Headlight

Old August 14th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

Default Headlight

Literally - will be mounted to one of these:
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

What do people like these days (as it seems there is something new every
month)?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old August 14th 12, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Aug 13, 8:17*pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Literally - will be mounted to one of these:
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

What do people like these days (as it seems there is something new every
month)?

Seriously -- an ATB helmet from POC? I thought you were a no-helmet
guy. SMS will have a recommendation for a DX headlamp or some other
$75 wonder light. Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagicShine-M...ht_4359wt_1271

1000 lumens Li-ion and under $100. Speaking of SMS, it looks like he
is going to Interbike, where there will be a bunch of lighting
exhibitors. Maybe he can report on the latest technology.

-- Jay Beattie.

PS -- my son has a couple POCs for skiing (his racing and free ski
helmet), but some of the retailers on the mountain are not too
complimentary about the brand in terms of durability. We have had no
problems.
Old August 14th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per "Tom $herman (-_-)"
":
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

"... outer PC shell is constructed with the seems located in the
areas of least exposure."

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Pete Cresswell
Old August 14th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Jay wrote:
On Aug 13, 8:17Â*pm, "Tom $herman (-_-)" ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

There are now clones of the Magicshine. Ebay has several. They use the latest and greatest Cree power LEDs. Around $35, with battery pack, charger, head and bar mounts. You can also get fresnel beam spreaders for them on Ebay for $5. Vastly improve the beam for bikes. I've been using 2 all summer.

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk

Old August 14th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/13/2012 10:39 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

Seriously -- an ATB helmet from POC? I thought you were a no-helmet
guy. SMS will have a recommendation for a DX headlamp or some other
$75 wonder light. Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagicShine-M...ht_4359wt_1271

1000 lumens Li-ion and under $100. Speaking of SMS, it looks like he
is going to Interbike, where there will be a bunch of lighting
exhibitors. Maybe he can report on the latest technology.

Yes, I will be going to Interbike, I try to go every year. I doubt if
there will be anything new and wonderful in terms of lights though.
There's often some ridiculous lights, though those tend to be at Taipei
Cycle, where I haven't been in several years.

Last year at Interbike what was rather amusing was the booth of the U.S.
distributor of MagicShine lights (the lights sold at DealExtreme).
Apparently I was not the only attendee that when asked if I had heard of
Magicshine, responded "sure, on DealExtreme." I think the distributor
was exasperated because given the low markups on DealExtreme, he's going
to have a tough time selling through bicycle shops that insist on 100%
mark-up if end users all know about DealExtreme. I suspect that the $80
Magicshine light is selling for $60 to the distributor who will need to
sell it for $90 to the shops, who will try to sell it for $180.

I think one aspect of the Magicshine lights that's especially attractive
is that spare parts (batteries, cables, lenses, mounts, etc) are so
readily available.

A lot of products that you see at Interbike don't end up in shops and
end up being sold through other channels, even though Interbike's
purpose is to connect bike shops with manufacturers and distributors.
One shop can't sell enough to warrant ordering directly from the
manufacturer, but once a distributor takes their cut, the product is too
expensive.

Old August 15th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

$southslope.net" wrote:
Literally - will be mounted to one of these:
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

What do people like these days (as it seems there is something new every
month)?

Seriously -- an ATB helmet from POC? I thought you were a no-helmet
guy.

Well, the POC has a hard shell and attempts to address the rotational
injury issue (MIPS), unlike the more void than lid pieces of molded EPS
with a strap attached that cost almost as much. The latter I have no
faith in, beyond some minimal bump and scrape protection, and satisfying
a jury that I was attempting to protect my head.

This is my really good lid protection wise (especially at 40% off
sale), but it too hot to wear on a bicycle except in winter (or if I
attempt a kamikaze downhill run in the velomobile):
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/407324_2739171209952_1657089014_n.jpg.
As an aside, the aerodynamics are really good at 125 mph on this one.

SMS will have a recommendation for a DX headlamp or some other
$75 wonder light. Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagicShine-M...ht_4359wt_1271

1000 lumens Li-ion and under $100.

Unlike The World's Greatest Expert, I would rather pay more for
something durable.

Speaking of SMS, it looks like he
is going to Interbike, where there will be a bunch of lighting
exhibitors. Maybe he can report on the latest technology.

Only if it steel, eh?

PS -- my son has a couple POCs for skiing (his racing and free ski
helmet), but some of the retailers on the mountain are not too
complimentary about the brand in terms of durability. We have had no
problems.

Or do the retailers make a better margin on other brands?

Old August 15th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 8/14/2012 8:59 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per "Tom $herman (-_-)"
":
http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1391/trabec-race-mips.

"... outer PC shell is constructed with the seems located in the
areas of least exposure."

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Hey, they are Swedes.

Old August 15th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagicShine-M...Light-Mountain...

1000 lumens Li-ion and under $100.

Unlike The World's Greatest Expert, I would rather pay more for
something durable.

*Speaking of SMS, it looks like he
is going to Interbike, where there will be a bunch of lighting
exhibitors. *Maybe he can report on the latest technology.

Only if it steel, eh?

PS -- my son has a couple POCs for skiing (his racing and free ski
helmet), but some of the retailers on the mountain are not too
complimentary about the brand in terms of durability. We have had no
problems.

Or do the retailers make a better margin on other brands?

Could be, although POC has a huge presence on the mountain, so the
margins must be good enough. The race shops are just snobbish and have
a definite preference for Uvex, Briko and the usual suspects (whatever
Lindsey Vonn is wearing). POC is seen as less serious, although it
has gained some credibility recently because of its use by some A-
listers. It's all about who wears/rides what when it comes to skiing
-- very odd and worse than bikes.

Anyway, give us a review on the helmet. I wonder if the weight or
bulk will be an issue. Riding a recumbent, you probably would not
experience the same neck-related issues suffered by us poor, deceived
DF riders.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 15th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

Well, I almost forgot about ordering ears for the lid. Decisions,
decisions.

http://stores.zooheads.com/-strse-All-Ears/Categories.bok

Anyway, give us a review on the helmet. I wonder if the weight or
bulk will be an issue. Riding a recumbent, you probably would not
experience the same neck-related issues suffered by us poor, deceived
DF riders.

Hey, I have an upright bike too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spincyclz/6051689140/in/faves-19704682@N08/.

Somewhere I still have a mid 1980's Kiwi bicycle helmet with a sticker
on the back that said "440 g", that I used to wear while riding a
Peugeot P-8. And of course, I am used to wearing a 1560g lid at the
track, where I pull over 1G braking, cornering, and accelerating many
times per lap with no ill effects.

Old August 16th 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Swedish ? good place for that designbrain, needed.

I have 2 Ctek batt chargers, with brains, hooked to an inverter, charghing 2 Optima Yellows, now powering a Dell 1705E.

Finding then chargers, thru SummitRacing whose selling of the Cteks sold the Ctek as I had difficulty moving fom the field to Ctek.

Ctek, off course has an Optima Icon station on the charger exactly for Optima specs.

I'm de;leriously pleased with the rig

FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 08:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
What headlight do I need? Schorschi Techniques 103 December 5th 05 06:44 PM
Have you seen this (LED) Headlight? [email protected] General 1 November 21st 05 05:53 PM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM