How the LBS fixes rivnuts installed by wannabel bike mechanics

Old February 18th 16, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default How the LBS fixes rivnuts installed by wannabel bike mechanics

TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html
Old February 18th 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 18th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
: TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

:Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

Least tooling intensive way is a series of drill bits, starting small,
and working up. When the inner part gets thin, it can be deformed and
removed or pushed through. If you do it a lot, there are specialized
cutters and fixtures to do it in fewer steps.

--
sig 38
Old February 18th 16, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 3:31:23 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

-- Jay Beattie.

It's for jobs like these that drill bits are sold in sets. Start with a small bit, drill a pilot hole, fit a slightly bigger bit, and so on, until the rivet you want to remove is just a thin shell which you can squeeze with pliers so it comes out without damaging the hole.

That's the easy party. The more difficult part is fishing for bits that fell inside that will rattle irritatingly.

Andre Jute
Old February 18th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/18/2016 10:53 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
: TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

:Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

Least tooling intensive way is a series of drill bits, starting small,
and working up. When the inner part gets thin, it can be deformed and
removed or pushed through. If you do it a lot, there are specialized
cutters and fixtures to do it in fewer steps.

See
http://electricalequipment.tpub.com/...07-14_34_1.jpg

For a bike, that would rely on having the frame tube open at the bottom
(say, into the bottom bracket) so the body of the rivnut could be taken
out. I wouldn't want one rattling around inside a frame tube as I rode.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 18th 16, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:31:19 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.
-- Jay Beattie.

Use a button head rivet extractor like this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451731_200451731
http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4332.html
https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=1341S
http://www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=344&ProductID=154
These are very common among aviation mechanics, where the typical
general aviation flying machine is held together with blind rivets.

The basic idea is to keep the drill centered in the middle of the
rivet or rivnut using the head as a guide. As long as the head is not
mutilated, that should work. The rest is picking the correct size
drill bit. You're on your own for figuring out how to remove what's
left of the rivet and shavings from inside the frame.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 18th 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/18/2016 7:31 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

You grind the top off, let the bottom go into the frame, then shake out
the the bottom piece through the seat tube or bottom bracket.

Of course you have to be extremely careful when grinding. I'd make a
shield out of thin piece of steel, with a hole drilled into it, to
prevent the grinding wheel from contacting the frame and I'd do the last
little bit with a tiny metal file. Use a small rotary tool for most of
the grinding.

Old February 18th 16, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/18/2016 7:53 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
: TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

:Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

Least tooling intensive way is a series of drill bits, starting small,
and working up. When the inner part gets thin, it can be deformed and
removed or pushed through. If you do it a lot, there are specialized
cutters and fixtures to do it in fewer steps.

That may work for a Rivnut that isn't spinning, but probably not for one
that is already loose. For a loose one you grind the top off until you
can push the bottom into the frame. Then you shake out the piece in the
frame through the bottom bracket or seat tube.

Old February 18th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 7:54:00 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
: TROLL BAIT (ONLY ON RBT -- ELSEWHERE CONSIDERED USEFUL INFORMATION):
: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...tlebosses.html

:Still useful. I wonder what the method is for removing a rivnut without wallowing out the hole.

Least tooling intensive way is a series of drill bits, starting small,
and working up. When the inner part gets thin, it can be deformed and
removed or pushed through. If you do it a lot, there are specialized
cutters and fixtures to do it in fewer steps.

This guy does it in a single pass with a right-sized drill bit. It must not enlarge the hole, because when he withdraws the bit, the old rivnut is on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gqT...M-ZnkD&index=2

It is not immediately apparent to me how this tool works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gkY...M-ZnkD&index=5

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 18th 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It wasn't clear to me either in the live action version.
Try the manufacturer's animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJMd...ature=youtu.be

it's an EDM process. Probably the best way to deal with a
lot of the same rivets in a series, seems excessive for most
cyclists' home repairs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/