Frame Lights for being seen by

Old September 11th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

Default Frame Lights for being seen by

So now that I'm riding into work pretty much everyday and the UK
mornings/evenings are getting darker I'm looking at buying some new
lights.
These are lights to be seen by not to see by. I have a modified helmet
light I can use for that if needs be.

This is for road riding.

Current I have the Blackburn 'Mars 3.0 LED Safety Rear Light'
(http://tinyurl.com/5h3y7w) which is really bright and mounts to my
seatpost.

I really need a front light however and welcome any suggestions. I was
thinking of the 'Knog Bullfrog 5 Led Front Light'
(http://tinyurl.com/5888em) as it looks like it will attach to the seat
post easily and shouldn't get in the way of my legs.

What to other people here use / suggest.

--
norry

*YouTube [ 'Videos Here' (http://uk.youtube.com/11norry11) ]*
Old September 11th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

The said mention helmet light. Basically a 3W LED head torch attached
with zipties. Used for night muni rides.

|Filename: helmet.JPG |

Old September 11th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

When I'm unicycling on the road I usually put the lights on me rather
than on the unicycle. I tend to put a rear light on the
camelbak/rucksack and a little head torch as a front light if it's not
dark enough to use the full-on helmet lamp. Sometimes I'll attach the
head torch on the front of my forearm rather than on my head (if I
can't be bothered to attach it to the helmet).

I'm not sure where you could mount a front light on a unicycle where it
wouldn't be obscured by your legs from all but straight-ahead. I've
seen people with little LED lights on the seatpost, but I feel more
visible with them higher up. There is the legality thing though - as
far as I'm aware you are legally required to have lights attached to
the cycle rather than to the rider, but I've never had any hassle from
police (I think in practice they're more concerned about whether you're
visible).

I've got a flashing blue valve cap that is very visible, but presumably
illegal on the road (I've only ever used it in xc races). Might well
get some official moaning about using flashing blue lights. Another
colour would probably be OK though.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old September 11th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

Cheers Rob, the Mars back light i use also has 2 orange side LED's as
well which helps. It can also clip onto my bag so i might do that and
use my 5 LED red cateye mounted to the seatpost as well.

I might try and see if there are any lights that i could attach to my
shoulder straps and wear them on the front.

Rob does having the light on your person catch your eye when you are
riding?

Old September 11th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
norry

There is also these 'Omni Front Light' (http://tinyurl.com/66qns8) which
could possibly be mounted in pairs on the forks?

Old September 11th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

norry wrote:
Rob does having the light on your person catch your eye when you are
riding?

It's never bothered me - you only see it if you look down. In fact, if
it's misty it's actually less annoying than having it head-mounted
because it doesn't reflect back in your face. I find it quite
convenient strapped to my arm, almost at shoulder height. My arm stays
still enough when road riding not to wave the light around too much. I
tend to put it on the front of my right arm, so it's not going to be
hugely visible from the extreme left side, but I'm pretty
skinny-chested to it's not too bad. A light that could clip onto the
front of a rucksack strap in the middle of the chest would probably be
better, but I don't unicycle on the road enough to be worth buying a
light just for that.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old September 11th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfcolorado

I like the Knog Frog
http://www.knog.com.au/Product.aspx?productId=158
Small, but can be see from far away.

--
surfcolorado
Old September 12th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

rob.northcott wrote:
I've got a flashing blue valve cap that is very visible, but presumably
illegal on the road (I've only ever used it in xc races). Might well
get some official moaning about using flashing blue lights. Another
colour would probably be OK though.

It probably wouldn't.

The 1989 lighting regs [1] didn't allow flashing lights, or lights
fitted to wheels.

The 2005 amendments to those regs [2] allow lights fitted to wheels
(sub-paragraph (j) added to regulation 12(2)). They also allow the use
of flashing lights (sub-paragraphs (g) and (h) added to regulation
13(2)).

They don't, however, go so far as to allow the use of flashing lights
fitted to wheels (although that doesn't stop me using red TyreFlies on
my bike through the winter).

IANAL.

[1] http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

[2] http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

--
Danny Colyer

'http://www.redpedals.co.uk' (http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/)
"I don't think proofreading is adequate. All posts should be waxed and
buffed. Then they should wear little tuxedos." - Greg Harper on usenet
Old September 12th 08, 10:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I sometimes use a rear light attached to unicycle (cateye one), and have
a rear light on helmet and front light on helmet (A high powered LED
light I built myself, with both front + rear lights).

Also, one thing I've also done on all my commuter unicycles and my muni
(in case of long ride outs in the dark), is to put reflective trim tape
on the frames and seatposts, red on the back, white on the front and
the sides of the frame.

I use 'this stuff' (http://tinyurl.com/4ncqam) from Halfords - one red
and one white roll will do 2 unicycles. I've had a look at my unicycle
when someone was pointing car headlights at it and it is just silly -
my (quite bright) red LED light just pales into insignificance next to
the reflective stuff. As a bonus, it never runs out of batteries, and
seems to stay on the frame really well - even on the muni. On my hockey
unicycle, I've got no brake, so I have tape on the rim too, which is
cool.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new
pics' (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old September 12th 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phil

joemarshall wrote:

I use 'this stuff' (http://tinyurl.com/4ncqam) from Halfords

I've used some of that stuff on a few bikes, unicycles and the back of
my helmet; it is indeed silly bright. The only bad thing is that in
Halfords it's normally hidden away with all the furry dice, "princess
on board" bumper stickers and neon lights...

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."

Anyone seen these lights Tony Australia 2 May 18th 08 11:27 AM
Light Theft (solutions — small pocket lights, or heavy duty well secured lights?) David Johnson UK 24 August 29th 07 02:32 PM
DIY HID Lights? Gurrie Australia 13 January 20th 05 10:30 PM
S-sun lights paul Australia 8 December 15th 04 10:44 AM
Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights Truepurple Techniques 30 November 17th 03 04:02 AM