high powered torch as a headlight

Old May 19th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex

Default high powered torch as a headlight

Hello,

Thinking about getting a high powered (Cree LED emitter) torch as a
headlight. 200+ lumens output.

I dont expect it to be as good as a bicycle headlight with similar lumen
output (eg. ayup/dinotte), but how far off would it be? They are much
cheaper.

Anyone else use one? how does it go? Any tips for mounting it to the bike?

Old May 19th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 18, 10:39 pm, "Rex" wrote:
Hello,

Thinking about getting a high powered (Cree LED emitter) torch as a
headlight. 200+ lumens output.

I dont expect it to be as good as a bicycle headlight with similar lumen
output (eg. ayup/dinotte), but how far off would it be? They are much
cheaper.

Anyone else use one? how does it go? Any tips for mounting it to the bike?

A google of the archive with the 'merican of torch will get you
started:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...rch+this+group

Old May 19th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_215_]

Rex Wrote:
Hello,

Thinking about getting a high powered (Cree LED emitter) torch as a
headlight. 200+ lumens output.

I dont expect it to be as good as a bicycle headlight with similar
lumen
output (eg. ayup/dinotte), but how far off would it be? They are much
cheaper.

Anyone else use one? how does it go? Any tips for mounting it to the
bike?

If it is up to C-Cell Sized:
Two Fish Cycle Black will mount it to the handlebar.

See:

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcart...29.htm#image_1

Beam pattern is often an issue, but a different lens assembly can care
for it.
I think it may be worth "chasing down" the combination. Chalo has
contributed a lens assembly suggestion in a similar posting a few weeks
ago.

--
daveornee

Old May 19th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 19 May 2008 13:39:01 +1000, "Rex"
may have said:

Hello,

Thinking about getting a high powered (Cree LED emitter) torch as a
headlight. 200+ lumens output.

I dont expect it to be as good as a bicycle headlight with similar lumen
output (eg. ayup/dinotte), but how far off would it be? They are much
cheaper.

Anyone else use one? how does it go? Any tips for mounting it to the bike?

Can work OK, but rigging the mount securely may prove more of a task
than expected.

The quickie test to see whether the light will serve well is in the
test ride with it in your hand.

Old May 20th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Rex:
Anyone else use one? how does it go? Any tips for mounting it to the bike?

I swear by mine. I've got a "real" bike lite - hub generator
driven - to make me legal, but it's not enough to see by.

I'm able go hold mine in one hand while that hand still holds the
bar and operates the brake. Big hands, I guess.... but holding
it gets around any beam pattern issues since it can
redirected/swept back-and-forth as needed.
--
PeteCresswell