Hydration and weight loss rates

Old March 17th 04, 09:39 PM
Chris

Default Hydration and weight loss rates

I have been paying close attention to my hydration loss on my rides since I
started training in a much warmer climate. I am losing about a kilo an hour
even at moderate pace. I am drinking about 20 ounces per hour and my weight
is 190 (race weight 170). This rate of loss is when the temperature is
averaging about 80 degrees. I need to figure out some ways to reduce this. I
don't suffer any perceived loss in performance in the first 150 to 180
minutes but after that my heart is clearly having to work harder at a given
power level. I find cardio drift of up to 15 beats per minute. I have not
had any other symptoms but this kind of sucks. If I don't find a solution I
am going to have to start doing my long training rides much earlier in the
day.

Any comments or ideas for a solution?

Old March 17th 04, 10:15 PM
Robert Chung

Chris wrote:
I have been paying close attention to my hydration loss on my rides
since I started training in a much warmer climate.

Any comments

Et pour le taux de cortisone, par exemple, s'il est effondré - ce qui
dénote la prise de cortisone -, il suffit de prendre un cachet
d'hydrocortisone avant le contrôle et de boire trois litres d'eau, et
l'affaire est réglée.

Old March 17th 04, 10:41 PM
Andy Coggan

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Drink more water more often.

Better still, drink a carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage like Gatorade. In
addition to providing energy, the glucose will aid with sodium absorption,
and the sodium in turn will stimulate your thirst causing you to drink more.
What's more, the sweetness and tartness alone are likely to make the
beverage more palatable, thus further encouraging fluid consumption (yes,
there is some logic to 'Gatorade Lite'...did they ever market that?).

Finally, be certain that you are properly hydrated before exercise even
begins...nothing worse for compounding exercise-induced dehydration than
pre-exercise hypohydration.

Andy ("do as I say, not as I do") Coggan

Old March 17th 04, 11:28 PM
Gleshna

Better still, drink a carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage like Gatorade.

To invent Gatorade someone apparently just figured out the ingredients of
sweat. Good stuff.

To much plain water greatly contributed to the death of a marathon runner in
Chicago a few years ago. You need electroltyes.

Gleshna - Multi-Thousandaire

DA LAKES:
Da Lake Tube: http://www.greatlakesurfing.com/imag...lery/point.jpg
Da new Lake Movie: http://www.unsalted.tv/
Da Bears ???????

Old March 18th 04, 12:59 AM
Sam

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Also note that Gatorade is pretty low in sodium; Gatorade does have a new
formulation coming out soon that has more electrolytes. Tastes a bit
different as one would imagine. As someone who loses a great deal of salt,
I have added salt to my Gatorade for a few years now.

The sodium, in addition to stimulating thirst, aids in maintaining what you
keep in the body. Also, make sure you rehydrate well after riding and use
sodium.