Bennett

Like where, Ted? The last time I checked, Oregon was one of only two
states (Rhode Island is the other) that prohibited self-serve gas.
That's why I always fill up here in Washington before I head south.

P.S.: Washingtonians don't pay income tax. We come across the river to
shop in Oregon, then go home. Neener, neener, neener...

P.S.2.: Except if you live in Washington and work in Oregon, you pay
Oregon income tax. Gurk! Taxation without representation!

Jeff

Old August 25th 05, 06:22 AM

I wonder why you are interested in these products. They are of mediocre
quality with performance to match.
I imagine many who read your intitial post wondered it your query was
serious. The name is more usually assosciated with the automobile of the
same name. I would think it unlikely that any subscriber to this newsgroup
would be interested in these bicycles.
I advise you to visit a bike shop and ask for advice. You certainly won't
get it from a department store.

I appreciate all the advise I get.

Well, I renamed the title so people will know I'm serious. I was
originally only interested in knowing if the rims were aluminum. I
didn't say I planned to add a small 48cc bike motor to it.

I got an email from another person recommeding against "department
store" bicycles, and he recommended Fuji, saying they were in the same
price range.
They have one model with 6-7 speeds, the Captiva, and it only comes in
orange. The Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition AP looks SOOO MUCH
BETTER - not just the paint job. The Fuji is about $90 more expensive.
The Fuji also has an aluminum frame. That PT Cruiser model has a steel
frame, and I think I prefer the extra strength as the motor will be
attached to it (I'm not going to get some friction engine job that sits
on the back tire.) My main concern is brakes. I want it to stop, that
why I was making sure the rims were aluminum. It also doesn't really
matter how efficient the bike is. The motor's max is 30mph - the same
as the moped law. A little more gas? Who cares at 120MPG?

After reading your post I checked two local shops that have web pages.
On one the prices ranged from $695 to $2295 (all models), and they
didn't have a cruiser with more that 1 speed. I was thinking "that's a
lot of money for a bicycle." Then I looked at the other one. Prices
ranged from $2499 to $6995. Ouch. They had a "comfort" list, and
some of those might have looked like cruisers, but at that price I
could care less, and didn't follow the links.

That reminded me of a music store (forgot the name) that sold super-hi
end systems for people's homes. I like music, and found a $700 system
that sounds just fine. I've heard crappy ones, and would never own one.
I could have spent $10,000 or more on a system. Even if I was rich I
seriously doubt I would have. I'm happy at the point where it sounds
good. With a bike, I'm happy if it works and doesn't brake.

I had a $100 "department store" ten-speed in high school. I rode it for
3 years, and never had a single problem. If I had spent $1000, what
difference would it have made? (other than at that price I wouldn't
have had a bike...) Maybe you could demonstrate I could have excerted
25% less energy going the same distance/speed on a $500 bike. I don't
know, and I didn't have an extra $400 to spend on it.

I found one other 6-7 speed cruiser online that looked as good as the
PT Cruiser, and it was $900 - no way. I found a cheaper one that looked
almost as good ($120), but it had bad reviews (Amazon,...). The PT
Cruiser had favorable reviews.

So I presently have nothing against "department store" bikes. (BTW, I
called the two stores that have them online, and they said they don't
carry them in the stores - you can only get them online. Kind of a
bummer, as I wanted to look at it.)

My only concern is that something doesn't brake. I don't know much
about bicycles. I won't be taking this on long roadtrips, and I won't
be racing it. I don't see the point of getting a high end bike for
this. Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of, or mabye this bike
is somehow terribly inefficient (again the motor's max is 30MPH
anyway...)

Someone in this thread said it was made by Huffy. The Sams Club site
says it's Jeep Bicycles in the warranty information.

Here are the parts for a Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition AP
bicycle. Maybe you can tell me if any of them are junk: (a closeup of
the back tire chain assembly says "?POCH6")

Frame: Steel PT Cruiser 19" M 17" L
Fork: PT Cruiser Steel
Derailer: Shimano Rear
Shifters: Sram Gripshift, 6-Speed Index
Crankset: One Piece 44T
Brakes: Alloy Caliper
HandleBar: Cruiser 670mm
Stem: Cruiser Alloy
SeatPost: Alloy W/Alloy Q.R.
Hubs: Alloy Front & Rear
Rims: Alloy 36H
Wheels: 14G Stainless Steel Spokes
Tires: 26" x 2.125 White Wall Cruiser
Pedals: Cruiser Type
Headset: Steel Black Threaded
Saddle: PT Cruiser Spring Cushion
ChainCogset: 14-28T 6-Speed
Extras: GRIPS: Foam 130 mm, Color is Air Sand Black

Old August 25th 05, 07:01 AM

On 24 Aug 2005 22:22:08 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Dear Emily,

"Alloy" is a common term for aluminum in the bicycle world.

(Yes, steel is also an alloy, but that's just the way it
is.)

What looks like "?POCH6" on the chain might be "SACHS"--a
perfectly acceptable chain.

You may well have reasons for choosing this approach, but
it's worth considering a real moped or Vespa-style
motor-scooter. They're designed for an engine instead of
having it added, and they're sold by shops that can help you
with any problems.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel
Old August 25th 05, 12:35 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:01:05 -0600, wrote:

You may well have reasons for choosing this approach, but
it's worth considering a real moped or Vespa-style
motor-scooter. They're designed for an engine instead of
having it added, and they're sold by shops that can help you
with any problems.

And you can get 'em for under $300 all told, including the 50cc engine.

Jasper
Old August 25th 05, 02:18 PM
araby

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder why you are interested in these products. They are of mediocre
quality with performance to match.
I imagine many who read your intitial post wondered it your query was
serious. The name is more usually assosciated with the automobile of the
same name. I would think it unlikely that any subscriber to this newsgroup
would be interested in these bicycles.
I advise you to visit a bike shop and ask for advice. You certainly won't
get it from a department store.

I appreciate all the advise I get.

didn't say I planned to add a small 48cc bike motor to it.

Can't really help you save to say that no bicycle is designed with the
intention that it will be fitted with an engine.
May I ask -why the engine? Do you have health issues?

I got an email from another person recommeding against "department
store" bicycles, and he recommended Fuji, saying they were in the same
price range.

Good recommendation!

They have one model with 6-7 speeds, the Captiva, and it only comes in
orange. The Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition AP looks SOOO MUCH
BETTER - not just the paint job. The Fuji is about $90 more expensive.
The Fuji also has an aluminum frame.

What's wrong with that?

PT Cruiser model has a steel
frame, and I think I prefer the extra strength as the motor will be
attached to it (I'm not going to get some friction engine job that sits
on the back tire.)

Why do you assume that the steel bike has more strength -it doesn't. You
will note that aluminum bikes have larger frame tubes to compensate.
My main concern is brakes. I want it to stop, that
why I was making sure the rims were aluminum.

That's a valid point.

Fuji has a FAR better reputation than Huffy who's is patchy at best. They
have been in difficulties over the years. Fuji is a giant international
company.

Check out the following
http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/lifestyle.asp
They have a large selection of comfort/lifestyle models.
You can get a perfectly adequate bike for under $300

Can't help further because your basic requirement is not at all in my sphere
of interest. Different strokes I suppose.

Good luck anyway

Roy