What king of newsgroup is this ??

Old July 31st 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Default What king of newsgroup is this ??

Paul Rudin wrote in
:

Geoff Lane writes:

XNews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/) ...

Without wishing to get in to a news client war: gnus is, of course, the
best

The news client that best fits someone's needs is best for that person and
it's a very personal choice. Gnus sounds very Linux-ish, but I'm stuck with
Windoze so it probably isn't for me until I can afford to stop contributing
to Bill's billions. That said, I'd be interested in knowing what you
consider to be the best features of Gnus and I suspect others might also.
It'd be good to know what's available and what each news client has to
offer.

FWIW, I only posted the summary of XNews because it fits every scenario Ace
described (including morphing trolls) and it's the only client I know of
that does. However, XNews won't be to everyone's taste and it would be good
to spread knowledge of clients that can let people use this group without
having to suffer the trolls and hatemongers.
Old July 31st 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
nully[_2_]

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
7.64...
(snip)

HTH,

Very very much so. Many thanks!

Old July 31st 08, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.C.P.Crawshaw

Nuxx Bar wrote:

snip

Point made, Martin!
Old July 31st 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.C.P.Crawshaw

Brian Goldsmith wrote:

I subscribed to this group about a week ago, but I don't see to much
about actual cycling.

I put my cycling holiday diaries on my website, it's a better medium than usenet for
this type of content - I can include pictures for a start. This year's is at
http://www.bikesandtrains.co.uk/routes/eastanglia

Alan
Old July 31st 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:35:21 +0200
Ace wrote:

Or delete them entirely. But sadly it doesn't also extend to any
replies to those posts.

Use a news client that can filter on message content, not just headers,
then as long as replies include correct attributions they get filtered
too.

Old July 31st 08, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Geoff Lane writes:

Paul Rudin wrote in
:

Geoff Lane writes:

XNews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/) ...

Without wishing to get in to a news client war: gnus is, of course, the
best

The news client that best fits someone's needs is best for that person and
it's a very personal choice. Gnus sounds very Linux-ish, but I'm stuck with
Windoze so it probably isn't for me until I can afford to stop contributing
to Bill's billions.

emacs/gnus works just as well on windows as it does on other platforms -
in fact that's one of the nice things, whatever platform you need to use
from time to time you have a familiar piece of software for the task.

That said, I'd be interested in knowing what you consider to be the
best features of Gnus and I suspect others might also. It'd be good
to know what's available and what each news client has to offer.

Hmm - I don't really know where to start, it's very feature rich and, of
course being emacs, plenty of hooks to extend functionality if there's
something you want. The only thing that springs to mind that some people
might want is good display of html inline (if you're using it for mail
too).
Old July 31st 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Paul Rudin wrote:

emacs/gnus works just as well on windows as it does on other platforms -
in fact that's one of the nice things, whatever platform you need to use
from time to time you have a familiar piece of software for the task.

Must be handy knowing that Ctrl-X ctrl-Q spacebar ampersand does exactly
the same thing everywhere... ;-/

Pete (who never really grokked either emacs or vi).
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 31st 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Armstrong

Geoff Lane wrote:
Paul Rudin wrote in
:

Geoff Lane writes:

XNews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/) ...

Without wishing to get in to a news client war: gnus is, of course, the
best

The news client that best fits someone's needs is best for that person and
it's a very personal choice. Gnus sounds very Linux-ish, but I'm stuck with
Windoze so it probably isn't for me until I can afford to stop contributing
to Bill's billions. That said, I'd be interested in knowing what you
consider to be the best features of Gnus and I suspect others might also.
It'd be good to know what's available and what each news client has to
offer.

Gnus isn't Linuxish, it's Emacsish. Emacs constitutes a whole world of
geekdom which transcends mere operating systems

Emacs runs on windows, so Gnus will too:

If you want to play, then here's the obvious place to start:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryGnus

Phil

Old July 31st 08, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Peter Clinch writes:

Paul Rudin wrote:

emacs/gnus works just as well on windows as it does on other platforms -
in fact that's one of the nice things, whatever platform you need to use
from time to time you have a familiar piece of software for the task.

Must be handy knowing that Ctrl-X ctrl-Q spacebar ampersand does exactly
the same thing everywhere... ;-/

These days emacs ships with pointy-clicky menu type stuff so you don't
really need to know the key binds - at least to get going. Although (as
is the case with most software) you get things done more quickly if you
know keybinds for the stuff you use a lot.

Pete (who never really grokked either emacs or vi).

What can I say? http://xkcd.com/378/
Old July 31st 08, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Paul Rudin wrote:

These days emacs ships with pointy-clicky menu type stuff so you don't
really need to know the key binds - at least to get going. Although (as
is the case with most software) you get things done more quickly if you
know keybinds for the stuff you use a lot.

Used that for the previous version of IDL when I was flying it on a Sun.
problem was as I'm a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type by talent,
inclination and job description I didn't ever use it /enough/ to
remember what all the bindings were :-(
Latest version has Eclipse, so I'm working with that for now.

What can I say? http://xkcd.com/378/

:-D

Pete.