Wanted: Frameset Buying Advice in Boston Area

Old June 8th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Default Wanted: Frameset Buying Advice in Boston Area

I recently moved to the Boston area from Minneapolis and I could use
some advice on buying a frameset for my fiancee. I'd like to set her
up with a good quality, older steel frame, but I haven't had any luck
looking in the Globe or at any of the Belmont-area bike shops that
I've been to. I did the same sort of thing for myself a year ago in
Minneapolis and had good luck at a community bike shop that sold used
bikes and at an auction of impounded bikes run by the police
department. Are there any similar places (or other good venues to
search) in the Boston area?

Thanks,

John

Old June 8th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Jun 8, 8:09 am, still me wrote:
On 8 Jun 2007 02:18:15 -0700, wrote:

I recently moved to the Boston area from Minneapolis and I could use
some advice on buying a frameset for my fiancee. I'd like to set her
up with a good quality, older steel frame, but I haven't had any luck
looking in the Globe or at any of the Belmont-area bike shops that
I've been to. I did the same sort of thing for myself a year ago in
Minneapolis and had good luck at a community bike shop that sold used
bikes and at an auction of impounded bikes run by the police
department. Are there any similar places (or other good venues to
search) in the Boston area?

What's "older" mean to you?

FWIW, Belmont and the burbs right around Boston tend to be upscale,
trendy biking and finding someone willing to sell an old frame instead
of something leading edge is less likely. There is a shop in Maynard
that deals in old bikes but he tries to find unique stuff and sell it
for too much money.

Craigs list does have some frames now and then... or there's always
ebay. Sometimes you have to buy a complete bike to get the frame you
want and sell off the components you don't need.

I'd be happy with something from the 80's, 90's or newer that was well-
built, probably of 531 or Columbus SL. Stuff that isn't considered
trendy anymore and isn't overpriced as a result.