Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

Old August 7th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On 8/6/2019 6:27 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2019 13:46:19 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

John B. Slocomb writes:

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 14:34:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/5/2019 12:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/5/2019 9:58 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/5/2019 4:07 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 00:13:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/4/2019 8:47 PM, John B. wrote:
rOn Sun, 4 Aug 2019 11:06:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

Well, of course. After all everybody knows that "guns
kill" so
logically if there no guns there would be no "killed".

I don't know of anyone who seriously believes that.

But to be more realistic: What are the gun laws in the
country where you
now live? And what's the gun murder rate per 100,000?
What's the total
murder rate per 100,000? IOW, how are your gun laws
working out?

The gun laws in Thailand are essentially that guns are
banned...
except in some cases. You can't legally carry a pistol
in your pocket
in Bangkok but no one will object to your having a
shotgun over our
shoulder in some remote jungle area where wildlife is a
danger.

Yes, nobody much objects to long guns in the woods here.
But "can't
legally carry a pistol in a pocket"? Some here would say
that's akin to
slicing off a man's ... um, masculinity. (And it's true
that some men
seem to confuse their guns with their genital organs.)

As for gun deaths it would be rather misleading to quote
them as the
UNODC murder rate in Thailand is 3.24/100,000 and in the
U.S.
5.30/100,000 so obviously whatever criteria you care to
define murder
rates in the U.S. will likely be higher than in Thailand.

Ah. 3.24 vs. 5.30.

But you don't think the differences in gun laws are a
factor?

I was pointing out that the table I saw was based on UNODC
rates.

But I'm not sure whether gun laws, specifically, are
really a factor
in Thai homicide rates. Certainly the news is full of
knife, club,
whatever, (even by hand), murders and illegal ownership of
firearms is
extremely common so I'm not sure what effect the rather
strict gun
laws in Thailand have on homicide rates.

As an aside I might mention that the CDC homicide numbers
in the U.S.
seem to be all - homicides - 19,510, Firearms - 14,542 so
about 75% of
homicides in the U.S. age gun related. But!

According to the Centers for Disease Control, using data
available for
analysis on September 5, 2018, there were a reported
70,652 deaths
attributed to drug overdose in the US for the year ending
December
2017. Some deaths were still under investigation. The CDC
projects
that the total for 2017 will be 72,222.

It makes the 14,542 gun deaths seem a bit.... well one
might say
somewhat less than urgent :-)

According to Statistia some 43% of U.S. households owned
one or more
guns in 2017. That is (I believe) some 126,220,000
households with
guns and 14,000 gun deaths (not, I believe, including self
inflected
death) or a rate of 1 gun death per 9,015.7 households.

And Auto Deaths? Some 37,133 deaths in 2017 - the same
year as the
14,000 gun deaths. Or one traffic death per 3,399 families.

But than, we all know that they are "traffic accidents",
which seem to
be acceptable and "GUN DEATHS!" which are horrifying.

We just had two mass murders within about half a day,
one in Texas, the

You seem to be "proving" my stated point that "guns
kill", unless of
course then guys in Texas were waving swords.

You seem to be sidestepping my question. How often _does_
that happen
where you live?

Well, I gave you the figures, about 61% of the U.S. numbers.

No, John, you didn't give me the numbers I asked for. Nice
try at sidestepping, though.

Here was my question: "We just had two mass murders within
about half a day, one in Texas, the next in Ohio. Does that
happen a lot where you live?" And I repeated: "How often
_does_ that happen where you live?"

I'm not surprised you have occasional killings using knives,
clubs and hands, as you describe. But how many _mass_
killings? How many instances of a guy with a knife quickly
slaying, say, 20 people who were shopping and injuring a
couple dozen more?

I don't know from Thailand but in Chicago it's all day every day:
https://maggionews.com/
https://heyjackass.com/

I see very few reports of mass killings using knives.

Well, of course not. these are modern times and modern man is too lazy
to undertake "mass killings" with a butcher knife but in years gone
my, when man kind was a bit more energetic...

