Upper Body Development

Old July 31st 16, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Upper Body Development

When I got back from today's ride, once dried off and cooled down, I
flopped onto the bed. I noted that my arms ached. My back didn't
hurt as much as it had when I woke up this morning, and my legs felt
about as usual, but my arms had definitely over-exerted.

Climbing steps on days I can't ride isn't enough. I'm going to have
to do something with the dumb-bells besides move them from the hall to
the bedroom on Wednesday and from the bedroom to the hall on Thursday.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 31st 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 22:15:26 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When I got back from today's ride, once dried off and cooled down, I
flopped onto the bed. I noted that my arms ached. My back didn't
hurt as much as it had when I woke up this morning, and my legs felt
about as usual, but my arms had definitely over-exerted.

Climbing steps on days I can't ride isn't enough. I'm going to have
to do something with the dumb-bells besides move them from the hall to
the bedroom on Wednesday and from the bedroom to the hall on Thursday.

I know the feeling. I've been doing cardiac rehab for the last 2
months. I spend 30 minutes on a bicycle like exercise contraption
that has moving handlebars for the upper body exercise. The rehab
palace has a good selection of similar machines which I've been
sampling. This is the one I favor this week:
http://www.nustep.com
http://www.nustep.com/our-products/t4r/
My legs are mostly (50 stairs from the road to my house carrying
firewood) but the arms are weak. When I started on the machine, my
arms hurt. Additional stretching exercises with 5-7 lb dumbbells made
the pain worse. I'm keeping up with the program and after 2 months,
the arms and back hurt less (this is called progress). At the present
rate, I expect the arms and back to be pain free in about a month.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about exercise and exercise
machinery. I do know that I won't have time to go to a health club
and spend more time tinkering with my bicycles than riding them. So,
I'm considering buying one of these exercise machines, so I can do it
at home, where I'm less likely to find an excuse.

I don't know if this is appropriate for you, but I thought it might be
of interest.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 31st 16, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

When I got back from today's ride, once dried off and cooled down, I
flopped onto the bed. I noted that my arms ached. My back didn't
hurt as much as it had when I woke up this morning, and my legs felt
about as usual, but my arms had definitely over-exerted.

Depending on which side of the arm ached it could have been from too
much weight supported be the arms as opposed to the back.

Climbing steps on days I can't ride isn't enough. I'm going to have
to do something with the dumb-bells besides move them from the hall to
the bedroom on Wednesday and from the bedroom to the hall on Thursday.

Another thing that arm exercises do is sort of smooth out some of
those wrinkles caused by loose flab just sort of hanging there :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 16, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Cardiac rehab ? what's your problem ?

A significant factor is hand immobility while exercise spinning n the negative torso podition.

Ex with wrist grips n a wrist roller increases circulation capacity .

When jogging, wrist grip use enables arm circulation to the level of inducing a general physical 'sense of well being'
Old July 31st 16, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Out of curiosity what is "cardiac rehab"? I understand the meaning of
the words but what are the exercises? I would assume some sort of
aerobic exercises, although I remember reading about a group of guys
that had a heart attach that ran, with their doctor's supervision,
that sort of implied that while the running was a good aerobic
exercise that it also improved muscle tone.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 16:22:05 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Out of curiosity what is "cardiac rehab"? I understand the meaning of
the words but what are the exercises? I would assume some sort of
aerobic exercises, although I remember reading about a group of guys
that had a heart attach that ran, with their doctor's supervision,
that sort of implied that while the running was a good aerobic
exercise that it also improved muscle tone.

https://www.dignityhealth.org/dominican/medical-services/cardiac-care/cardiac-rehab

For me, it's a one hour session, two or three times per week. The
first hour is aerobic exercise on a variety of exercise machines. I'm
partial to various recumbent machines because marginal knees and a
pinched nerve in the back make impact exercises a bad idea. Since
there's some risk involved, my heart gets monitored throughout the
session, and blood pressure before, during, and after aerobics. After
a cool down, we all do some stretching and balance exercises. I'm
having some difficulties doing the balance exercises, but am getting
better. No strength training (weight lifting) at this point.

It's really an introductory class for couch potatoes who do little or
no exercise. About half the group is diabetic or overweight. Once
per week is a free class on relevant topics such as diet, exercise,
stress reduction, drugs, etc. I haven't attended any of these due to
a chronic scheduling conflict which should end in about 3 weeks.
Emphasis is on preventing further cardiac incidents and lifestyle
changes.

Medicare pays 80% of the cost which works out to about $30 per session
my cost. The "full course" is 36 sessions, but I'm only doing 20
sessions to save money. The rehab people forward my numbers to my
cardiologist, who apparently ignores them. Not exactly a "doctor's
supervision". Even though the rehab program is associated with a
hospital, whenever emergency service is required, the fire department
arrives.

