Electric dangers

Old January 14th 19, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Electric dangers

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 14th 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

Electric bicycle fires are rare, but do happen:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=ebike+fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71s8RsyZykE

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 15th 19, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
that point.

Cheers,
John B.

Old January 15th 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...an-s-electric-

bike-explodes-almost-starts-bushfire

It would be helpful for more details about the e-bike. Was it a self
adapted from cheap chinese sources and thuse cheap poor power regulation.

Aaah, this talking head says after market conversion;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIAi2BbKHtA

I think the conditions were ideal for stressding the electrics and
battery; slow speed up a hill and the region is experiencing 40C/100F+
temperatures, but at 8;30am it wouldn't be that.

As to the pants catching fire, this posts says "spandex"; nuff said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...ric-road-bike-
explodes-on-adelaide-hill-climb-causing-bushfire/

I'll just stick to cotton shorts that I've always used.

Old January 16th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
that point.

I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and CO2
cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes sense in
context. Then an editor caught hold of it.

Mark J.
Old January 16th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
that point.

I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and CO2
cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes sense in
context. Then an editor caught hold of it.

Mark J.

I read the Bangkok Post's "most recent" posts which look to be the raw
text as submitted by a reporter and from time to time there are some
rather glaring errors. But realistically, one can't expect all
reporters to know all about everything.

Some years ago I wrote a weekly column for the Bangkok Post and
sometimes the size of the article had to be adjusted to fit the page,
which the sub-editor for that section took care of, which occasionally
resulted in some rather humorous wording toward the end of the article
:-)

Cheers,
John B.

Old January 16th 19, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...de-news-man-s-

electric-bike-explodes-almost-starts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
that point.

I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and CO2
cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes sense in
context. Then an editor caught hold of it.

Mark J.

ALL gas sylinders explode over here, even though they are engineered to
vent the contents at too high a pressure. IME, CO2 cartridges don't have
that enginering, so theryprobably did explode. Situated above the
flamming battery probably wasn't a good position in this case.

Old January 16th 19, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

: wrote:
:
[...]

I've seen morons throw 16 g CO2 cartridges into a fire. They burst,
at the end where they're punctured by the inflator. I assume that's
intentional. They do fly a long way though....

--
sig 28
Old January 16th 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:
:
[...]

The unpredictability of the direction of travel and that much hot metal
is a mighty reason not to do that. OTOH...

The closest to that is when I was a young teenager on a camp, a safety
demonstration was why you didn't place an unpunctured tin in the fire. We
used a tin of peas and were all sitting well back from the fire, then....
One of our well meaning leaders decided then was the time to wander over
and rabbit on about something and we waited for him to clam up and wander
off.

Sigh, the fact that all of us were sitting well back from the campfire on
a cold night should have twigged the brain cells, then KABOOM.

His involuntary start propelled him back about 3' without any obvious
effort. It was impossible to contain our mirth and he eventually say the
funny side from the "green pants" he was now wearing. It has split neatly
along the side seam and sprayed his gmboots and legs.

Once I took up bicycle touring the only things that I caused to explode
was popcorn kernels that I used over the camp fire to make popcorn on
camping trips. That and communal stews were the only reasons for carrying
a 4 litre billy.

Old January 16th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 10:36:52 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...tarts-bushfire

--
- Frank Krygowski

This is a problem with cheap Chinese lithium ion batteries. Not only are they a hazard if not charged properly they are a hazard when you are trying to get maximum discharge rate. And once they are heat damaged the "maximum discharge rate" gets lower and lower.

The dangers of headphones Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 4 July 20th 13 03:24 AM
Cycling- The Dangers spindrift UK 28 August 9th 07 05:11 PM
The dangers of fixed!!! G.T. Techniques 15 May 16th 07 12:22 AM
the dangers of fixies G.T. Mountain Biking 8 July 10th 06 09:56 PM
The dangers of cycling Peter Signorini Australia 0 March 26th 06 01:16 PM