How to fix an axle to a wheel, like a tricycle?

Old September 9th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe

Default How to fix an axle to a wheel, like a tricycle?

I would like to secure a wheel onto a steel rod, so that when the rod
turns, the wheel turns.

Can the bearings be removed from a wheel?

What is the inner diameter of the wheel without bearings?

When the sprocket is turned, that's done from within the fork? So you
cannot turn the wheel from outside of the frame.

I would like to have the wheel firmly attached to the axle, with
frame/bearing on each side of the wheel, and then turn the axle from
one side of the frame.

Has anyone ever done that? I really don't know where to start, any
clues/links would be appreciated.

Maybe I should look at tricycles. But I would prefer inflatable tires.

Thank you.
Old September 9th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Bennett

John Doe wrote:

I would like to secure a wheel onto a steel rod, so that when the rod
turns, the wheel turns.

Can the bearings be removed from a wheel?

Yes. More specifically, from the hub. "Wheel" is the full assembly,
including hubs, spokes and rim.

What is the inner diameter of the wheel without bearings?

Varies. Depends on the type of hub.

When the sprocket is turned, that's done from within the fork? So you
cannot turn the wheel from outside of the frame.

I would like to have the wheel firmly attached to the axle, with
frame/bearing on each side of the wheel, and then turn the axle from
one side of the frame.

Has anyone ever done that? I really don't know where to start, any
clues/links would be appreciated.

Some delta trikes are driven by an axle connecting the two rear wheels.
Google delta tricycle. Tadpole trikes use all three axles fixed to the
frame, with stub axles in the front and usually an ordinary bicycle hub
in rear.

Unicycles also use a wheel fixed to a rotating axle.

Maybe I should look at tricycles. But I would prefer inflatable tires.

Yes, you would.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 10th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
marcoles

Perhaps a unicycle wheel or hub.

Marcus
Old September 10th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ted Bennett writes:

I would like to secure a wheel onto a steel rod, so that when the
rod turns, the wheel turns.

Can the bearings be removed from a wheel?

Yes. More specifically, from the hub. "Wheel" is the full
assembly, including hubs, spokes and rim.

Attaching a drive shaft to a wheel is a classic and age old problem.
As you see bicycle BB's have had cotters, then the triangular and
square tapers, then Octalink (Shimano), and now Shimano with a clamped
spline as in Race Face and Campagnolo with cast in spindle stubs with
central spline.

Classically, Henry ford used round tapered axle ends with a flat key
to attach brake drums and wheels, a design that regularly failed,
while GM used a plug-in spline (under oil) at the differential and a
mushroomed axle end to which brake drum and wheels are attached and is
widely used today.

What is the inner diameter of the wheel without bearings?

Varies. Depends on the type of hub.

The next problem is that one wheel drive gets wheel spin on curves
with the drive wheel on the inside. This requires a differential, a
mechanism that is common on pedi-cabs and all automobiles.

When the sprocket is turned, that's done from within the fork? So
you cannot turn the wheel from outside of the frame. I would like
to have the wheel firmly attached to the axle, with frame/bearing
on each side of the wheel, and then turn the axle from one side of
the frame. Has anyone ever done that? I really don't know where
to start, any clues/links would be appreciated.

Some delta trikes are driven by an axle connecting the two rear
wheels. Google delta tricycle. Tadpole trikes use all three axles
fixed to the frame, with stub axles in the front and usually an
ordinary bicycle hub in rear.

I don't think they use a differential gear to drive both rear wheels.
The ones I have inspected all come form overseas, in Asia and Europe
and some in San Francisco.

Unicycles also use a wheel fixed to a rotating axle.

Study that. It isn't easy.

Maybe I should look at tricycles. But I would prefer inflatable

tires.

Yes, you would.

Inflatable tires are made but these tricycles are not available here.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 10th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

"John Doe" wrote in message
om...

I would like to secure a wheel onto a steel rod, so that when the rod
turns, the wheel turns.

Can the bearings be removed from a wheel?

What is the inner diameter of the wheel without bearings?

When the sprocket is turned, that's done from within the fork? So you
cannot turn the wheel from outside of the frame.

I would like to have the wheel firmly attached to the axle, with
frame/bearing on each side of the wheel, and then turn the axle from
one side of the frame.

Has anyone ever done that? I really don't know where to start, any
clues/links would be appreciated.

Maybe I should look at tricycles. But I would prefer inflatable tires.

Thank you.

