material to do clamps

Old July 13th 16, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default material to do clamps

I found a good starting point to do clamps.
I don't know what it is called but it works
great. It is cuttable with pair of nippers if
you cut first and then ruck back and forth
a few times until it lets go. The holes makes
it very easy to fold and the big holes are good
for M5 bolts. Today a used it to fasten the
fender stays that are on the outside of the
fender with a special bolt that often breaks,
and with this, it took only a couple of minutes
to do two such clamps to hold the back and
front stays!

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...p-material.jpg

- so far: 57 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 13th 16, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:I found a good starting point to do clamps.
:I don't know what it is called but it works

: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...p-material.jpg

It appears to be pipe hanging strap. Used by plumbers to hang pipes
and the like.

--
sig 64
Old July 13th 16, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 04:21:05 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

I found a good starting point to do clamps.
I don't know what it is called but it works
great. It is cuttable with pair of nippers if
you cut first and then ruck back and forth
a few times until it lets go. The holes makes
it very easy to fold and the big holes are good
for M5 bolts. Today a used it to fasten the
fender stays that are on the outside of the
fender with a special bolt that often breaks,
and with this, it took only a couple of minutes
to do two such clamps to hold the back and
front stays!

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...p-material.jpg

I can't tell from your photo but is it some sort of black finish on
the metal itself or paint?

But do buy yourself a 4 inch angle grinder, with some 1mm cut-off
wheels and some sanding disks for finishing. Nice cleanly cut ends
with maybe a bit of rounding looks so much nicer than them old
scraggly broken off ends :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 13th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I can't tell from your photo but is it some
sort of black finish on the metal itself
or paint?

No, it is just metal on a white piece of paper,
if it looks like some black finish it is some
photovisual side effect.

It is indeed a piece of pipe hanging strap as
suggested!

But do buy yourself a 4 inch angle grinder,
with some 1mm cut-off wheels and some sanding
disks for finishing. Nice cleanly cut ends
with maybe a bit of rounding looks so much
nicer than them old scraggly broken off ends
:-)

OK, perhaps this month even if they aren't too
expensive. How much are they in Thailand?
I suppose not that different from in the west
tho relatively speaking they are still cheaper
because everything else is much cheaper (e.g.,
food) so you have more money to put
on hardware, right?

- so far: 57 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 13th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I found a good starting point to do clamps.
I don't know what it is called but it works
great. It is cuttable with pair of nippers if
you cut first and then ruck back and forth
a few times until it lets go. The holes makes
it very easy to fold and the big holes are good
for M5 bolts. Today a used it to fasten the
fender stays that are on the outside of the
fender with a special bolt that often breaks,
and with this, it took only a couple of minutes
to do two such clamps to hold the back and
front stays!

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...p-material.jpg

As David said that is a pipe hanging strap. Two caveats: Unless they are
always under tension they will eventually break. The other is that the
cut ends and sometimes also the sides will rust.

I would not fasten a luggage rack with that. If you really have to use
this material make sure to file down and sand any sharp corners. Else
your next crash or even just picking up the bike could result in a nasty
gash.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 13th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/13/2016 7:08 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Not sure what he's doing to the fenders with that. I have several bikes
with fenders and have never had any bolts for the fender clamps break.

I used to fabricate quite a few handlebar clamps, frame clamps, and rack
stays, but nowadays it's much easier to buy these sorts of products,
pre-made, online, though generally not from any bicycle shops.
Considering the time and materials, it's generally a bargain to not make
this stuff yourself anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs: 4, 7, 13, 16, 21, 37

Old July 13th 16, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I found a good starting point to do clamps.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...p-material.jpg

I would not fasten a luggage rack with that. If you really have to use
this material make sure to file down and sand any sharp corners. Else
your next crash or even just picking up the bike could result in a nasty
gash.

On the other hand, leaving the sharp corners allows use of your bike as
a weapon, swinging and slashing. Take that, mountain lion!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 13th 16, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

I'm still struggling to find a cage that will perfectly fit a jumbo can of Planter's peanuts. http://restockit.com/images/Product/.../MFE072108.jpg
My LBS also has no squirrel extractors or tire lug facing tools. Other useful items I can't buy at my LBS include a micro-pump that will fit into a seat pack that doesn't cost more than $12.37 and is Canadian. It' outrageous, eh?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 13th 16, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Your problem is those CF bikes Jay. Big Carbon is evil. Otherwise you
could just weld a can of planters nuts to the side of your frame,
preferably within easy reach of your hands. Once the can is empty, just
refill as needed. The nice thing here is that the can may be multi
purposed for jelly beans or pig skins at your preference.

Old July 13th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-12 19:21, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

My last bike that had fenders was back as a young teenager. After I
turned the umpteenth fender into a pretzel I gave up on those and just
accepted that I'd get dirty on muddy rides.

I used to fabricate quite a few handlebar clamps, frame clamps, and rack
stays, but nowadays it's much easier to buy these sorts of products,
pre-made, online, though generally not from any bicycle shops.
Considering the time and materials, it's generally a bargain to not make
this stuff yourself anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs: 4, 7, 13, 16, 21, 37

The link doesn't work here. Do you know a source for cheap sturdy clamps
that does not require me to hand my CC info to some guy in China?

I need to shore up my MTB seat post rack because I have a lot of load on
there at times and worry about the weld breaking off and the frame
suffering too much on rough turf. It's a FS bike so the only option will
be to make a big old clamp for further down the seat tube just above the
shock connection and run struts to the rear of the luggage rack. I've
got a chunk of Delrin so I could make it. However, all I have is hand
tools. It'll be a chore and won't be very pretty.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
KH06 bearing clamps bungalistic Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 06:01 PM
Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 5 July 18th 05 04:40 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 02:18 PM