For example:
In the year 390 when Roman Emperor Theodosius I sent troops to
Thessalonica in order to quell some civil unrest. and 7,000 were
killed.

On May 20, 1645 Qing troops led by Prince Dodo of the Qing Dynasty
killed as many as 80,000 people.

Machetes were prominent during the Rwandan genocide much more recently.

Yes. If one really wants to commit mass murder one can find a way. Or
rather the shortage of firearms has not, historically, prevented mass
killings.
--

Cheers,

John B.

Certainly not in Mexico where private firearm ownership is
virtually prohibited.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 7th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

rOn Tue, 6 Aug 2019 20:11:03 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/6/2019 7:43 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:34:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

Well, of course. After all everybody knows that "guns
kill" so
logically if there no guns there would be no "killed".

I don't know of anyone who seriously believes that.

But to be more realistic: What are the gun laws in the
country where you
now live? And what's the gun murder rate per 100,000?
What's the total
murder rate per 100,000? IOW, how are your gun laws
working out?

The gun laws in Thailand are essentially that guns are
banned...
except in some cases. You can't legally carry a pistol
in your pocket
in Bangkok but no one will object to your having a
shotgun over our
shoulder in some remote jungle area where wildlife isÂ* a
danger.

Yes, nobody much objects to long guns in the woods here.
But "can't
legally carry a pistol in a pocket"? Some here would say
that's akin to
slicing off a man's ... um, masculinity. (And it's true
that some men
seem to confuse their guns with their genital organs.)

As for gun deaths it would be rather misleading to quote
them as the
UNODC murder rate in Thailand is 3.24/100,000 and in the
U.S.
5.30/100,000 so obviously whatever criteria you care to
defineÂ* murder
[...]

Machete murders were once big news. Now we have a term for that, "Tuesday":

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...17&t=h_&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...8&t=h_&ia=news

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...19&t=h_&ia=web

Readers of delicate countenance should not click "images" on the search
menu.

Anyone know the annual count of U.S. machete killings?

A nice end run around the facts. Rather a "Tom" effort.

Geez, nobody will answer a question any more!

But what facts do you think I'm avoiding? It seems to be a fact that
guns are used in far, far more murders than knives or machetes. (Feel
free to correct me if you do find that machete number.) What other facts
are you using?

Certainly, and I believe that I made that point in another post. Yes,
in the U.S. guns are used in many more homicides that machetes.

But, as I pointed out, the actual number of deaths in firearm
homicides is far lower than in auto crashes or even illegal drug
deaths, so I ask again, is it the number of deaths that upsets you? Or
is it the fact the deaths are carried out with those horrible firearms
and concerns you.

From your comments to date it certainly appears that it is the
firearms that concerns you, or at least I don't see your posts
descrying the carnage on the highways or even due to illegal use of
drugs. Which, again as I commented on, are far, far greater then
firearm deaths.

Again from your posts it appears that you seize on a subject,
regardless of it's relative severity and make it somewhat of a jihad.
Bike helmets, for example. Bike deaths amount to what? About 800 a
year? A rather trivial number compared to auto deaths. A whole year's
bike deaths amount to roughly one weeks auto deaths. Bike helmet would
appear to be a rather trivial subject when compared to deaths.

Firearm deaths, the "mass killings" of some 22 in the recent Texas
shootings amount of roughly a morning's deaths on the highway but I
don't seem anyone crying about highway deaths. But shoot someone with
a gun and the cry goes up "Gun Deaths!, Gun Deaths!" But why not "Road
Deaths! Road Deaths!" which, after all, are 5 times greater.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 7th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/6/2019 7:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

live?

[...]

On May 20, 1645Â Qing troops led by Prince Dodo of the
Qing Dynasty
killed as many as 80,000 people.

Machetes were prominent during the Rwandan genocide much
more recently.

