Race Report

Old May 3rd 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Default Race Report

There is a local time trial that has been part of my early
season program for many years. 16 miles, gentle rollers,
always windy. When my daughter was 7 it became her first
non-kids race. We have an mtb tandem that dates to the
1980s. It's a real beast but it was fairly simple to adapt
it to a stokid, all it took was a pair of crank shorteners.
We didn't produce a great time, but she had fun.

We rode the tandem for many years, but a couple of years
ago she decided she wanted to ride solo. One of those land-
marks of parenting. I rode my race and then turned around
to reverse the course back to her. I remember finding her
at the half way point. She rode it in, and was very pleased
with her age category winning time. Even though she was the
only one entered in it.

Last year she had a new road bike, and was discovering the
fun and efficiency of narrow tires on pavement. She came
into the race with pretty good form. She had had a decent
ski season. She was in the middle of the Middle School
results at the state championships, better at freestyle
than diagonal stride. She won her division at the Rib Lake
(I am not making this up) Hinder Binder, so named because
of it's date just before the American Birkebeiner.

The time trial's traditional date was in late April. Looking
back that would have been the time we first went to the
clinic to get the swelling in her neck looked at. They ran
some tests that didn't show anything. The swelling was her
lymphatic system, but that by itself didn't mean anything.

This year we were back on the tandem. She hasn't ridden on
her own since June of last year. Her balance isn't that
good and her leg strength is still coming back. So we've
been riding the tandem. A couple of days ago I asked if she
wanted to do the race. We've been doing it for years, she
wanted to go. She hasn't ridden since June. There are things
that you might think are obvious, but they didn't figure
it out until they pulled out a lymph node and looked at it.
By then she was showing some fatigue. Not obviously, but I
noticed. We would ride trails and I suspected her energy
was dropping.

She's lost a lot of weight in the last year. Steroids will
do that. Not all steroids make you bigger. Cortico steroids
have the opposite effect, they break down muscles and make
you smaller. So she's smaller this year, and has lost a lot
of muscle mass. She tells me she doesn't really care about
our time.

It's windy. It's always windy at this race. We start with a
head wind and it's slow going. We make the first turn and at
about the 5 mile mark she asks me if we can coast on the
downhills. "My butt hurts" is what she tells me.

This is no idle complaint. Like I said, she's lost a lot of
muscle mass. One of the jokes we tell is that her gluteous
maximus is now a minimus. As a practical matter this means
she doesn't sit on a bicycle the same way she used to. Like
years ago with the crank shorteners I've adapted the bike.
Bumps are a very real problem, and I added a shock fork and
a gel seat cover. The bike is old enough that it has a 1 inch
steerer, and the fork could have only happened through ebay.
It helps some, but it isn't made for a tandem. So it doesn't
have a lot of travel left, especially once the fat guy gets
on the front. But it helps some. The gel seat cover helps
more.

But even so it isn't enough and I coast on the downhills.

Eventually we hit the tail wind and I alternate between
winding it up and coasting. Because of the tail wind there
are spots where we can coast downhill and not lose so much
speed. At one point I ask her how her butt is doing, there's
nothing we can do about it is what she tells me. There are
many times when I've wished I could suffer through whatever
she was suffering through and save her the discomfort. It
doesn't work that way though. But today I can do what I can
to make the finish line happen faster.

There was a 7 month period where she hit the emergency room
a whole bunch of times, and maybe 2 of those 7 months were
spent in the hospital. A lot of the time there isn't a hell
of a lot you can do except drive her to the ER and be the
information portal about all the **** that is going on with
her and who they need to consult with at Mayo about it. I
remember when she had been in the hospital for two weeks and
they suggested a transfer to Mayo because her immune system
had flatlined and they suspected some stuff that I googled
and thought, holy ****. So in a sense it felt comforting in
this case to be able to do something involving intense
physical effort that would help.

