Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

Old January 4th 19, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:43:22 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I try not to ride in either rain or snow. I ride for enjoyment. I have no mental, psychic, or psychological problem that makes me ride when its not fun to ride. I guess that makes me crazy. I just ride when its enjoyable. Actually I try to only do things that are enjoyable and try not to do anything unenjoyable. Again, crazy me.

But as already stated by others, snow means cold. Its 32 or colder when there is snow. Rain means warmer than snow. Its above 32 with rain. Rain and snow are identical except for the temperature. I like to be warmer than colder. So if I had to choose between the fire or stove for being burned, I guess I would choose the rain. Its going to be warmer.
Old January 4th 19, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 7:51:20 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:43:22 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I try not to ride in either rain or snow. I ride for enjoyment. I have no mental, psychic, or psychological problem that makes me ride when its not fun to ride. I guess that makes me crazy. I just ride when its enjoyable. Actually I try to only do things that are enjoyable and try not to do anything unenjoyable. Again, crazy me.

But as already stated by others, snow means cold. Its 32 or colder when there is snow. Rain means warmer than snow. Its above 32 with rain. Rain and snow are identical except for the temperature. I like to be warmer than colder. So if I had to choose between the fire or stove for being burned, I guess I would choose the rain. Its going to be warmer.

The weather determines what clothes I wear, which bike I use, which route I take and how long I ride. Overal it should be enjoyable. Icy roads are becoming too dangerous for me. Fresh snow is wonderful, but only for a very short time. We don't get that very often here.
I don't commute when it is raining, snowing or blistering hot because that is not fun when you have to work. Commuting by bike in general is not fun for me because of the ugly urban route and the traffic. I only commute by bike when I have to which is seldom.

Lou
Old January 4th 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:27:59 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I commute by bike most days -- not when its icy (usually), and if I'm having a high mileage week and need some rest, I'll skip riding to work and will take the car. Even in bad weather, it is so much less stressful than driving on congested roads. Portland traffic has gotten terrible, and we have narrow roads. The place has 1950s infrastructure.

I lose about 400 feet elevation going in to work which, amazingly, can yield different weather conditions at my house than downtown, so some mornings I will ride in light ice (not sheet ice) assuming that it will turn to water two miles down the road. Sometimes it doesn't. I recall one commute when I was ice skating down the road -- a busy arterial -- when I encountered another cyclists. We looked at each other and almost simultaneously said "what the f*** are we doing?" I try to avoid those moments. Like I said, commuting in fresh snow can be fun and faster than driving -- but the fun only lasts for a day or two.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 4th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

" writes:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:43:22 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I try not to ride in either rain or snow. I ride for enjoyment. I
have no mental, psychic, or psychological problem that makes me ride
when its not fun to ride. I guess that makes me crazy. I just ride
when its enjoyable. Actually I try to only do things that are
enjoyable and try not to do anything unenjoyable. Again, crazy me.

But as already stated by others, snow means cold. Its 32 or colder
when there is snow. Rain means warmer than snow. Its above 32 with
rain. Rain and snow are identical except for the temperature. I like
to be warmer than colder. So if I had to choose between the fire or
stove for being burned, I guess I would choose the rain. Its going to
be warmer.

I find that it's much colder and more miserable to ride in rain at 33F
than snow at 31F. Heat transfer is not entirely about temperature
differences.

Old January 4th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 17:43:20 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

If it's cold, I don't ride when there is *any* chance of getting
rained on. You can die of being wet at fifty-five degrees.

Snow bounces off.

I've ridden in the rain much more often than I've ridden during a
snowfall. I've never ridden in snow that obscured my vision, but on
one memorable day, it rained so hard that I couldn't even see well
enough to get off the road. At last, a bank loomed through the
downpour and I took shelter on their porch until it let up.

The following day I climbed a hill wearing walking shoes that had been
safe in a plastic bag, and coasted down after lunch wearing the cleats
that had been airing in my wire pannier. (Shoes don't dry worth a
nickel in a basement Youth Hostel.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 4th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/3/2019 10:15 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:03:36 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/3/2019 8:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I ride my bicycle all year round which means I ride it in both rain and snow. To me rain or snow have certain advantages and disadvantages over each other. I like the rain because once it stops the roads are soon dry again. However, I sometimes prefer the snow because when it's dry snow falling you don't have to worry as much about getting wet like you do if it's raining and you've left your rain gear at home. However again, I don't like deep snow when it's been only salted and not plowed which turns it into a grease-like substance that has not traction for anything. Snow too can hide holes and or cracks in t he road surface and those holes or cracks can deflect a front wheel.

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I think I would prefer riding in snow, if it were not so blasted cold.
These days (as previously mentioned) I have problems with riding in cold
weather, meaning anything below 40F.

So when I do ride in snow, it's short distances only. I kind of like
riding fresh snow, just because it seems playful and adventurous. I did
lots of it as a kid, and I'm pretty good at avoiding crashes. But I'm
not a fan of rutted or re-frozen snow.

Gentle rain is OK, but not really fun in my book. Hard rain is less fun,
and rain plus wind is worse. The only exception has been those times on
super-hot days that I got caught in refreshing showers.

A sort of related question :-)

A while ago you talked about breathing problems in cold weather and
several folks recommended a mask. Did you try that and what were the
results.

I haven't tried it because I've been coughing since before Christmas.
And because of that, the only riding I've done has been short (typically
1 mile) utility rides right near home.

I'm just back from the doctor, starting meds to reduce bronchial
inflammation. Getting old is hell.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:43:22 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I ride my bicycle all year round which means I ride it in both rain and snow. To me rain or snow have certain advantages and disadvantages over each other. I like the rain because once it stops the roads are soon dry again. However, I sometimes prefer the snow because when it's dry snow falling you don't have to worry as much about getting wet like you do if it's raining and you've left your rain gear at home. However again, I don't like deep snow when it's been only salted and not plowed which turns it into a grease-like substance that has not traction for anything. Snow too can hide holes and or cracks in t he road surface and those holes or cracks can deflect a front wheel.

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

Cheers

It all depends. I prefer snow in the winter over cold rain - cold rain is icky and yucky and makes for a nasty cold/wet commute and makes one hate life.

Rain in warmer months is welcome, for it ads a sense of adventure and somewhat of a narcissistic notion over vehicular traffic... stuck in traffic.
Old January 4th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/3/2019 10:41 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Is there any demand for ash lumber? I believe that in New England some
elm trees infected or killed by the Dutch Elm Disease are being
gobbled up by companies that specialize in making solid wood
furniture.

My understanding is that there is value in fresh ash, but that when an
ash tree dies, its value goes to zero in a year or so. Supposedly the
wood becomes too brittle.

One proposal was to harvest all the ash in this forest, paying something
like $40,000 for the privilege. It would have destroyed large patches of
the forest floor, which is famous for its wildflowers (some quite
exotic). And it would have left massive piles of branches at the site of
each tree. The public rejected that idea.

Within a year, the price of ash had fallen so low that all such ideas
were out the window. Supply had greatly exceeded demand.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 4th 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/4/2019 11:25 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Huh. I thought they would burn the branches on site to roast
the little buggers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/