Machete murders were once big news. Now we have a term for
that, "Tuesday":

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...17&t=h_&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...8&t=h_&ia=news

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=machete+mu...19&t=h_&ia=web

Readers of delicate countenance should not click "images"
on the search menu.

Anyone know the annual count of U.S. machete killings?

No idea but I'm sure each and every victim thought there
was one too many.

If we're doing this by numbers alone now, I'll watch for
your impassioned pleas about medical ineptitude and
hospital-acquired infection which kill more people than
either car wrecks or ODs.

The ultimate step in that line of argument would be this:

"Murderers should not be prosecuted, because everyone is
going to die anyway."

You could say that. I wouldn't.

If I had any faith in the prosecutors getting the right guy
more often than not I'd favor a swift and sure death penalty
for murder. That's the critical factor which keeps me from
that position.

They seem to be as effective there as running the MVD or any
other public gerbil-wheel program.

Speaking of banning 'weapons of war'[1] less than 5% of
bump-stock owners complied with the turn-in orders. Great
law, that. But hey let's write more laws! Maybe double-dog
really prohibit felon in possession? That would be big news
to prosecutors since they hardly ever charge it now.

[1]Silly gadget that no firearm owner of my acquaintance
took seriously or ever considered buying. It was not ruled
on at all in the GWB administration, OK'd for unregulated
sale by BHO's ATF and only recently banned under DJT. Only
one significant event (LasVegas nutcase) was tied to them.

Old August 7th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

No rational person can claim that the availability rapid
fire guns hasn't made mass killings far easier.

And the 2nd amendment was written at a time when rapid fire
guns didn't exist. Check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4
especially the last bit, from about 6:50 to 7:44

Don't be so extreme, Frank.

Any semiautomatic rifle, such as my AR, shoots exactly as
fast as my .38 Police Special revolver- one pull= one round.

There's no such animal as the fabled 'assault rifle'. Hell,
people die from blunt instrument assault, edged weapon
assault, motor vehicle assault and so on every day. You
can't be more dead than dead.

Lawful pistols and rifles are not full auto.

Manufacture, possession, sale and use of automatic weapons
are prohibited except when licensed and tax-stamped under
FFL Class 3. Oh, by the way ATF may, and really actually
does, do surprise FFL inspections and woe to the man who is
out of compliance.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/10/02...hine-guns-u-s/

Old August 7th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Also, by numbers, US homicides have decreased markedly since the 90's.
If total numbers are your thing then mass shootings should be of no
particular interest.
Old August 7th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

isÂÂ* a
danger.

Yes, nobody much objects to long guns in the woods
here.
But "can't
legally carry a pistol in a pocket"? Some here
would say
that's akin to
slicing off a man's ... um, masculinity. (And it's
true
that some men
seem to confuse their guns with their genital organs.)

As for gun deaths it would be rather misleading to
quote
them as the
UNODC murder rate in Thailand is 3.24/100,000 and
in the
U.S.
5.30/100,000 so obviously whatever criteria you
care to
defineÂÂ* murder
[...]

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ssault%20rifle

https://www.britannica.com/technology/assault-rifle

https://nationalinterest.org/tag/assault-rifle

Many people seem to disagree with you. (Mind you, I haven't used the
phrase "assault rifle" in this discussion.)

Hell, people die
from blunt instrument assault, edged weapon assault, motor vehicle
assault and so on every day. You can't be more dead than dead.

And as I said, the ultimate version of that argument is to say we
shouldn't discourage murder at all, because we'll all die anyway.

Most people don't see it that way. Most accept deaths from old age or
other natural causes as regrettable, but inevitable. Most people think
deaths from accidents are much less acceptable, especially if the
accident was caused by the carelessness of another. And most people
think murders are in a completely different category: they are outrages.
It has always been this way. Denying it is denying fundamental human nature.

Are there blunt instrument murders? A few. But as I've said, ignoring
gun murders to talk about blunt instrument murders is like
weatherstripping your windows instead of fixing the two foot diameter
hole in the wall.