When we finish I know she wants off the bike right away, so
I drop her off at the registration area. I'm thinking she'll
head inside where the tables and chairs are, but she ambles
over to a patch of grass and that's where she lands. I head over
to the car and load everything up. When I get back she hasn't
moved. I grab her under her armpits and heave and she is able
to head inside where the food is. She says we need to go out
later and look for her butt, she thinks it fell off.

We are the only tandem entered so we win our division. She
has some peculiarities to her gait and as she walks up to get
her award the presenter asks if her legs are sore. It isn't
really the time to explain about neurological side effects
from the treatment, so she just nods yes, sore legs. Her hair
started growing back and while it is still quite short it is
long enough to pass as something intentional. This race is
full of people we see once a year so most don't see anything
amiss. Just short hair and sore legs.

But it's been an eventful year and sometimes courage shows up
in ways that aren't very obvious.

Bob Schwartz
Old May 3rd 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Congratulations Bob. Things are what they are.

Tom

Old May 3rd 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
heather

Bob,
I was away from rbr for over a year. When I came back this winter, it
felt to me like you didn't smile the way you used to. It was none of my
business, but I wondered.

This race is
full of people we see once a year so most don't see anything
amiss. Just short hair and sore legs.

But it's been an eventful year and sometimes courage shows up
in ways that aren't very obvious.

yes. I'm glad you wrote that.

heather
"Well, while I'm here I'll do the work.
And what's the work?
To ease the pain of living."

Old May 3rd 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billyroll

On May 2, 8:46*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
[...]

Bob- Thanks for sharing. Enjoy every moment with her. You are lucky to
share such special moments with your family. I hope I can speak for
rbr (as a majority of the time lurker) when I say we all hope that you
share this same moment with your daughter every year in the future. I
hope the two of you win next year, as well... and the year after.
Old May 3rd 10, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

But it's been an eventful year and sometimes courage shows up
in ways that aren't very obvious.

Bob, this forum is not one where people get to really express themselves in very
personal ways very often, but I'm glad you did this time. I'm really sorry to read
the news about your daughter but I sincerely hope that her prognosis is good and that
she feels better and is better soon. Thanks for the post.
Old May 3rd 10, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Kind of puts our own little problems in perspective.

There's really nothing more important than doing what we can so our kids
have a future. I'm sure many here hope and pray that your daughter will
live to be old enough to be cranky and irrational like the rest of us
here. :-)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 3rd 10, 10:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Betty Munro

Bob Schwartz wrote:
The time trial's traditional date was in late April. Looking
back that would have been the time we first went to the
clinic to get the swelling in her neck looked at. They ran
some tests that didn't show anything. The swelling was her
lymphatic system, but that by itself didn't mean anything.
She's lost a lot of weight in the last year. Steroids will
do that. Not all steroids make you bigger. Cortico steroids
have the opposite effect, they break down muscles and make
you smaller. So she's smaller this year, and has lost a lot
of muscle mass. She tells me she doesn't really care about
our time.

Sorry to hear about this happening to your daughter; we never really
appreciate our health until something like this happens. Anyway I'm sure
she'll be in top form for next year's TT.
Old May 3rd 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On May 2, 10:46*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
[...]

Thank you for posting. I hope your daughter's health continues to
improve.
--D-y

Old May 3rd 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas Fred

Bob Schwartz wrote:
But it's been an eventful year and sometimes courage shows up
in ways that aren't very obvious.

Moving. All the best, Bob.
Old May 3rd 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_3_]

Best wishes to your daughter for a full and speedy recovery.

Copy your post to Ryan's blog.

pee report, was Yet another race report SLAVE of THE STATE Racing 19 May 15th 08 11:13 AM
Race report [email protected] Racing 8 May 8th 08 11:40 AM
SSWC 07 Roller race report and results plus Pics of MAIN RACE TOO rollapaluza General 0 September 4th 07 03:52 PM
This wasn't in the race report Tam.... PiledHigher Australia 8 May 22nd 06 05:49 AM
Race Report. Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 0 April 29th 04 02:03 PM