One Responsible Mayor

Old September 14th 16, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default One Responsible Mayor

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37360543

I assume he's as inept and dishonest as most officials
worldwide, but for one day on one issue I salute him.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 14th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/14/2016 8:47 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37360543

I assume he's as inept and dishonest as most officials worldwide, but
for one day on one issue I salute him.

sigh I get tired of the claims that most (or all) officials (or
politicians) are inept and dishonest. I've known quite a few over the
years. I've worked on projects and committees with them. Yes,
occasionally there are jerks - guys who will lie and cheat for their own
good, guys who are just unreasonable and obstructive. But almost all
have gotten into politics because they love the community they live in
and want to help the community, not because they intend to use politics
to get rich. They've volunteered to do a difficult job, because they
realize someone has to do it.

This doesn't mean I agree with all of them. But even in the most
intense disagreements, I understand that those on the other side have
been working for what _they_ think is best for the community.

And as someone once said: The problem is, everybody thinks they're right!

BTW, I've also known quite a few bike shop workers. I've come across
some who have cheated on supposed complete overhauls, who have pushed
mis-sized bikes on customers, who have taken positions that I think are
detrimental to cycling. But most bike people are motivated by a love
for cycling, not by a desire to get rich. IOW, I've seen little
difference in the two groups.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 16, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/14/2016 10:16 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I don't know.
So if your position is 'more inept than nefarious' I won't
argue. (results the same either way)

Old September 14th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 8:16:44 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

snip

There is also a difference between politicians and public servants. I was over at the court house the other day, and one of the brand-new judges came over and gave me a hug -- a woman that I used to work with a million years ago. She is a stellar intellect and now earning probably a third of her previous income. She just wanted to be a judge. It's like getting Einstein to teach high school. I know lots like her -- really smart people who decided they wanted to do public service. She was appointed and will have to run again, but it will be an uncontested election as usual.

We just elected a mayor with impeccable credentials, but he is the product of a contested election in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Portland. He will be a one-term mayor unless he pays homage to the downtrodden, re-appropriates funds for the public drum circle and otherwise fritters our money away on feel-good programs. It's a foregone conclusion. An elected official has to play to his or her constituency -- or become a former elected official. Voters are to blame for a lot of the idiocy in government.

The trick is finding a city with a smart electorate that understands the value of money but also has pride of place and a reasonable approach to public services. They will elect like-minded people. Maybe I could find a commune run by accountants.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 14th 16, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

They will elect like-minded people

who will buy $10 tires for you goo.gl/z21CbU

Old September 15th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/14/2016 12:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well in my city, the city council is essentially a wholly owned
subsidiary of developers, the Chamber of Commerce, building contractors,
and the local Rotary Club chapter. Rotary is technically non-political,
and officially it doesn't back specific candidates or issues, but the
club is dominated by those with a political agenda. This ownership
extends to city officials in many cases.

I am running for city council and I haven't taken money from developers,
even though it's been offered. Another candidate initially seemed good
too, but then the developers threatened him. A developer sued me. My
hope is that all the developer-owned candidates split the pro-developer
vote, leaving me with enough sustainable growth votes to win. We'll see.
I am not getting my hopes up though.
Old September 15th 16, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Your industry is the same as Big Napalm

the ida is run into the ground real quick. Look around Madison n requalify.

Madison was not built on hair shirts, 5 year plans of gruel n pneumonia.

Mad was built on Dirksonian Economics n bank loans to GI's way before qualifying squalids.

There be no good reason to not allow the well off spending their tax money on bike paths.

In the jungle the mighty jungle

the repo man stalks tonight

eyayayahahayaya

Old September 15th 16, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 4:12:40 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Alas, I cannot help but to reminisce. I was a DJ at KSJS, the FM station run by SJSU. I had a late shift and part of my job was broadcasting the evening city council meetings -- which could run up to midnight. It was a live feed, and I would play music during the breaks and listen for people to return. During a station break one evening, I had the nerve to say something to the effect of "this is KSJS, 90.5 in San Jose and you're listing to the San Jose city council meeting starring Mayor Janet Gray Hayes."

The phone lit up. It's some caller who wants to read me the riot act: "there are no stars on the San Jose City Council!" WTF? Someone is listening to this drivel this late at night? The evening meetings were for the people who had day jobs and came in at night to ask for variances or to air whatever petty grievance they had, usually in connection with a public hearing on one thing or another.

It was so boring to me that I had a nuclear bomb sound effect on one turntable and the trio from the Star Spangled Banner on the other, and I would bring up the music when some citizen got carried away and then drop the bomb when appropriate. Nobody called me on that. Ah, the good old days.

-- Jay Beattie, signing off (pops in cart with national anthem).

Old September 15th 16, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 3:29:22 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of a smart electorate. As I've said before, it's too bad we
can't make people pass a test before being allowed to vote. Yes, I know that
idea's been badly abused before; but it would be OK if they just put me
in charge of the test. ;-)

Failing that, maybe communities (or communes, for that matter) should post
online resumes, so potential citizens could get an idea what they're
in for before they choose whether or not to move in.

- Frank Krygowski