Kevlar Tires

Old August 10th 03, 10:00 PM
Neil Smith

Default Kevlar Tires

Dear All,
I am a great fan of Kevlar re-enforced tires. Punctures are largely a thing
of the past. I retire(!) the tires when the rubber tread goes. How long can
you cycle on the Kevlar before the tire blows?

Old August 10th 03, 10:48 PM
Bill Davidson

Neil Smith wrote:
Dear All,
I am a great fan of Kevlar re-enforced tires. Punctures are largely a thing
of the past. I retire(!) the tires when the rubber tread goes. How long can
you cycle on the Kevlar before the tire blows?

Why would you want to ride on it after the rubber has worn through?
It takes many thousands of miles to do this with most tires so I can't
imagine that money is really an issue here. Tires are pretty cheap
if you only buy them every 3-10 years (depending upon the tire and how
much you ride).

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old August 10th 03, 10:51 PM

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:00:58 +0100, "Neil Smith"
wrote:

Dear All,
I am a great fan of Kevlar re-enforced tires. Punctures are largely a =

thing
of the past. I retire(!) the tires when the rubber tread goes. How long=

can
you cycle on the Kevlar before the tire blows?

In my experience, built-in Kevlar belts don't help much. To get =
meaningful
puncture protection you have to go with some heavy liners.

Old August 11th 03, 06:26 AM
Golightly F.

"Bill Davidson" ...
Neil Smith wrote:
I retire(!) the tires when the rubber tread goes.

Why would you want to ride on it after the rubber has worn through?

Huh?

It takes many thousands of miles to do this with most tires snip ---

Huh?

Two (2) maybe three (3) thousand...and... the rear will fatigue, (wear),
quicker than the front.

hth

Old August 11th 03, 07:16 AM
Neil Smith

Previously, I used 'Tuffty Tapes' which did not work nearly as well. Besides
they would tend to wear through the inner tube.