internal to external gears

Old May 14th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter

Default internal to external gears

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Hold on there a bit. This is classic bearing failure. But so what -
as long as you can spin the wheel and you do not hear or feel metal
grinding on metal, the races are probably fine. In any case until
someone actually looks at the bearings, your "mekanics" are just
blowing air out their asses.

If you go he

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/.../en/technical_
service.html

click Technical Documents, you get

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

put the cursor over Comfort and find your hub, then download it. You
will get an exploded drawing. Here is the URL for one for example:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te.../EV/bikecompon
ents/SG/EV-SG-7R46-2128C_v1_m56577569830615762.pdf

When I looked at it I thought Sheesh how simple, I was taking apart
and fixing stuff like this when I was 15 years old.

If the bike mechanic you are using doesen't want to touch it (sounds
like it to me)
then find another one or take it apart yourself. Why not - if your
convinced that
the hub is shot and your going to replace it, then take the thing
apart so you can
see how it works - what are you going to do, break it? It's a
learning experience.

Absolutely. I had come to the same conclusion myself. Instead of losing
the thing to the mechanic, I can remove it myself, and either try to
repair it or replace it with a new one. In any case, if I really can't
refit it (or a new one), I can take it to the bike mechanic like I was
going to do anyway.

Thanks for the links.

/Peter
Old May 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

Get a copy of Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual out of library (an old
book) has detailed exploded views of internal gear hubs. Won't be
exactly your hub but close enough. I redid a 3 speed hub once with
only the book and no knowledge, didn't even need any parts.
Old May 14th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Peter wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

On May 13, 9:30*pm, "Peter" wrote:
landotter wrote:
On May 13, 3:06 pm, "Peter" wrote:
Hi

I have an approx 7 year old bike (a Nishiki 407 hybrid) which
has an internal gear hub (called a "Nexus SG-7R46).

The gear hub has recently become very "sloppy" and now is
basically unusable. The local bicycle mechanic has told me it
would cost about 170 to 200 Euros to replace.

Before I accept this offer, I was just wondering if it is
possible (in general) to change a bike from using an internal
gear hub to using external gears?

Possible? Yes. Practical? No. If you're in the part of the world
where 700c 3/5/7/8 Nexus replacement wheels are common, then this
is the best option--if the part needs to be replaced.

Has the obvious been checked? Is there bearing play? Is the
shifter worn? Is the cable adjusted properly? It could be a cheap
fix--but seven years on a well used city bike could very well
mean that it's time for a fresh hub.

Thanks for your comments. The bike mechanic said the hub was shot,
not that he opened it to look at what exactly was wrong. It would be
cheaper to replace the whole hub than to try to fix it.

The entire real wheel rocks about 1 to 2 cm from side to side, so I
guess something is pretty broken.

That might just mean the axle is loose in the track ends. Get the
fitting and maintenance instructions from the Paul Lange site and just
check for a start that everything is bolted up correctly, and then
follow the instructions for adjusting the gearbox -- it is a lot
easier than you might think, and you can do it without any tools.

Hi - thanks for the tip. Do you have the url to that website?

/Peter

You could just go straight to Shimano -- this is your gearbox:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...=1210772869827

Here's an alternative direct link to the tech docs for the Nexus Inter
7 gearbox and brake and shift controls:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...=1210772871066

More parts via the "Comfort" tab to the left of the page.

Here is Paul Lange's Shimano site. He is, as far as I can make it, the
main German or possibly Continental distributor of Shimano gear. Since
his site is mainly aimed at bike shops, it has much more detailed info
than Shimano's own site, which is aimed at consumers.

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/

There is actually an English version somewhere but you'll have to find
it yourself; I just use the German version which anyhow gives you the
choice, IIRC, of downloading English datasheets (I long since
downloaded all the datasheets of all the Shimano components I have on
my bikes and keep them on my computer and printed out in a book of
plastic leaves I take to my LBS if the bike goes there). Go down to
"Support" and root around. Here are some further links you might visit
at Lange:

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/komfort/

Somewhere on these huge compilations of pages, possibly on this one,

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/sh...onszeichnungen

is a detailed description of how to take apart, service and reassemble
a Nexus Inter-8 internal hub, so I assume that there is one for the
Inter-7 hub as well. If you can't find it, I'll be happy to send you
by e-mail (4.4Mb pdf) the version for the 8-speed hub I have on my own
computer. I cannot imagine that the disassembly method would be very
different between the 7 and 8 speed hubs.

