internal to external gears

Old May 13th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter

Default internal to external gears

Hi

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible (in
general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to using
external gears? Obviously the rear wheel would either need to be
replaces, or at least fitted with a new axel and spokes.... or what?

Thanks,
Peter
Old May 13th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
Hi

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible (in
general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to using
external gears?

Possible? Yes. Practical? No. If you're in the part of the world where
700c 3/5/7/8 Nexus replacement wheels are common, then this is the
best option--if the part needs to be replaced.

Has the obvious been checked? Is there bearing play? Is the shifter
worn? Is the cable adjusted properly? It could be a cheap fix--but
seven years on a well used city bike could very well mean that it's
time for a fresh hub.

Old May 13th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter

landotter wrote:

On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your comments. The bike mechanic said the hub was shot, not
that he opened it to look at what exactly was wrong. It would be
cheaper to replace the whole hub than to try to fix it.

The entire real wheel rocks about 1 to 2 cm from side to side, so I
guess something is pretty broken.

/Peter
Old May 13th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 13, 9:06*pm, "Peter" wrote:
Hi

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

It might be rebuildable (probably expensive) or you could just buy an
entire new wheel with a new Nexus 7 speed already fitted. It might be
smart to buy an appropriate so-called "fitting kit" at the same time,
depending on how battered the anti-turn washers are.

There are some wheels with Nexus hubs he
http://sport.search.ebay.de/nexus_Fa...Qsacat Z22688
and it looks like you should be able to get a 7 speed gear hub wheel
for around 100 Euro plus postage. The 8 speed Nexus goes for around
120-130 Euro now on Ebay, but to use that you would need the
appropriate fitting kit, possibly a rollerbrake (unless you have rim
brakes), and a gearchange controller (similar to the most likely
rotary control for the 7 speed you have now but for 8 speeds). If you
have a coaster brake on your 7 speed Nexus hub, you should probably
avoid expense and fitting difficulties for another brake by buying
another coaster brake hub.

If you go look on the Paul Lange site you will find exploded drawings
for the Shimano parts which will show you how the parts relate.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible (in
general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to using
external gears? Obviously the rear wheel would either need to be
replaces, or at least fitted with a new axel and spokes.... or what?

It depends on the frame. If it was custom-made to fit the internal
gears, there is usually nowhere to hang the derailleurs and chain
tensioner.

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Old May 13th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 13, 9:30*pm, "Peter" wrote:
landotter wrote:
On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
[...]

That might just mean the axle is loose in the track ends. Get the
fitting and maintenance instructions from the Paul Lange site and just
check for a start that everything is bolted up correctly, and then
follow the instructions for adjusting the gearbox -- it is a lot
easier than you might think, and you can do it without any tools.

Andre Jute

Old May 14th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter skrev:

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible (in
general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to using
external gears? Obviously the rear wheel would either need to be
replaces, or at least fitted with a new axel and spokes.... or what?

Appearently on can add the device below on bikes without gear drop
out:
http://www.roseversand.de/output/con...0&detail2=1807

So if you could live with only 8-10 gears* you could perhaps get away
with such a device, one new rear shifter. Eg. Sram Shimano compatible
"Attack" shifters are sold individually, a new derailleur, cables,
chain, cassette and rear wheel. A Deda "Dog Fang" and a bash guard
would be nice too, so as to avoid chain drops.
* The gear spread would be closer though than on the Nexus hub.

Not sure if it is a much cheaper option even if you do it yourself.

Do check if the axel is broken. I vaguely remember that roll brake
hubs can snap axels if the "contra torque" arm wasn't attached when
braking.
Also check the races in the bearings. I do believe that the races
aren't replaceable on the Nexus hubs, so if the races are shot, then
so are the hub.

Converting it to a singlespeed is perhaps the cheapest thing to do.

--
Regards
Old May 14th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Peter wrote:
Hi

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

This sounds like far too much money to me. I'd seek a second opinion.
I can't find any links but a replacement hub can't be much over a
hundred, and in my experience, that's the same cost a new wheel.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible (in
general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to using
external gears? Obviously the rear wheel would either need to be
replaces, or at least fitted with a new axel and spokes.... or what?

