28mm tires too wide?

Old December 18th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Default 28mm tires too wide?

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything
relevant by searching.

I've got a pair of 700c x 28 Panaracer Paselas that I intended to use
on my commuter bike. I'm not exactly sure what the width of the rims
are -- subjectively I'd describe them as being standard road-racing
style rims. They're Arayas, and the previous tires were WTB Caminos
700x23.

I put the Paselas on and the intertube (@80 psi) on the rear started
bulging out the side and popped. I figured I did something wrong and
tried again. This time it worked fine, and I rode the tires a couple
hundred miles before getting a puncture. After repairing the tube, I
remounted the Pasela (again, the rear), pumped it to 80 psi, and the
tube bulged and popped yet again.

I've never had this bulging problem with any other tire, so I'm
thinking that it's just too wide for the rim - but that's surprising to
me as 28 mm seems pretty conservative for a "wide" tire.

So do you think that the tire/rim combo just aren't compatible, or am I
just incompetent when it comes to mounting tires?

Thanks..

kw tyre tyres

Old December 18th 05, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

whoops, meant to put this in the tech group. sorry..

Old December 18th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:06:23 -0800, brainwaster wrote:

[...]

I can't imagine your tire and rim are out of spec enough to cause
problems. Does the tire seem way too easy to mount/dismount?

More likely you're getting your tube caught between the tire and rim. This
is a common mistake and not hard to do. Some tubes are a lousy fit, which
makes it more likely. The biggest problem is when their overall diameter
is too small. So instead of pressing snugly against the inside of the
tire, they tend to sit in the rim bed where it's too easy to get them
pinched. The other problem is if the tube is too fat for the tire. It's
actually easier to mount a too-skinny tube, and some riders use them for
this reason.

Matt O.
Old December 19th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Sir,

Should not have a problem. I run easily 32c tire son normal rims on a
cross bike and never had a problem.

You most likely need to seat the tire before pumping the inner tube.
When done installing go around the whole wheel making sure the tube is
not pinched in any part. Once done just pump.

P.S. Tha tsi why white rim liners are used by many. Easier to see a
black inner tube against a white background.

--
xavier

Old December 19th 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you're using a folding tire, you'll never get it to stay on an older
Araya rim. Those rims often did not have a "hooked" bead and therefore are
not capable of holding on to a pliable tire bead. . . use wire bead tires
only on non-hook bead rims. . .