One final note: it might be possible to order just the internal
assembly of the 7-speed hub, rather than buy a whole new wheel with a
new hub spoked in. The internal assembly has a part number and I've
seen it advertised.

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Old May 15th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

"cmcanulty" wrote in message
Get a copy of Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual out of library (an old
book) has detailed exploded views of internal gear hubs. Won't be
exactly your hub but close enough. I redid a 3 speed hub once with
only the book and no knowledge, didn't even need any parts.

I thought that Sturmey Archer manufactured virtually all 3 speed hubs
for almost a half century, even the ones OEMed by other people.

Ted

Old May 15th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

On May 15, 12:31 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:
"cmcanulty" wrote in message

[...]
I thought that Sturmey Archer manufactured virtually all 3 speed hubs
for almost a half century, even the ones OEMed by other people.

Ted

I think it's very true that S-A made "virtually all 3 speed hubs for
almost half a century", but I had not heard that S-A hubs were ever re-
branded under other names. Raleigh made *bikes* under a lot of brands,
some their own and some the brands of various retailers worldwide, and
S-A hubs were used by unrelated makers (Schwinn, CCM, etc), but I
*think* S-A hubs were always marked S-A.

Apparently BSA for a while made a 3-speed hub similar to (based on?
licensed from?) S-A's, but the chief alternative was a Japanese-made 3-
speed. It's instantly recognizable by a little lever gizmo in place of
the spindle chain, and also the non-branded shifter. The ones that
I've seen are only marked in Japanese. I have it in my head, but don't
know where I heard it, that they were made by Shimano, or the company
which became Shimano.

Chip C
Toronto
Old May 15th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
I thought that Sturmey Archer manufactured virtually all 3 speed hubs
for almost a half century, even the ones OEMed by other people.

Hercules, Shimano, Sachs and Steyr?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 15th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

On May 15, 12:31 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

[...]

Chip C wrote:
I think it's very true that S-A made "virtually all 3 speed hubs for
almost half a century", but I had not heard that S-A hubs were ever re-
branded under other names. Raleigh made *bikes* under a lot of brands,
some their own and some the brands of various retailers worldwide, and
S-A hubs were used by unrelated makers (Schwinn, CCM, etc), but I
*think* S-A hubs were always marked S-A.

Apparently BSA for a while made a 3-speed hub similar to (based on?
licensed from?) S-A's, but the chief alternative was a Japanese-made 3-
speed. It's instantly recognizable by a little lever gizmo in place of
the spindle chain, and also the non-branded shifter. The ones that
I've seen are only marked in Japanese. I have it in my head, but don't
know where I heard it, that they were made by Shimano, or the company
which became Shimano.

You refer to the classic Shimano type F and type FA gearboxes with a
pushrod and bell crank control.

The Suntour three speed hub was a Sturmey AW.
Old May 17th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On 13 May 2008 20:30:36 GMT, "Peter" wrote:

Thanks for your comments. The bike mechanic said the hub was shot, not
that he opened it to look at what exactly was wrong. It would be
cheaper to replace the whole hub than to try to fix it.

Nexuses should be fixable by replacing the entirety of the internals,
which you can do without respoking and thus for a lot less than 200 euros.

Jasper
Old May 18th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

On May 15, 2:50 pm, A Muzi wrote:
On May 15, 12:31 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

[...]

Chip C wrote:
[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

A "bell crank"! There's a *name* for that! I think I most recently saw
it implemented on an IKEA lamp socket.

Just earlier this evening, in the course of confirming that my 3-
spline S-A sprocket *ought* to just lift off the driver, I ended up
reading not only about the Shimano 3-speeds but also about the
(presumably rare) SunTour-branded S-A hub; also about German (Sachs)
and Austrian (Steyr) -made 3-speeds. The latter having parts
interchangeability with S-A was presumably a knock-off or licensed or
something, but not being made in the UK not made *by* S-A.

Chip C

Replacing external bearing bb. w/ Internal James R. Lewis Techniques 3 July 31st 06 02:18 PM
Internal gears DJ UK 28 February 5th 06 09:29 PM
Why no internal gears on Bianchi Castro Valley? Sheldon Brown Techniques 4 January 14th 06 06:22 AM
Dynohubs, internal gears and brakes David Martin UK 3 November 21st 05 10:38 PM
Rohloff Speedhub - external versus internal cable box James Thomson Techniques 7 March 6th 04 12:54 AM