Cycle touring in Europe

Old January 18th 08, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default Cycle touring in Europe

My lovely wife and I will be taking a 3 month European vacation from
September-November this year. We'll be in Germany from mid-October
for a few weeks, and were looking at doing a short cycle tour (or
two). Something up to week long perhaps?

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

Also, if you have any contacts in the region or suggestions of German
equivalents of aus.bicycle that don't mind foreigners posting in
English, I'd be happy to hear about it! ;-)

Thanks,

BTH
Old January 18th 08, 10:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

Around the Bodensee is about a week's fairly easy ride at 50-60km/day. There
is a bike route on either dedicated paths or quiet minor roads the whole way
around the lake - it takes you into Austria and Switzerland as well. Border
controls are pretty much non-existent. There are none between Germany and
Austria, and we just got waved through without being asked to show our
passports when entering and leaving Switzerland.

Nick

Old January 18th 08, 10:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dabac[_106_]

BT Humble Wrote:
.. We'll be in Germany from mid-October
for a few weeks, and were looking at doing a short cycle tour (or
two). Something up to week long perhaps?

First you need to figure out what kind of riding you want to do. For a
more relaxed ride you can tour the vineyards, and/or basically follow
one of the big rivers as they meander through the landscape. Organised
rides are(should be) available (that time of year too), with different
service levels and degrees of support. Or you can head into the alps
which are, all things considered, nearby. October isn't much of a
holiday season (unless you're counting Oktoberfest, which isn't fully
compatible with bike riding...) so I don't know if the organised,
supported tours that runs during summer will still be available.
Wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller gasthauses at the higher
elevations would be closed down for the season too.

Bringing your bike on the train is usually easy, so if you're unable to
plan a looped itinerary it shouldn't be problem with riding out and then
catch a train home.

If you're hoping to stay in towns and villages that mostly looks like
fly specks on the maps some advance planning is recommended to make sure
that you really have a hotel room and an operating restaurant available
at the end of your day's ride.

--
dabac

Old January 18th 08, 10:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

I recommend taking a photograph of yourself in traditional german
lederhosen (so we can point and laugh

G-S

Old January 18th 08, 11:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jan 18, 8:57 pm, G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

I recommend taking a photograph of yourself in traditional german
lederhosen (so we can point and laugh

G-S

Aw heck, you can do that in Hahndorf, when visiting SA for the Tour
Down Under.
Old January 18th 08, 11:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Donga wrote:
On Jan 18, 8:57 pm, G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

I recommend taking a photograph of yourself in traditional german
lederhosen (so we can point and laugh

G-S

Aw heck, you can do that in Hahndorf, when visiting SA for the Tour
Down Under.

I'm not sure that chances to laugh at BTH should be passed up wherever
they happen to occur... so sure... if BTH chances to put on Lederhosen
in Hahndorf then feel free to laugh at him ;-)

G-S
Old January 18th 08, 09:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

G-S wrote:
BTHumble wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

I recommend taking a photograph of yourself in traditional german
lederhosen (so we can point and laugh

You really want me to link to *that* picture, don't you?

BTH
Old January 18th 08, 10:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:
G-S wrote:
BTHumble wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with cycle touring in the region,
recommendations, etc.?

I recommend taking a photograph of yourself in traditional german
lederhosen (so we can point and laugh

You really want me to link to *that* picture, don't you?

BTH

I'm immune to the effects of *that* picture now... *backs away slowly*

G-G
Old January 18th 08, 10:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

You really want me to link to *that* picture, don't you?

I'm immune to the effects of *that* picture now... *backs away slowly*

What scares me is that he turned up at my house a few hours after taking
*that* picture, and left his undies behind.

Theo

Old January 19th 08, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Theo Bekkers wrote:
G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

You really want me to link to *that* picture, don't you?

I'm immune to the effects of *that* picture now... *backs away slowly*

What scares me is that he turned up at my house a few hours after taking
*that* picture, and left his undies behind.

Theo

I think he was geofrpahically confusing it with the 'undies for westies'
charity that's been running in sydney for a few years now.

G-S

Touring in Europe with a road bike Mark D UK 10 May 21st 05 07:38 PM
Touring in eastern Europe Ken UK 3 May 14th 05 04:45 PM
Touring with Pack and Pedal Europe Bob G Rides 0 January 5th 05 08:04 PM
GPS for cycle touring Bob UK 14 February 28th 04 02:52 PM
touring in Europe (tour operators) R. Kent Wenger Rides 6 November 7th 03 08:34 AM