Holyhead / Worcester

Old August 12th 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robert Norton

Default Holyhead / Worcester

Living in Dublin, I'm planning a solo trip from Holyhead to my relatives in
Worcs.(and back), allowing about 8 days and using B&B's. Anyone like to
suggest a good route? must be reasonably direct, as scenic and as
traffic-free as possible.I'm not afraid of hills within reason.
I must obviously start along the A5: is it very busy?
Any "must see" towns along the way? Shrewsbury? - Ludlow?
Appreciate any help. thanks.
Rob Norton

Old August 12th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:03:16 +0100, Robert Norton wrote:

Living in Dublin, I'm planning a solo trip from Holyhead to my relatives in
Worcs.(and back), allowing about 8 days and using B&B's. Anyone like to
suggest a good route? must be reasonably direct, as scenic and as
traffic-free as possible.I'm not afraid of hills within reason.
I must obviously start along the A5: is it very busy?
Any "must see" towns along the way? Shrewsbury? - Ludlow?
Appreciate any help. thanks.

The A5 isn't an ideal road - it's quite busy and narrow in places but
people do ride along there and the scenery is good in some places. You
could follow the route but on the back roads.
You can get access to the UK's maps at http://www.getamap.co.uk
(officially) or using one of the sites that use Openspace (searching
google for 'openspace api demo' will bring up some sites - it works just
like google maps).

Anglesey is OK for cycling across: The new A55 has a hard strip you could
ride on but it's not the nicest route and the country lanes are
better!)
I'd recommend the Menai suspension bridge to get off the island, then from
Bangor there is a cycle route almost all the way along the coast to
Chester (there's at least one dodgy bit where you might have to ride on the
dual carriageway!) but that route is pretty flat. There's a reasonable
route from Chester to Wrexham
(http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/wrexham+chester) on the back
roads and a reasonable route from Wrexham to Whitchurch
(http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...hitchurch-loop) but I've no
experience of going any further.

If there's any bits you're not sure about you could always hop on the
train. If you get a reservation for your bike you should have no problem
getting on at Holyhead as the train starts there but you might have to dig
your bike out from the suitcases and holdalls when you want to get off.

peter
Old August 13th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
scott135

On Aug 12, 8:30*pm, naked_draughtsman
wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Have you tried getting directions on Google Maps? There's a new option
for "walking" which, although only in Beta, strikes me as really
useful in finding routes using only minor roads. I just typed-in
Dublin to Worcester by walking and it rather cleverly used the Dublin-
Holyhead ferry with a route via most of the minor country roads. It
looks, superficially, at least, that it might be a good route for
cycling.

If you want to change one of the legs of any route, you can click on
the route and drag it to another road, too.

Cheers, Scott.
Old August 13th 08, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Robert Norton tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
Living in Dublin, I'm planning a solo trip from Holyhead to my
relatives in Worcs.(and back), allowing about 8 days and using
B&B's. Anyone like to suggest a good route? must be reasonably
direct, as scenic and as traffic-free as possible.I'm not afraid of
hills within reason. I must obviously start along the A5: is it very busy?
Any "must see" towns along the way? Shrewsbury? - Ludlow?
Appreciate any help. thanks.

The Irish Mail 400 goes from Upton Magna (just E of Shrewsbury) out to
Holyhead and back; it may be possible to adapt the route - available at
http://www.aukweb.net/routes/898r.zip to suit. The outbound leg of said 400
goes Lake Vrnwy, Coed y Brenin and Llanberis, and is pretty lumpy, thobut.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old August 13th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
A.C.P.Crawshaw

Robert Norton wrote:
Living in Dublin, I'm planning a solo trip from Holyhead to my relatives in
Worcs.(and back), allowing about 8 days and using B&B's. Anyone like to
suggest a good route? must be reasonably direct, as scenic and as
traffic-free as possible.I'm not afraid of hills within reason.
I must obviously start along the A5: is it very busy?
Any "must see" towns along the way? Shrewsbury? - Ludlow?

You could consider taking the Sustrans route 8 (Lon Las Cymru, Holyhead to Cardiff) into
mid Wales then striking off to the east at an appropriate point.

Alan
Old August 13th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

I tried a route from my parents house to Scotland, where we are taking them
on holiday, just to see how long it would take to walk. Try it. M34 to
Ballater. It's the bit where you cross the Irish Sea that got me, but
thinking about it, it might actually be the quickest!!!

Brian.

Old August 14th 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robert Norton

"A.C.P.Crawshaw" wrote in message
Robert Norton wrote:
Living in Dublin, I'm planning a solo trip from Holyhead to my relatives
in Worcs.(and back), allowing about 8 days and using B&B's. Anyone like
to suggest a good route? must be reasonably direct, as scenic and as
traffic-free as possible.I'm not afraid of hills within reason.
I must obviously start along the A5: is it very busy?
Any "must see" towns along the way? Shrewsbury? - Ludlow?

You could consider taking the Sustrans route 8 (Lon Las Cymru, Holyhead to
Cardiff) into mid Wales then striking off to the east at an appropriate
point.

Alan

Thanks to Alan and everybody. lots of useful info there.
Rob