Cycling in Bandon: The International Expert Report.

Old July 27th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Cycling in Bandon: The International Expert Report.

Cycling in Bandon: The International Expert Report.
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/c...expert-report/

Andre Jute
Ride tall
Old July 27th 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

ride away ......
Old July 28th 16, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:29:05 PM UTC+1, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
ride away ......

Do tell us, Jeff, how did you know that "ride away" is the Irish vernacular for "carry on riding"? We also have "work away" for "permission enthusiastically granted", and many other "aways" to indicate enthusiastic support for various activities. Dunno how it came about.

Andre Jute
Not many people know that -- Michael Caine
Old July 28th 16, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Andre Jute wrote:

ride away ......

Do tell us, Jeff, how did you know that "ride
away" is the Irish vernacular for "carry on
riding"? We also have "work away" for
"permission enthusiastically granted", and many
other "aways" to indicate enthusiastic support
for various activities. Dunno how it
came about.

Andre Jute Not many people know that -- Michael
Caine

Isn't at least "fire away" quite common?
Tho about the enthusiasm part, I'd say it is
often ironic as in this example [1]

Person 1: My girlfriend dumped me.
Person 2: *sigh* Fire away...
Person 1: Blah blah blah

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Fire+Away

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 28th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 12:19:38 AM UTC+1, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

ride away ......

Do tell us, Jeff, how did you know that "ride
away" is the Irish vernacular for "carry on
riding"? We also have "work away" for
"permission enthusiastically granted", and many
other "aways" to indicate enthusiastic support
for various activities. Dunno how it
came about.

Andre Jute Not many people know that -- Michael
Caine

Isn't at least "fire away" quite common?
Tho about the enthusiasm part, I'd say it is
often ironic as in this example [1]

Person 1: My girlfriend dumped me.
Person 2: *sigh* Fire away...
Person 1: Blah blah blah

[1] http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Fire+Away

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -

You may be right, Emanuel, but that's no excuse for contradicting me.

Seriously, in Ireland, which is the country I explicitly referred to, there is no ironic content in "work away".

As for the self-styled Urban "Dictionary", it is a disgrace, no more a dictionary than the wretched Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.

Andre Jute
Wordsmith