material to do clamps

Old July 23rd 16, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default material to do clamps

John B. wrote:

Well, yes. the economics here are somewhat
different. The legal minimum daily wage is
300 baht a day. And every time I write that
there is a loud cry "How Can Anyone Live on
That?". It isn't exactly difficult when your
lunch probably costs you 20 baht. And yes,
the rest of the costs are pretty much in line
with that.

Even tools and hole systems like bikes, MCs,
computers, etc.?

From my travels in Europe I know that compared
to northen Europe, some countries are extreamly
cheap when it comes to food, transport,
shelter, and such basic stuff.
However technology and imported stuff were much
the same. For a person living there, I don't
know how this works out in the end - on the one
hand, it should be relatively cheaper still
because normal expenses are much lower so more
money for the advanced stuff. On the other
hand, salaries are much lower as well so
perhaps there is no money at all for the
advanced stuff because they are at a whole
different level?

Here, I know from my one year with bikes that
anyone can get the equipment of a decent
workshop. At the beginning of each month, I get
some new thing. Little by little it amounts to
quite a lot. This months as an example a got
the Park Tool truing stand (TS-8). It is the
"home" version so it'll be interesting if
I ever feel the need to get a more expensive
one...

Also I have noticed that when you have some
activity going people tend to give you their
stuff. Perhaps they feel bad for never using it
or they just want to be generous. This means
a lot of cleaning and inserting the missing
bolt and washer. Which I don't mind, at all

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 23rd 16, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. wrote:

I'm not a follower of Muay Thai but certainly
years ago in smaller towns the fighters wore
only hand wrapping and I suspect, I don't
know for a fact, that the present day gloves
worn in the Big City are at least partially
to protect the boxer's hands.

Indeed, as they are in western boxing, and the
introduction changed the stance in boxing as
well as Muay Thai. Now the bulky gloves are
better suited to protect the head so the
fighter can have them closer to the head (even
against it) and lean forward, not backward.

Still, getting hit with 8 oz gloves is worse to
the chin as well compared to the 12, 14, or
even 16 oz gloves which are common in the
everyday boxing gym.

Do the Icelanders use family name?
Somewhere I read or heard that a person named
"john Johnson" was literally that,
John's son.

In Sweden "Svensson" is a name, but literally
it is "Sven's son", even tho the father isn't
named Sven (but he typically has the same name
if the parents are or have been married).
Icelanders have kept the literal implication
and they even do "dóttir" for females, i.e.,
the daughter of someone!

I have a good friend who is a Hungarian and
he once told me that the Finnish and
Hungarian languages are related and both are
unique in Europe

Indeed, only he left out the Estonians who
belong to them as well.

I'm not sure about neurotic, exactly.
After all, they are the ones that have to mop
the floor :-)

Hey, I sweep the floor of my workshop every day
and you probably can imagine the sanitary state
of some of the bikes I see... The only thing
I'm neurotic or at least frustrated about is
all the morons borrowing my tools only to
return them several weeks later! @#$%^&*!

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 23rd 16, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 02:46:09 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Well, yes. the economics here are somewhat
different. The legal minimum daily wage is
300 baht a day. And every time I write that
there is a loud cry "How Can Anyone Live on
That?". It isn't exactly difficult when your
lunch probably costs you 20 baht. And yes,
the rest of the costs are pretty much in line
with that.

Even tools and hole systems like bikes, MCs,
computers, etc.?

Yes... at least to some extent. If you want a top of the line TREK
bike you will pay similar to U.S. prices. But people making the
minimum wage don't buy TREK bicycles. They buy them from Tesco-Lotus
from about $40 - single speed "step through woman's bike". But to be
honest, you don't see "working men" riding bicycles much any more.
They will either be walking or riding a 90 or 100cc Honda look alike
which you can buy on time payments if you have a job.

Today you see "sports bicycles" with the lycra and the helmet and you
see and women, no helmet in normal clothes, and sometimes men going
about the neighborhood shopping on "conventional" bikes. Anywhere
close to the open markets you will see a number of bikes with a basket
on the front, and sometimes one on the back, going or coming with the
day's groceries.

From my travels in Europe I know that compared
to northen Europe, some countries are extreamly
cheap when it comes to food, transport,
shelter, and such basic stuff.

Years ago, local made was very cheap while imported was expensive.
This has leveled off quite a bit with more manufacturing here and
lower import duties.

However technology and imported stuff were much
the same. For a person living there, I don't
know how this works out in the end - on the one
hand, it should be relatively cheaper still
because normal expenses are much lower so more
money for the advanced stuff. On the other
hand, salaries are much lower as well so
perhaps there is no money at all for the
advanced stuff because they are at a whole
different level?

I can buy a Scandinavian made adjustable wrench (I don't know the name
and don't have one right here to look at but they are a sort of
gray-black colored the knurled adjusting spool turns "backward") very
high quality. Or I can buy a Chinese made adjustable wrench that works
well for a quarter of the price. On an intelligent basis I do know
that the European worker has a much higher salary (and pays much
higher taxes) than the Chinese. But it really isn't material. I just
want the cheapest thing what will do the job.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 23rd 16, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 03:04:26 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Hey! We have "Svensson's" in America. At one time Wisconsin and
Minnesota used to be full of people with that sort of name :-)
And there is even a "Swensen's Ice Cream. We even have them in
Thailand :-)

There is even a rumor that a guy named Eriksson discovered the place
:-)

I have a good friend who is a Hungarian and
he once told me that the Finnish and
Hungarian languages are related and both are
unique in Europe

Indeed, only he left out the Estonians who
belong to them as well.

I'm not sure about neurotic, exactly.
After all, they are the ones that have to mop
the floor :-)

Hey, I sweep the floor of my workshop every day
and you probably can imagine the sanitary state
of some of the bikes I see... The only thing
I'm neurotic or at least frustrated about is
all the morons borrowing my tools only to
return them several weeks later! @#$%^&*!

Cheer up. At least they come back.
--
cheers,

John B.

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
KH06 bearing clamps bungalistic Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 06:01 PM
Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 5 July 18th 05 04:40 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 02:18 PM