Big Snow, Ride Hard

Old January 3rd 04, 03:29 AM
aspenmike

Default Big Snow, Ride Hard

"FIRE IN THE HOLE" is all I hear, as I keep walking up the steep pitch
with my head down trying to keep the bone chilling wind off of my
exposed face. I finally reach the starting point for my avalanche
control route. I pull out the explosives, arm them, yell "FIRE IN THE
HOLE", and throw the charge over the edge into the starting zone of the
avalanche path. "BOOM", the charge goes off with a soul shattering
sound, I peek over the edge to see the results. This time, just a big
hole in the snow. The snow is coming down at 2" per hour rate, I know we
are in for a HUGE snowstorm! This means lots of over the head powder
turns, but also lot of avalanche control work. This was today, an EPIC
day in Aspen.
Tomorrow, my day starts in the pre-morning darkness riding the chairlift
to the top, 11,600'. It is a strange feeling riding up the mountain in
the dark, looking down to the valley floor where most people are still
snoozing away. After getting off the chairlift at the top, we will begin
trudging through waist deep snow to find the sweet spot for our
avalanche explosives. The Central Rockies is in the middle of a
wonderful snow cycle, but with snow cylces comes avalanches. I am
anxious to get up early and see what mother nature has brought
overnight, today we recieved almost 2 feet of snow, and up to 2 more
feet predicted tonight and tomorrow. This avalanche control work makes
you realize your alive!
But so does Unicycling! And to think that just yesterday I went on a 2
hour COKER ride in the snow/ice roads.
All this story comes down to is "LIFE IS GREAT!" , get outside and enjoy
it.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old January 3rd 04, 08:36 AM
tomblackwood

aspenmike wrote:
*" I am anxious to get up early and see what mother nature has brought
overnight, today we recieved almost 2 feet of snow, and up to 2 more
feet predicted tonight and tomorrow. *

Nice! I remember a few of these rare occassions at Alta and Snowbird
when I was living in Utah. My first day ever at Alta was literally
chest deep after the canyon had been closed for two days. That was also
my first "super deep western powder" experience, which needless to say I
wasn't quite prepared for. Thankfully the powder chops came over time,
and the deep stuff kept coming too.

Thanks for such a great write-up Mike. I look forward to hearing about
the rest of the storm around the campfire in Moab.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old January 5th 04, 12:50 AM
aspenmike

44" of champagne powder, great for the soul. What a dump, 40 hours
straight of Colorados finest snow. I couldnt even get on ski's or Uni
today, my legs are spent. Avalanche control routes all day yesterday,
Fire in the Hole! Besides the bomb blasts, all that could be heard on
the mountain was the locals hooting and hollering with every turn. Tele
turns were over the head, had to time your breathing so as not to choke
on the champange powder. Hard to think of Uni riding when the skiing is
this good, sorry. Although, I'm sure some of you had some great rides
this weekend. Any tele skiers out there?

Old January 5th 04, 06:31 AM
nathan

Mike that sounds fantastic. Yes I had a good ride this weekend, no not
in snow. Beau was up at Tahoe for 2 days of boarding - his first chance
to sample deep powder (which he loved).

Fire in the hole,
Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old January 5th 04, 04:16 PM
aspenmike

The snowboarding must have been awesome for Beau, do you get up to the
mountains and ski? Nathan, I'm thinking about upgrading to a new 36", is
your Hunter working out for you? How would I go about getting one of
those? Thanks and spin a few miles for me.

| Attachment filename: highlandbowl and da boys.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/182840|

Old January 5th 04, 06:49 PM
dazedNcontused

aspenmike wrote:
*Any tele skiers out there? *

Yeah, or I will be if we ever get some decent snow! Eastern Canada (or
at least the Ottawa area) is off to a terrible start. They're calling
for snow this week so it should get better for next weekend.

I'll have to wait 'til next month for the annual boys' trip to Fernie
for real powder though...

Tim

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147