The last trik I looked at, used a straight axle and the hubs had their
bearings removed and the axle very lightly press fitted to the hubs. They
had drilled and tapped a couple of holes for some allen screws around 8/32
or 10/32 in size, and screwed those into the axle via the hub to prevent the
wheel from slipping.
I do not remember if they had done it to both wheels, when I get a chance
I'll take a look again.

Old September 10th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

aka Jobst Brandt wrote:

The next problem is that one wheel drive gets wheel spin on curves
with the drive wheel on the inside. This requires a differential, a
mechanism that is common on pedi-cabs and all automobiles.

Some trike homebuilders have driven both wheels on a delta trike, and
used a freehub at each wheel to allow different wheel speed while
turning.

The A.S. Engineering S-327 "Sputnik" trike is a tadpole that drives
both front wheels: http://mairas.net/recumbents/S327/.

When the sprocket is turned, that's done from within the fork? So
you cannot turn the wheel from outside of the frame. I would like
to have the wheel firmly attached to the axle, with frame/bearing
on each side of the wheel, and then turn the axle from one side of
the frame. Has anyone ever done that? I really don't know where
to start, any clues/links would be appreciated.

Some delta trikes are driven by an axle connecting the two rear
wheels. Google delta tricycle. Tadpole trikes use all three axles
fixed to the frame, with stub axles in the front and usually an
ordinary bicycle hub in rear.

I don't think they use a differential gear to drive both rear wheels.
The ones I have inspected all come form overseas, in Asia and Europe
and some in San Francisco.

The rare, out of production and decidedly oddball Thebis trike used a
custom differential: http://www.wannee.nl/hpv/abt/thebis.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old September 10th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

I don't think they use a differential gear to drive both rear wheels.
The ones I have inspected all come form overseas, in Asia and Europe
and some in San Francisco.

The rare, out of production and decidedly oddball Thebis trike used a
custom differential: http://www.wannee.nl/hpv/abt/thebis.jpg.

The less rare, but still hard-to-find Schwinn Town & Country "adult"
trike used a true differential to drive both rear wheels. This was on
T&C trikes built in the late '70's and early '80's. The differential
itself was built by Ret-Bar (Company? Industries?).

The neat thing about the Town & Country trike was that the rear end was
essentially bolted on to a standard Schwinn bicycle frame, so it would
be possible to unbolt it and put it on just about any other bike. It
wouldn't be straightforward, but it's easier than building your own
setup.

Jeff

Old September 10th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Sherman writes:

The next problem is that one wheel drive gets wheel spin on curves
with the drive wheel on the inside. This requires a differential,
a mechanism that is common on pedi-cabs and all automobiles.

Some trike homebuilders have driven both wheels on a delta trike,
and used a freehub at each wheel to allow different wheel speed
while turning.

Well that's assbackwards, in a sharp turn you want the outside wheel
driving, not the inside one. That is why differentials are used.
With the FW setup the inside wheel still spins and wears out.

[...]

It's probably one from the pedicab market of Europe or Asia. You need
a differential!

Jobst Brandt
Old September 10th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

The next problem is that one wheel drive gets wheel spin on curves
with the drive wheel on the inside. This requires a differential,
a mechanism that is common on pedi-cabs and all automobiles.

Some trike homebuilders have driven both wheels on a delta trike,
and used a freehub at each wheel to allow different wheel speed
while turning.

Well that's assbackwards, in a sharp turn you want the outside wheel
driving, not the inside one. That is why differentials are used.
With the FW setup the inside wheel still spins and wears out.

In what situation is a trike rider going to be putting enough power to
the wheels to spin one in a corner? Yes, this could occur if one was
riding very aggressively, but that is not the norm for delta trike
riders, who tend towards touring, commuting and utility cycling. Those
that ride aggressively typically use RWD tadpole trikes.

It is reported that the two-freehub delta trike solution works well on
snow and ice, since if one wheel loses traction, the other still gets
power. An open differential does not work well in slippery conditions.
If one had the money, a Torsen type limited slip could be produced in
an appropriate size for human power use.

The rare, out of production and decidedly oddball Thebis trike used a
custom differential:

http://www.wannee.nl/hpv/abt/thebis.jpg

It's probably one from the pedicab market of Europe or Asia. You need
a differential!

The Thebis needs a machinist who is familiar with working with
magnesium alloy, as almost everything is a custom part. If Rube
Goldberg rode a trike, it would be a Thebis.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old September 10th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 04:09:03 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

Tom Sherman writes:

[...]

Maybe in a motor vehicle, but in a pedal powered trike?

Matt O.