Bike Strobe

Old November 28th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ernie Willson

Default Bike Strobe

I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and
leaving it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a
forward facing white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments
about this, and any recommendations of what to buy.

Thanks,
Ernie
Old November 28th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat in TX

I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and leaving
it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a forward facing
white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments about this, and
any recommendations of what to buy.

Thanks,
Ernie

better check out the laws in your state. In some states, a flashing strobe
is only to be used by police/fire department vehicles.

Pat in TX

Old November 29th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Callistus Valerius

I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and
leaving it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a
forward facing white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments
about this, and any recommendations of what to buy.

Thanks,
Ernie

-------------
if you want the brightest strobe you can get, try DiNotte lights. They
have a front light that will go into strobe mode, and they also have the
brightest rear light on the market too. But it'll cost ya! On sale the
front light costs $175. I use it mainly as a light, but when I do put it in
strobe mode everything freezes in front of me. But in daylight, I think the
strobe won't be that intrusive. You'll just be noticed, like you want. At
night, I guess the cars think an airliner is about to land on the street.

Old November 29th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew W

Ernie Willson wrote:
I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and
leaving it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a
forward facing white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments
about this, and any recommendations of what to buy.

Thanks,
Ernie

I have used a white 12V xenon strobe on the front and a red one on the
rear....but then again, I have also been stopped by the police and
engaged in discussion as to their legality.

These are self-contained units with all circuitry in-board (just needs
power, 10 AA rechargeables keep them going for about 8 hours).

See:

http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com...rontstrobe.JPG
and
http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com...rearstrobe.JPG

Andrew Webster

Old November 30th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bluejay

Ernie Willson wrote:
I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and
leaving it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a
forward facing white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments
about this, and any recommendations of what to buy.

http://www.lightmanstrobes.com/bike.htm

Maybe not the brightest thing you can put on a bike, but lightweight and
reasonably priced.

Old November 30th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Hardin

The standard (farm country) slow moving vehicle triangle works in
the rear, no power required

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/heelbike.jpg

and gives at least motorists who are used to them an advance clue
what the situation up ahead is.

They have a reflective strip, are more day-glow that the photo records,
and some are soft and can tie around your back (called ``fanny
bumpers'') if you don't have a nice flat rear surface on the bike.

The white xenon Lightman strobe is nice in fog or rain ; I think on the
front it's not a good idea, because there's no standard message it
conveys. Careful, there's a Lightman LED and a Lightman strobe,
you want the strobe. Even the strobe isn't as bright today as it used
to be, incidentally, and may not be visible in the day at all any
longer. At least I have an older one that's much brighter than a
newer one.

You don't actually want attention of the ``what the hell is that?''
sort, but of the ``it's the usual slow thing'' sort. The former
makes things in general less safe.

--
Ron Hardin

Old November 30th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ernie Willson wrote:
I'm getting tired of not being seen by four wheelers during may daytime
rides. I gave some thought to putting a headlight on the bike and
leaving it "on" all the time, like a motorcycle, but think that a
forward facing white strobe might be better. I would appreciate comments
about this, and any recommendations of what to buy.

I'm curious. You seem to be having a problem I almost never have. Can
you give details?

Sometimes, people ride too far in the gutter, where they're less
visible. Is there a chance a better road position would improve
things?

FWIW, I've never seen anyone cycling in daytime with a frong facing
strobe.

- Frank Krygowski