I wouldn't, you'd need cables, shifters, new wheel, cassette, hanger, it
wouldn't be the cheap option, brake levers might be an issue as well.
Old May 14th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter

Tosspot wrote:

Peter wrote:
I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which has an
internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is basically
unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it would cost about
170 to 200 Euros to replace.

This sounds like far too much money to me. I'd seek a second
opinion. I can't find any links but a replacement hub can't be much
over a hundred, and in my experience, that's the same cost a new
wheel.

Actually this was 2 opinions. One guy told me it would cost about 170,
another about 200. 75% of the cost was the actual gear hub - the work
was about 25% of the total price.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is possible
(in general) to change a bike from using an internal gear hub to
using external gears? Obviously the rear wheel would either need to
be replaces, or at least fitted with a new axel and spokes.... or
what?

I wouldn't, you'd need cables, shifters, new wheel, cassette, hanger,
it wouldn't be the cheap option, brake levers might be an issue as
well.

Yes - it does seem it is not easily possible. Unfortunately I have
never really been completely satisfied with the internal gears -
doesn't really seem to have the same "range" as an external system, and
I always found external gears easy to adjust and maintain. Not that
there has been much maintanence really with the internal hub, just that
when something does need to be done it seems a lot harder.

Thanks,
Peter
Old May 14th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter

Andre Jute wrote:

On May 13, 9:30*pm, "Peter" wrote:
landotter wrote:
On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
[...]

Hi - thanks for the tip. Do you have the url to that website?

/Peter
Old May 14th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Peter" wrote in message
k...
Andre Jute wrote:

On May 13, 9:30 pm, "Peter" wrote:
landotter wrote:
On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
[...]

Hi Peter,

Hold on there a bit. This is classic bearing failure. But so what - as
long as you can spin the wheel and you do not hear or feel metal
grinding on metal, the races are probably fine. In any case until
someone actually looks at the bearings, your "mekanics" are just blowing
air out their asses.

If you go he

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...l_service.html

click Technical Documents, you get

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

put the cursor over Comfort and find your hub, then download it. You will
get an exploded drawing. Here is the URL for one for example:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830615762.pdf

When I looked at it I thought Sheesh how simple, I was taking apart and
fixing stuff like this when I was 15 years old.

If the bike mechanic you are using doesen't want to touch it (sounds like it
to me)
then find another one or take it apart yourself. Why not - if your
convinced that
the hub is shot and your going to replace it, then take the thing apart so
you can
see how it works - what are you going to do, break it? It's a learning
experience.

I doubt the race is shot, I suspect more likely that the ball retainer
inside the bearing
is damaged and 1 or more bearings have fallen out. That part can be tossed
and
new and more bearings added. Most of the time ball bearing retainers are
for pussies
anyway, all they do is make it easy for someone on an assembly line to slap
together
bearings a mile a minute.

A mechanic that makes a "replace it with a new part your part is shot"
diagnosis
without even taking it apart, simply is either a tremendous lazy-ass, or
incompetent,
or just has a lot of work already lined up that he can do in his sleep,
since he's
done it over and over and over again. None of which you want to reward by
tossing them money for taking a part out of a box and replacing it on your
bike.

These hubs are designed to be taken apart and rebuilt. Parts are available.
Just
because the locals you have talked to are too unimaginative to e-mail a
credit card number
to a foreign distributor and get a part mailed to them doesen't mean that
it's not
possible to do it. Print out the exploded diagram, go back to your
mechanic,
and tell him to get off his butt and show you the "shot" bearing race.

Ted

Replacing external bearing bb. w/ Internal James R. Lewis Techniques 3 July 31st 06 02:18 PM
Internal gears DJ UK 28 February 5th 06 10:29 PM
Why no internal gears on Bianchi Castro Valley? Sheldon Brown Techniques 4 January 14th 06 07:22 AM
Dynohubs, internal gears and brakes David Martin UK 3 November 21st 05 11:38 PM
Rohloff Speedhub - external versus internal cable box James Thomson Techniques 7 March 6th 04 01:54 AM