Cycling Mayor

Old February 21st 09, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

Default Cycling Mayor

Boris Johnson, former British Conservative M.P. and now Lord Mayor of London
since 2008 is a cyclist who has had his share of trouble with bicycle thieves.
He says he'd like to plant decoy bicycles all over London and "in the evening I
would send Navy Seals in through the thieves windows and show them what it's all
about."
I'd vote for him even though he might have to settle for a squadron of SAS or a
troop of Royal Marine Commandos.
However, he did break with Parliamentary tradition by openly endorsing Barack
Obama for President so maybe he will now be able to borrow some actual Seals for
the job.

Link and excerpt from the news article below.

PH

http://www.thecnj.co.uk/islington/03...031607_06.html
BORIS Johnson has called for "Sharia law for bicycle thieves".
Fed up with having his bike stolen, the outspoken Tory MP, of Furlong Road,
Holloway, wants to get tough on the thieves.
He made the comments at the annual meeting of the Islington Cyclists' Action
Group at the Town Hall on Wednesday night.
Mr Johnson arrived on his bike fresh from the Commons vote on the Trident
missile system, proclaiming, fist aloft, "Cyclists for the bomb!"
He lamented the recent theft of his bike from the racks at Euston station.
He said: "Well, that's Blair's Britain. Another time they took the bolts out of
my front wheel outside the Screen on the Green (cinema in Upper Street).
"I think these people deserve punishment and I'm calling for Sharia law for
bicycle thieves.
"If I had my way I would plant decoys in a whole lot of bicycles across the
borough and in the evening I would send Navy Seals in through the thieves'
windows and show them what it's all about."