"Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction

Old December 1st 03, 09:04 PM
Sorni

Default Odd bikes

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
news
On 29 Nov 2003 13:50:12 GMT,
may have said:

Why are tandems more popular in some places while not in others?

This year I've spotted 2 recumbents, 3 upright trikes, 1 folding
bike in the wild (only counting sightings in Finland). Don't
recall seeing a tandem ever.

Tandem bikes are not common in the USA either.

I swear I saw no less than *five* tandems on my solo coastal ride here in
San Diego yesterday (Sunday afternoon), including TWO RECUMBENTS!!! (Pretty
sure they weren't same one spotted twice, as directions were different.)
Kinda weird...

Bill "felt sorta lonely after a while" S.

Old December 1st 03, 10:05 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Recumbent bikes (was: "Liquid Drive" bike prototype at auction)

On 1 Dec 2003 10:36:30 -0800, (Carl Fogel)
wrote:
Do you have a web page for this kind of body
sock? Experience suggests that I'll end up with
hundreds of women wearing leotards while bicycling
if I try to search for it myself.

That doesn't sound like a terrible result.

Carl Fogel

--
Rick Onanian
Old December 1st 03, 10:10 PM
Jeff Wills

Default Recumbent bikes

John Foltz wrote in message ...
snip
Disadvantages of a fairing like mine or the one in the second pic:
they add 3-4 pounds to the bike, and they have to be removed for
transport.

Not *strictly* true, John. With the proper choice of conveyance,
carrying a fairing-equipped recumbent inside a vehicle is easy. My
wife and I bought our (used) Aerostar specifically to carry our Tour
Easys. It swallows them without any disassembly: open the back hatch,
roll the bikes in and tie them down, and close the back hatch.
Elapsed time for two bikes: 45 seconds.

Choosing a motor vehicle on the basis of its bicycle-carrying ability
is sick, I know... and I got it bad.

Jeff
Old December 1st 03, 10:45 PM

In rec.bicycles.misc David Kerber wrote:
: In article ,
: says...

: If you put aerobars and homebrew wheeldisks on a typical road
: bike, you probably wouldn't be much worse off than with a lowracer

: Like this one?
http://users.ids.net/~dkerber/cycling.htm

Nice bike :-) The funniest thing must be it's a touring bike with
a rear rack but you don't mention any touring use.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old December 1st 03, 10:59 PM

In rec.bicycles.misc Carl Fogel wrote:

: So far, the few that I've seen turn out to
: be the inexpensive entry-level recumbents,
: apparently EZ-1's, about $500-$700 U.S., far
: more than WalMart's entry-level bikes, but
: then recumbents are much rarer and more
: expensive.

Ah maybe you are right. Almost non-existent bike on this side of
the big water (we only have some BikeEs), especially among us
elite European SWB-lowracer sports folks.

: Curiously, your post suggests that I'm showing
: up in rec.bicycles.misc, possibly through cross

Indeed, it very much looks like you're crossposting here.

Old December 1st 03, 11:00 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.tech Kevan Smith wrote:
: That's crazy talk! You're a road racer, not a fred with a beer belly. What would
: Fabrizzio do? That's the motto ....

ryan has long since lost the plot. poor dumb *******.
--
david reuteler

Old December 2nd 03, 01:17 AM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
:
says...

: If you put aerobars and homebrew wheeldisks on a typical road
: bike, you probably wouldn't be much worse off than with a lowracer

: Like this one?
http://users.ids.net/~dkerber/cycling.htm

Nice bike :-) The funniest thing must be it's a touring bike with
a rear rack but you don't mention any touring use.

That's right; it's a "Fuji Touring" GGG. I use the rack for trips to
the store; I hope (plan?) to do some light touring at some ill-defined
point in the future. I basically bought the bike because I liked the
way it rode and handled, and the way it fit both my body and my budget.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old December 2nd 03, 03:18 AM
Tom Sherman

Carl Fogel wrote:
So far, the few that I've seen turn out to
be the inexpensive entry-level recumbents,
apparently EZ-1's, about $500-$700 U.S., far
more than WalMart's entry-level bikes, but
then recumbents are much rarer and more
expensive....

The Sun EZ-1 SC [1] is comparable in build quality and components to an
entry level "LBS quality" bike, so the recumbent price penalty is around
$200-250 US.

An entry level "performance recumbent such as the RANS Rocket [2] is
roughly comparable in frame construction (TIG welded 4130 Cro-Moly [3])
and component selection to an entry level road bike, so the price
penalty is about $400 US.

The price penalty is due to several factors: no recumbent parts groups
(less economy of scale in purchasing parts), a seat that is much more
complicated and time consuming to build than an upright saddle, custom
parts such as steering risers and handlebars (vs. off the shelf stems
and handlebars for uprights), other custom parts such as chain idlers,
more chain, and lower production volume.

[1] Available from any LBS in the US that has a J&B catalog, i.e. almost
all of them.
[2] http://www.ransbikes.com/2003Lineup/Rocket.htm
[3] Bicycle specific tubing is generally NOT available in the diameter
and/or lengths needed for most recumbent designs.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 2nd 03, 03:24 AM
Vincent Wilcox

John Foltz wrote:
Vincent Wilcox wrote:

I went for a ride with a local cycling group on a local loop with a
varied route, ie. getting off the road at points. We kept having to
wait for the groups recumbent rider to catch up as he rode the longer
road route because it was impossible for him to lift his bike over
fences and ride on some bumpy offroad track. I imagine he only did it
to increase his mileage.

It sounds like your ride was almost a cyclocross event in places.
Definitely not a good venue for a bike that is essentially meant for
roads only. There is very little public land around here for doing that
stuff, so rather than trespass we stick to the pavement.

It wasn't by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps he was
a wimp recumbent rider?

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM