Bear mauls teen during 24-hour mountain bike race in Alaska

Old June 30th 08, 05:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Bear mauls teen during 24-hour mountain bike race in Alaska

Unfortunately, the response will probably be to kill the bear, rather
than to cancel the races. Humans have no business mountain bike racing
for 24 hours, giving the wildlife no time to use their habitat!

Mike

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:01:01 +0000
Subject: Bear mauls teen during 24-hour bike race in Alaska

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Anchorage police say a teenage girl taking part in
a 24-hour bike race was severely injured after a grizzly bear attack.

The girl was riding early Sunday on a park trail when attacked. She
used her cell phone to call 911 but was unable to communicate.

Another biker found the mauled girl around 1:30 a.m. and called
police.

Medics were escorted by officers with shotguns into the dark woods to
retrieve the girl.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 30th 08, 12:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

Default Bears mauls hiker in BC, Hiker Then Kills Bear.

On Jun 30, 12:11*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Typical selfish hiker...

http://news.aol.ca/article/bc-grizzl...rvivor/252399/

A man from B.C.'s Interior not only survived being mauled by a grizzly
- he killed the bear as well.

John Shorter, 38, was hiking near Dease Lake in Northern B.C. Tuesday
when he said he smelled a bear in the area.

"I heard a woofing sound, turned, seen a grizz coming at me. I managed
to get my rifle up and get one round into the chest.... At that point
he got on top of me, obviously, and took me down," Shorter said. "He
proceeded to try to maul me in the back of the scalp and on the neck,
and I protected my neck with my hands. They got fairly chewed up."

The bear was biting at his hands, which were covering his neck, so he
dropped his rifle. He scrambled to get it back, eventually putting
some distance between himself and the bear.

He shot the animal a second time, this time killing it.

"You just put yourself in overdrive and try and not get yourself
killed," Shorter said. "It's an amazing amount of adrenaline going
through yourself.... You get lots of thoughts going through your mind
but you think about, obviously, your family and it's worth living, so
fight."

After killing the bear, Shorter picked up his rifle and staggered back
to his vehicle.

"I got back in my pickup, grabbed a drink of water, got my thoughts
straight. I noticed my shoulder was dislocated. I managed to pop it in
myself and thought I'd better go and get some help," Shorter said.

He drove to the nearby community of Iskut for medical treatment.

Shorter escaped the attack with what he called minor injuries. He
received 40 stitches, and suffered a broken hand and multiple puncture
wounds.

"You know, if you're in that situation, all you can do is fight for
all you got. I mean, I don't think I'm any different from anyone
else," he said.

Shorter is still recovering at his home in Smithers. Conservation
officials continue to investigate the attack.

Old June 30th 08, 02:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Kyle J.

Default Sad

Simply amazing. A newsgroup made up almost entirely of troll dung. I came,
I saw, I'm washing off my feet and going back to my life.

Old July 1st 08, 06:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
bluezfolk

On Jun 30, 6:48 am, Siskuwihane wrote:
[...]

I guess following MV's logic, humans have no business hiking in the
wilds and giving the animals no time to use their habitat.
Old July 2nd 08, 01:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:05:02 -0700 (PDT), bluezfolk
wrote:

[...]

That's what I've said from the beginning: wildlife need and deserve
habitat off-limits to humans.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 2nd 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

[...]

Sorry, you are a mountain-biker, Michael J. Vandeman, and what you say
is not to be trusted.
Old July 8th 08, 09:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Siskuwihane" wrote in message

That's what I've said from the beginning: wildlife need and deserve
habitat off-limits to humans.

Sorry, you are a mountain-biker, Michael J. Vandeman, and what you say
is not to be trusted.

JS
Mike Vandeman is an idiot that is not to be trusted. He lies and distorts
the truth and ignores facts that do not fit his agenda. If Mike has his way,
you will go to a museum and pay money to see what nature looks like.

He advocates maiming people, or supports advocates that actually do maim
people.

/JS

Old July 9th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

"Siskuwihane" wrote in message

That's what I've said from the beginning: wildlife need and deserve
habitat off-limits to humans.

Sorry, you are a mountain-biker, Michael J. Vandeman,

Liar.

You are calling the wrong person a liar, Liar. You should learn how to post,
idiot.

Disc Burner 12 Hour Mountain Bike Race MuniSano Unicycling 0 March 21st 08 03:34 PM
13 hour mountain bike race - Leesburg Virginia siafirede Unicycling 3 March 13th 08 08:45 PM
13 hour mountain bike race - Leesburg Virginia siafirede Unicycling 0 March 10th 08 12:24 AM
Epic Bear Mountain race Bill C Racing 7 May 8th 05 06:28 PM
Mountain lion, its territory violated, mauls interlopers in California Poppa Capp Australia 17 January 12th 04 02:10 AM