How to stop my garage from flooding?

Old September 29th 05, 02:54 PM
Rob

Default How to stop my garage from flooding?

My garage is at the bottom of a gently sloping drive which has been
covered in tarmac by some previous owners. Originaly the drive was just
covered in rough chippings, so any rain water would just soak away.

When it rains heavily, water works it's way under the door and
eventualy forms a long lasting puddle over half the area of the floor.

I believe this is cause by two things.

(1) Rain water running down the garage door and ont the garage floor.
(2) Rain water being prevented from soaking away throught the tarmaced
drive.

I have found what would seem to be the ideal solution

http://www.jnkproducts.com/storm-shi...-threshold.htm

Surely there must be a UK equivalent of this or am I going to have to
import some from the US?

Old September 29th 05, 02:58 PM
Rob

sorry wrong newsgroup!

Old September 29th 05, 03:07 PM
Colin Blackburn

Rob wrote:
sorry wrong newsgroup!

Yeah, I was just about to suggest uk.d-i-y but I got distracted by US
garage products. They have an aluminum (sic) pegboard you can hang bikes
from:

http://www.jnkproducts.com/diamond-life.htm

In fact you can do out your whole garage in industrial aluminium,
including stuff on the floor to help you park. We just rely on the
age-old technique of not hitting the back of the garage.

Colin
Old September 29th 05, 03:43 PM
stupot

When it rains heavily, water works it's way under the door and
eventualy forms a long lasting puddle over half the area of the floor.

My garage does the same. My solution is to pull the garage down. :-)
A bit drastic.
Old September 29th 05, 04:03 PM
Roos Eisma

stupot writes:

When it rains heavily, water works it's way under the door and
eventualy forms a long lasting puddle over half the area of the floor.

My garage does the same. My solution is to pull the garage down. :-)

I would think more along the lines of pulling the garage /up/ by building
it up on poles - works for people in frequently flooded areas :-)

Roos
Old September 29th 05, 04:35 PM
David Hansen

On 29 Sep 2005 06:54:16 -0700 someone who may be "Rob"
wrote this:-

My garage is at the bottom of a gently sloping drive which has been
covered in tarmac by some previous owners. Originaly the drive was just
covered in rough chippings, so any rain water would just soak away.

I hope the garage contains bikes:-)

What you need is a gutter across the front of the garage door,
draining into a soakaway. The top of the gutter is covered with a
perforated metal strip. Water runs down the drive and then into the
gutter. Your bikes pass over the top of the strip. You will see such
things in many places on pavements, railway platforms and the like.

I have no idea where to get hold of the bits, but suggest a builders
merchant.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old September 29th 05, 04:46 PM
John Burns

What you need is a gutter across the front of the garage door,
draining into a soakaway. The top of the gutter is covered with a
perforated metal strip. Water runs down the drive and then into the
gutter. Your bikes pass over the top of the strip. You will see such
things in many places on pavements, railway platforms and the like.

That's what I've got, works a treat. Got the bits from a builder's
merchant for about 12 quid per metre.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old September 29th 05, 04:48 PM
David Martin

wrote this:-

My garage is at the bottom of a gently sloping drive which has been
covered in tarmac by some previous owners. Originaly the drive was just
covered in rough chippings, so any rain water would just soak away.

I hope the garage contains bikes:-)

What you need is a gutter across the front of the garage door,
draining into a soakaway. The top of the gutter is covered with a
perforated metal strip. Water runs down the drive and then into the
gutter. Your bikes pass over the top of the strip. You will see such
things in many places on pavements, railway platforms and the like.

It's called linear drainage like this
http://www.drainstore.com/linear_drainage.php

These are plastic but concrete/steel versions are available.

Put it in at a slight angle (1:100 should be OK) and have a decent
soakaway at the ends (deep hole full of gravel should do).

...d

Old September 29th 05, 04:50 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:35:49 +0100 someone who may be David Hansen
wrote this:-

What you need is a gutter across the front of the garage door,
draining into a soakaway.

And because I was feeling kind I have looked it up on that Interweb
thingy, for those that want to be spoon-fed.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain06.htm

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old September 29th 05, 04:54 PM
David Martin

wrote this:-

What you need is a gutter across the front of the garage door,
draining into a soakaway.

And because I was feeling kind I have looked it up on that Interweb
thingy, for those that want to be spoon-fed.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain06.htm

I was about to post that one too..

A useful site as I will probably have to upgrade teh drainage in my
back yard soon.

...d

Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
Why I dont stop at red lights or stop signs Pete Racing 1 August 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Advanced Stop Lines Robert Bruce UK 15 November 12th 03 08:06 PM
Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs? Ken General 85 September 22nd 03 11:22 PM
Entering the queue at a stop sign Roly Poly Man General 32 August 3rd 03 12:54 PM