First rain ride of the season

Old October 19th 04, 09:06 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Default First rain ride of the season

From today's entry in the almost-daily diary at
www.ChainReaction.com/diary.htm

10/19/04- STILL THERE'LL BE MORE. A great song from the way-back days by
Procol Harum. What made it appropriate today was the line "I'll bathe my
eyes in a river of salt" which was exactly what happened on this morning's
ride. Not because it was hot, but because it was raining. Really raining.
Absolutely dumping, in fact, for the first seriously wet ride of the
season... which means that all the salt in your helmet pads (which you
should have cleaned beforehand but never got around to) was liberated by the
stream of water pouring down through your helmet. Ouch!

In a peculiar way, the season's first rain ride is something I look forward
to. Rather than it being a hassle (getting out the rain bike and the piles
of rain-appropriate apparel), it's an adventure. The absurdity of going
riding when sane people stay home and drink coffee and wish for nicer
weather is somehow motivational. You even look forward, the night before, to
waking up and hearing the rain & wind pouring over the house.

But don't look to your family for sympathy or support. Not even the dog,
who, annoyed (or scared?) by all the noise outside, stood about six feet
from the door and barked at it. They don't get it (but at least the dog
pretends to want to fight it!).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old October 19th 04, 10:40 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message news
From today's entry in the almost-daily diary at
[...]

So did you ride your Trek 5900 or your Vintage Cinelli in the rain?
I was thinking the other day, that would be an easy decision to make.
I would go with the 5900, since it can be replaced. How would one replace a
vintage Cinelli?
-tom

Old October 20th 04, 12:57 AM
Tim McNamara

writes:

10/19/04- STILL THERE'LL BE MORE. A great song from the way-back
days by Procol Harum. What made it appropriate today was the line
"I'll bathe my eyes in a river of salt" which was exactly what
happened on this morning's ride. Not because it was hot, but because
it was raining. Really raining. Absolutely dumping, in fact, for
the first seriously wet ride of the season... which means that all
the salt in your helmet pads (which you should have cleaned
beforehand but never got around to) was liberated by the stream of
water pouring down through your helmet. Ouch!

In a peculiar way, the season's first rain ride is something I look
forward to.

Wow, Mike, you live in an entirely different climate than I do. Here
in Minnesota, you'd have this opportunity a couple of times a week
about 35 weeks a year. The rest of the weeks are below freezing...

Old October 20th 04, 02:12 AM
Terry Morse

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

In a peculiar way, the season's first rain ride is something I look forward
to. Rather than it being a hassle (getting out the rain bike and the piles
of rain-appropriate apparel), it's an adventure.

Mike,

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one out in that deluge today. I
managed only one lap on Old La Honda, which was littered with tree
bits that the wind and rain had sent hurtling to the pavement. I
would have done some more climbing (must stay on track towards the
200-mile mark, 53,640' to go), but descending through the debris was
not pleasant. Of course, the first rain ride of the season wouldn't
be complete without a flat tire. Glad to have that out of the way.

One more thing. This will be the year that I get some fenders.
Eating mud thrown up by the front tire is not that enjoyable, after
all.

54th Birthday Ride Olebiker General 12 November 17th 04 03:09 AM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Curse be damned, I got to ride! Rick Onanian Rides 0 April 23rd 04 04:09 AM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
Lar's 24 hr ride part 2 Cokerhead Unicycling 4 July 18th 03 01:34 AM