Hebrides tour TR

Old September 4th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Default Hebrides tour TR

What we did on our holidays...

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm

Might add an equipment supplement at some point, as we changed kit to be
more camping-centric than previous tours, but tent and stove sad cases
like me excepted it's all up.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 4th 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

On Sep 4, 10:45*am, Peter Clinch wrote:
What we did on our holidays...

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm

A very enjoyable read, Peter. Thanks for posting that.

Calum

Old September 4th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
What we did on our holidays...

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm

Might add an equipment supplement at some point, as we changed kit to be
more camping-centric than previous tours, but tent and stove sad cases
like me excepted it's all up.

Couldn't you use the rear mech limit screw to get the gear you wanted? Or
was there not enough to play with?

cheers,
clive

Old September 4th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

"Clive George" writes:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
What we did on our holidays...

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm

Might add an equipment supplement at some point, as we changed kit to be
more camping-centric than previous tours, but tent and stove sad cases
like me excepted it's all up.

Couldn't you use the rear mech limit screw to get the gear you wanted? Or
was there not enough to play with?

We did use the screws for some adjustments, but going up 6 gears or so
from the smallest cog is a lot.

The main lesson is to carry some spare cables, they're cheap and light.

Roos

Old September 4th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Peter Clinch wrote:
What we did on our holidays...

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/sohi1.htm

Might add an equipment supplement at some point, as we changed kit to be
more camping-centric than previous tours, but tent and stove sad cases
like me excepted it's all up.

What a lovely tour! I read the gear cable shearing episode and was
racking my feeble brain to think of a better solution. I must admit I
never thought of the brilliant but simple idea of having a cable sent to
you in the mail. That's one to tuck away in the memory bank, just in case.

It's also interesting that you found some of the island coastal roads
pretty lumpy. I haven't been on many of these islands, but the quick
mental picture before reading your account was of flat, low-lying land,
a cycling doddle in fact.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old September 4th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Brian G wrote:

What a lovely tour! I read the gear cable shearing episode and was
racking my feeble brain to think of a better solution. I must admit I
never thought of the brilliant but simple idea of having a cable sent to
you in the mail. That's one to tuck away in the memory bank, just in case.

Like Roos said, the "better solution" is have a spare since they're not
exactly weight and space intensive! Also, I should probably have
inspected it before we went and would probably have seen it starting to
go: the rear changes have been getting spongy for a bit, so I guess it
went one strand at a time over a long time, and of course finally failed
in a most unfortunate spot!

It's also interesting that you found some of the island coastal roads
pretty lumpy. I haven't been on many of these islands, but the quick
mental picture before reading your account was of flat, low-lying land,
a cycling doddle in fact.

The west coats of South Uist and Benbecula /are/ quite benign in that
respect (though a few notghches up from "doddle"), and you could
probably aim in such a way to minimise effort elsewhere. But I think
that would really miss the point!

Pete.
Old September 4th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Roos Eisma wrote:
"Clive George" writes:

Couldn't you use the rear mech limit screw to get the gear you wanted? Or
was there not enough to play with?

We did use the screws for some adjustments, but going up 6 gears or so
from the smallest cog is a lot.

Of course, having not achieved quite what we'd set out to do it meant
we'd buggered it up when we got the new cable, but it was easy enough to
reset them to the right spot. Getting it tweaked back to full range was
actually remarkably easy.

The main lesson is to carry some spare cables, they're cheap and light.

Just the one would probably do. Plus take a bit more notice of cable
condition before leaving, of course.

Pete.
Old September 4th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Roos Eisma" wrote in message

The main lesson is to carry some spare cables, they're cheap and light.

I do that anyway :-) (getting tandem length cables is a right pain, and I
have been bitten by it, though not on tour.)

cheers,
clive

Old September 4th 08, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 13:21:30 +0100
Peter Clinch wrote:

Roos Eisma wrote:
"Clive George" writes:

Couldn't you use the rear mech limit screw to get the gear you
wanted? Or was there not enough to play with?

We did use the screws for some adjustments, but going up 6 gears or
so from the smallest cog is a lot.

Of course, having not achieved quite what we'd set out to do it meant
we'd buggered it up when we got the new cable, but it was easy enough
to reset them to the right spot. Getting it tweaked back to full
range was actually remarkably easy.

A neater solution would have been to bring the inner cable straight
back to the clamp bolt without running it through the outer casing.

Old September 4th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Rob Morley wrote:

A neater solution would have been to bring the inner cable straight
back to the clamp bolt without running it through the outer casing.

Maybe, but it would have taken a bit longer and been functionally pretty
much identical: there are times for neatness, and bodgery isn't really
one of them!

Pete.