As near as I can tell, I'm recovering "normally" but much slower than
I would prefer. It's certainly doing me some good. Riding a bicycle
is currently difficult but I should be able to do so in a month or
three. One advantage of an exercise machine is that I don't have to
worry about dodging traffic.

Old July 31st 16, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

AE6KS ... .. .. .. . . .. ____________

what cardiac event did you suffer ? AFAICT, you haven't been away cept for work.

tho I can run a mile fairly well then swim in the breakers for an hour with a floating backstroke no weismuller...

I bruised my cardiac sac n that took 8-12 months .... Knepper gave me some work n I almost fell over dead shoveling tho not uc was actually wrong with the pump.

then I wuz either attacked with a sonic gun or by a lightning strike....twice with the gun or explosion.....another 8-12 months.

but I am physically fit abt a half JB so the recovery was work to pain then stop.

take up swimming.

the knees are easy. rope a water jug pn the ankle n rotate n flip foot up ndown then holding thigh steady almost extend leg n raise 3-4 inches to top extension...repeat....use glucosamine of that is ok with the cardio.

n your vastus medialus ....sit on butt heels on floor knees up a bit then isometrically press down on nee by pulling thigh n lower leg downward. do reps.

the VM locates what the chondromalacia n shin tendon ex strengthens ...most weakers have a very weak VM.

yawl be hurdling in 6 months.

Old August 1st 16, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 12:53:46 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

AE6KS

"I am not a number"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Six_(The_Prisoner)

what cardiac event did you suffer ?

Geee... you sure are inquisitive.

The warranty expired on my 2002 triple bypass operation. All 3
bypasses were clogged with plaque. I was running on the leaks.
Fortunately, it was all happening on the right side of the heart, not
the more important left side. No heart attack or muscle damage. The
surgeon installed 2 stents in order to get some more blood flow. It
was not easy or a 100% job. My guess(tm) is I'm at about 75% of
normal blood flow. Installing one of the stents required literally
drilling through some really old ossified (turned to stone) plaque.
This is not a common procedure. There's is a collection of drugs that
are standard issue after such procedures. Most dilate the blood
vessels and dramatically reduce the blood pressure. I didn't handle
them very well. It's been 14 weeks, and I think I've almost adjusted
to the drugs.

One of the things I've discovered in rehab is which muscles work
normally and which ones need work. The legs are fine thanks to
cycling, hiking, and climbing stairs. Upper body is a problem due to
past surgery and general lack of exercise. Part of that are the arm
muscle pains that Joy mentioned. Hopefully, the exercise machine will
help there.

I've cut back quite a bit on most everything and inserted rehab and
more exercise. For every hour of heavy aerobic exercise, it still
takes me 2-3 hrs sleeping to recover. For example, I slept an extra 4
hrs this afternoon to recover from seriously overworking on Friday (2
days ago). Hopefully, that will improve.

AFAICT, you haven't been away cept for work.

I programmed my computah to email rants and post random messages to
Usenet so I wouldn't be missed. I normally post incoherent rants, so
I would not have expected you to notice the change.

Old August 1st 16, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

My observations have been that recovery always takes longer than one
would wish it too, and that exercises don't do any good at all...
until one day you are perusing your record and realize how feeble you
used to be :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 16, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm curious. After the first problem arose, whether stint or bypass, I
would suppose that along with any specific heart/blood medication that
the doctor would have discussed cholesterol and possible prescribed a
specific medication for treatment of that problem.

And I assume that you would have religiously adhering to the doctor's
suggestion and prescriptions. (as I do)

And I assume that after the current pipe reaming and installation of
more stints that doctor would have discussed the pipe reaming in some
detail.

As I have had high cholesterol for 30 or 40 years, controlled with
medication, should I be expecting something similar?

One of the things I've discovered in rehab is which muscles work
normally and which ones need work. The legs are fine thanks to
cycling, hiking, and climbing stairs. Upper body is a problem due to
past surgery and general lack of exercise. Part of that are the arm
muscle pains that Joy mentioned. Hopefully, the exercise machine will
help there.

I've cut back quite a bit on most everything and inserted rehab and
more exercise. For every hour of heavy aerobic exercise, it still
takes me 2-3 hrs sleeping to recover. For example, I slept an extra 4
hrs this afternoon to recover from seriously overworking on Friday (2
days ago). Hopefully, that will improve.

If I assume that "aerobic" is measured by heart rate, what percent of
maximum heart rate constitutes "heavy" and how was maximum calculated?
With the X - age equation? Or?