Bikes on trains petitions

Old July 27th 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Default Bikes on trains petitions

pasted from CTC forum - please support

If you want to take you bike on the train... you should sign this
government e-petition and write to your MP or the PM.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/carboncycle/
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/bikes-on-trains/

Gordon Brown does pay attention to these things.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old July 28th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

Not sure about the cycle lanes bit personally.... given the typical
"cycle lane" provision round these 'ere parts (paint the left most bit
of the road green) I would be loath to think that more cycle lanes
would just more of this sort of "solution".

???

didds

Old July 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 27/07/2008 22:23, Paul Luton said,

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/bikes-on-trains/

I've signed that one, but...

Gordon Brown does pay attention to these things.

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site that
has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed anything?
There must be some, surely.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 28th 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:56:12 +0100, Paul Boyd wrote:

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site that
has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed anything?
There must be some, surely.

They took notice of the one that thousands of people signed (was it
the 'road user charging' one?) but I think their response was a cryptic "we
don't care what you think"

peter
Old July 29th 08, 01:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

Paul Boyd wrote:

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site
that has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed
anything? There must be some, surely.

Remember the Highway Code one? They *did* revise the worst clauses
of that.

http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/we-won/

--
not me guv
Old July 29th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Paul Boyd wrote:

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site
that has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed
anything? There must be some, surely.

Remember the Highway Code one? They *did* revise the worst clauses
of that.

http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/we-won/

The petition was part of the campaign, not the totality.

Many people wrote and visited MPs with a view to voting down the Highway
Code revision (only way for MPs to force a change at that stage).

The CTC lobbied hard behind the scenes.

I think a combination of efforts caused the government to included the
amendments.

As for successful petitions, I think the road pricing one might have had an
effect (even if I think the effect was detremental)

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old July 29th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

Paul Boyd wrote:

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site
that has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed
anything? There must be some, surely.

Remember the Highway Code one? They *did* revise the worst clauses
of that.

http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/we-won/

what were considered the worse clauses - 61 and 63?
Old July 29th 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_5_]

Nick Kew said the following on 29/07/2008 01:44:

Remember the Highway Code one? They *did* revise the worst clauses
of that.

OK - that petition may have helped in this case. It was part of a more
concerted campaign though.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 29th 08, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Paul Boyd wrote:

Yeah? Can anyone point to just one, single petition on that site
that has influenced the government's thinking and actually changed
anything? There must be some, surely.

Remember the Highway Code one? They *did* revise the worst clauses
of that.

That wasn't the petition. It is quite usual for the government to bend
over backwards to accommodate the demands of cyclists, and particularly
those, like that one, made by the CTC.

Contrast that with the contempt with which they treat motorist
organisation requests, even those backed by huge petitions.

--
Matt B
Old July 29th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:50:57 +0100
"Nigel Cliffe" wrote:

As for successful petitions, I think the road pricing one might have
had an effect (even if I think the effect was detremental)

Do you think we could organise a campaign to reverse it?

Bikes on trains Don Whybrow UK 4 May 2nd 07 07:12 PM
Bikes on One trains Tony Raven UK 12 January 3rd 07 11:04 PM
Bikes on trains and DRL Alex Potter UK 9 December 15th 06 11:27 PM
Bikes on Trains Tony Raven UK 4 October 16th 05 10:15 AM
Bikes on Trains Simon Parker UK 3 July 22nd 03 01:20 PM