Bike Share graveyard

Old November 25th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike Share graveyard

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance
Old November 25th 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-25 06:57, wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

It's sad. They should have at least had the wisdom to donate those
discarded bicycles to an underdeveloped country where even one lone
bicycle in the family can make the difference between being able to earn
a couple of bucks a day or not, and feeding the family. There are still
people in this world who have to schlepp their produce to market on
foot, over lots of miles.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 25th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

look around, the lot is for recycling
Old November 26th 17, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

recycling en mass is industrial practice for costs. needs a buyer, short shipping.

what's the Chinese cost stripping one bicycle ? or is this necessary with a 'sorter' post crush ?

Old November 28th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2017-11-25 12:45, wrote:
look around, the lot is for recycling

Yeah, right, into the crusher, sort, melt. The usual. If you take a look
at the height of the pile it becomes obvious that the bicycles were
likely literally thrown onto that pile without any care whether they'd
be damaged. Many won't even have a straight frame anymore.

This is how it's done right:

http://www.keeploupbasinbeautiful.or...life-to-bikes/

Two companies want to set up dockless bike sharing in my city. They've
come to City Council meetings with their bicycles to pitch their
company. There's a Limebike in my city hall office. I have my doubts as
to the success of such a venture and I have concerns about the liability
of the City. The bicycles are so incredibly heavy that I doubt that they
would be stolen.
Old November 28th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-11-25 12:45, wrote:
look around, the lot is for recycling

Yeah, right, into the crusher, sort, melt. The usual. If you take a look
at the height of the pile it becomes obvious that the bicycles were
likely literally thrown onto that pile without any care whether they'd
be damaged. Many won't even have a straight frame anymore.

This is how it's done right:

http://www.keeploupbasinbeautiful.or...life-to-bikes/

Two companies want to set up dockless bike sharing in my city. They've
come to City Council meetings with their bicycles to pitch their
company. There's a Limebike in my city hall office. I have my doubts as
to the success of such a venture and I have concerns about the liability
of the City. The bicycles are so incredibly heavy that I doubt that they
would be stolen.

Vandalism can be more widespread and as expensive as theft. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ands_bike.html

Bike share programs also bite into private business. http://www.wweek.com/bikes/2017/04/2...nd-bike-shops/

Cities are inefficient business operators and already subject to enormous risk. In Cupertino, I think there would be a very low reward versus risk. It would be a novelty program. Is there any similarly diffuse area where bike share programs have really worked. Do they work anywhere? I think the jury is still out in Portland.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 29th 17, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:11:09 -0800, sms
wrote:

Two companies want to set up dockless bike sharing in my city. They've
come to City Council meetings with their bicycles to pitch their
company. There's a Limebike in my city hall office. I have my doubts
as to the success of such a venture and I have concerns about the
liability of the City. The bicycles are so incredibly heavy that I
doubt that they would be stolen.

We've had the "Nice Ride" public bikes with docks all over Minneapolis
and St. Paul for several years. one or two "dockless" bike rental
companies want to come into town. The response of the current company
is interesting- they are basically going to fold up shop, go way and
turn over the business to the new companies, stating "mission
accomplished" (the mission having apparetnly been to prove the viablity
of the concept. Almost literally not a day goes by that I don't see
people riding those bikes around town (except in the winter when they
pull the bikes in off the streets). The "Nice Ride" bikes have been
astonishingly successful, to me at least, whereas prior programs failed
miserably- including programs where there was no cost to the user at
all.