Lawful pistols and rifles are not full auto.

As I've said befo I shoot on occasion. I'm not bad at it, and it's
kind of fun. But I see no need for a civilian to own a gun that can fire
off more than a few rounds in one minute. (John got very confused on
this, measuring rate of fire over a time period of two seconds or
something - which was clearly not what I had said.)

I see no justification for a gun that can fire a dozen rounds in five
seconds, let alone a gun that can carry a barrel magazine with over a
hundred rounds. Let alone a gun that can easily be modified to shoot
endlessly until such a magazine is empty. And I think the guys who have
fetishes about things that look like "army guns" should just go join an
army. They'd probably **** their pants in a real battle (as would I, I
suppose), but they might learn to stop pretending.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 7th 19, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

Well, of course. After all everybody knows that "guns
kill" so
logically if there no guns there would be no "killed".

I don't know of anyone who seriously believes that.

But to be more realistic: What are the gun laws in the
country where you
now live? And what's the gun murder rate per 100,000?
What's the total
murder rate per 100,000? IOW, how are your gun laws
working out?

The gun laws in Thailand are essentially that guns are
banned...
except in some cases. You can't legally carry a pistol
in your pocket
in Bangkok but no one will object to your having a
shotgun over our
shoulder in some remote jungle area where wildlife isÂÂ* a
[...]

Thank you. Maybe you'll stop the machete talk now?

But, as I pointed out, the actual number of deaths in firearm
homicides is far lower than in auto crashes or even illegal drug
deaths, so I ask again, is it the number of deaths that upsets you? Or
is it the fact the deaths are carried out with those horrible firearms
and concerns you.

From your comments to date it certainly appears that it is the
firearms that concerns you, or at least I don't see your posts
descrying the carnage on the highways or even due to illegal use of
drugs. Which, again as I commented on, are far, far greater then
firearm deaths.

I just posted a reply to Andrew that attempted to explain people's
attitudes toward deaths from various causes. Read it. But as I said,
death by murder has always raised outrage. That's part of human nature.
Deal with it.

Again from your posts it appears that you seize on a subject,
regardless of it's relative severity and make it somewhat of a jihad.
Bike helmets, for example. Bike deaths amount to what? About 800 a
year? A rather trivial number compared to auto deaths. A whole year's
bike deaths amount to roughly one weeks auto deaths. Bike helmet would
appear to be a rather trivial subject when compared to deaths.

Your memory (or perhaps logic) is failing you. My major point regarding
bike deaths is precisely that they are very few - that bicycling is
extremely safe. Consequently, there is no need for promoting helmets.

I argue that point because I believe it's good to promote cycling, both
for its benefits to the individual and the benefits to society.

Firearm deaths, the "mass killings" of some 22 in the recent Texas
shootings amount of roughly a morning's deaths on the highway but I
don't seem anyone crying about highway deaths. But shoot someone with
a gun and the cry goes up "Gun Deaths!, Gun Deaths!" But why not "Road
Deaths! Road Deaths!" which, after all, are 5 times greater.

If you want my views on road deaths, start a thread on it. Give your
views first, and perhaps I'll jump in.

But I note you live in a country with much tougher gun laws and a much
lower rate of gun deaths. The odds on your family or friends being
impacted by guns are much lower than for those of us in the U.S. I
suspect that if you lost a friend or spouse to a gun shot, your attitude
might be a bit different.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 7th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Not surprising. I doubt I'd be impressed by the intelligence or
character of a guy who wants to shoot hundreds of rounds per minute. Do
those guys still play with G.I. Joe dolls?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 7th 19, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

I challenge you to attend the next memorial service for these victims,
carrying that on a sign. I can guarantee lots of attention. Would you do
that?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 7th 19, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Krygowski wrote:

On 8/4/2019 1:37 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

And just to tie two current threads together, the guys who wrote
Freakonomics made the assertion that the drop in murder (and crime rates in
general) in the US was caused by the drop in unwanted children created by
Roe vs Wade.