grease for aluminuim/carbon

Old March 2nd 05, 07:28 PM
panda

Default grease for aluminuim/carbon

My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
I use lithuim grease between the two?

Thanks

--
uk to net for response

Old March 2nd 05, 09:07 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:28:27 -0000, "panda" may
have said:

My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
I use lithuim grease between the two?

No.

Old March 2nd 05, 10:42 PM
panda

My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim.
Can/should
I use lithuim grease between the two?

No.

should I use anything?

cheers panda

Old March 2nd 05, 11:11 PM
A Muzi

panda wrote:
My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim. Can/should
I use lithuim grease between the two?

Thanks

No.

You're welcome.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 2nd 05, 11:26 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:42:00 -0000, "panda" may
have said:

My TCR has a carbon seat post that sits inside a aluminuim shim.
Can/should
I use lithuim grease between the two?

No.

should I use anything?

Again, no, unless specifically recommended by the maker of the carbon
part...which is generally not going to be the case.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:50 PM
Weisse Luft

Dry and degreased. Carbon and aluminum are a bad mix because of the
large difference in electronegetavity. The aluminum will oxidize
rapidly from galvanic corrosion so all carbon posts are covered in a
tough, thin protective layer. Grease can compromise this layer, making
it soft and then glavanic corrosion will destroy your frame or at least
make the post stuck beyond any chance of removal.

--
Weisse Luft

BICYCLE grease [email protected] Techniques 2 February 16th 05 01:58 PM
Barium grease? B i l l S o r n s o n Techniques 104 October 20th 04 06:59 PM
new chain grease g.daniels Techniques 22 September 3rd 04 03:19 AM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM