Bike Ride Pictures: Stevens Canyon, July 2005

Old July 15th 05, 04:56 PM
Bill Bushnell

Default Bike Ride Pictures: Stevens Canyon, July 2005

On July 4th, a holiday in the U.S., I managed to get out for a ride
rather later in the day than usual. I decided to do something
different: a relatively short loop from home and a largely off-road
adventure up Stevens Canyon, over Russian Ridge, and then down the
Spring Ridge Trail through the Windy Hill Open Space Preserve. It turns
out there wasn't much traffic out on the roads anyway, but since I
hadn't ridden up Stevens Canyon in years, and the trail is close to
home, I thought at the very least I should re-explore that route. I was
not disappointed.

(45.3 miles; 3800 feet climbing)

http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old July 19th 05, 03:46 AM
Tom Kunich

"Bill Bushnell" wrote in message
On July 4th, a holiday in the U.S., I managed to get out for a ride
rather later in the day than usual. I decided to do something
different: a relatively short loop from home and a largely off-road
adventure up Stevens Canyon, over Russian Ridge, and then down the
Spring Ridge Trail through the Windy Hill Open Space Preserve. It turns
out there wasn't much traffic out on the roads anyway, but since I
hadn't ridden up Stevens Canyon in years, and the trail is close to
home, I thought at the very least I should re-explore that route. I was
not disappointed.

(45.3 miles; 3800 feet climbing)

http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk

What bike did you ride Bill?

Old July 20th 05, 05:36 PM
Bill Bushnell

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

"Bill Bushnell" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk

What bike did you ride Bill?

I rode an Easy Racers Gold Rush with front fairing and wraparound sock.

You must have missed frame 38 of the above photo album that shows me on
the bike from the front:
http://tinyurl.com/bddbc

These two show me on the same bike from the side (different ride):
http://tinyurl.com/cgf5c
http://tinyurl.com/9uo9k

Easy Racers Company web page:
http://www.easyracers.com/gold_rush.htm

The fairing doesn't do much while riding on dirt roads or trails, but it
comes in handy for the 3/4 of the ride that isn't on dirt. And, I
prefer the handling of the bike with the fairing installed.

The long wheelbase recumbent does surprisingly well off-road, especially
on steep downhill stuff that would otherwise have me hanging off the
back of my saddle. It's a bit harder to keep balanced at really low
speeds (4 mph), and the slick road tires make climbing loose, steep
stuff difficult or impossible. But, having ridden dirt on both my road
bike and LWB recumbent, I find them both to be about equally
easy/difficult, as the case may be, but I think I prefer riding the LWB
overall. It's especially easier on the hands, neck, and wrists. The
only time I have regrets is when I get to extended, frequent, or
"high-lift" portages.

Here's an article on a guy who races a LWB recumbent (his own design)
off-road:
http://tinyurl.com/8lq5x

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old July 21st 05, 01:11 AM
Tom Kunich

"Tom Kunich" wrote:

"Bill Bushnell" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/9yuxk

What bike did you ride Bill?

I rode an Easy Racers Gold Rush with front fairing and wraparound sock.

You must have missed frame 38 of the above photo album that shows me on
the bike from the front:
http://tinyurl.com/bddbc

I'll remember the barber pole pattern. If someone slaps you in the head
while passing it'll be me. :-)