Never, EVER, tempt the puncture fairies

Old March 12th 08, 10:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Never, EVER, tempt the puncture fairies

On 2008-03-12, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
I made a beginner's mistake a couple of months ago - I'd just put the
5th patch on Aaargh's rear tube and inflated it, when I noticed that
the tube was emerging from between the rim and sidewall (I hadn't
seated the bead correctly).

I got to within about 5cm of the valve stem before it went bang. ;-)

Funny. That's one of my first memories of gplama.

"Stop! STOP!" bang

--
TimC
When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall. -- Tom De Mulder
Old March 12th 08, 12:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"Duncan" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 2:43 pm, Bean Long wrote:
I had to throw out a tube last week cos when I went to patch it it came
clean apart at the ribbing. I think it had about 7 patches. All in all
I've lost count of the total number of patches I've used but my sons
love playing with all my empty patch kit containers... there are dozens
lying around the house!

I'm still looking for a volume source of vulcanising rubber glue.

I only buy the patch kits for the glue tube... cut my own patches from
really dead tubes (like the ones where the valve has ripped out).

Those patch kit patches are way too thick and stiff, IMHO.

I buy strips of these from Maurice Mathe cycles in Adamstown Newcastle.

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Cu...saw06cc60.aspx

They are very small, thin and virtually disappear on the tube once
installed, I get them for around $3 for a strip of 6.

I buy tubes of glue off him as well for around $3 a medium sized tube, he
has larger ones but generally the larger ones only last as long as the
smaller ones as they dry up towards the end.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a complete puncture kit, it
must have been 10 years or more as I am still using the last box it came in
so my glue tube does not get crushed.

I also keep cut up strips of Zefal rim tape just incase I get a tear in the
tyre and need to repair on the road side.

Old March 12th 08, 12:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

On 2008-03-12, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
I made a beginner's mistake a couple of months ago - I'd just put the
5th patch on Aaargh's rear tube and inflated it, when I noticed that
the tube was emerging from between the rim and sidewall (I hadn't
seated the bead correctly).

I got to within about 5cm of the valve stem before it went bang. ;-)

Funny. That's one of my first memories of gplama.

"Stop! STOP!" bang

--
TimC
When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall. -- Tom De Mulder

My father was pumping up his tyre using my ~ 18 year old Zefal track pump, I
told him to inflate to around 120 to 130 max psi, he was complaining it was
getting hard to pump, I asked what pressure he had and he said 100.

I said keep going, he said the tyre feels rock hard, I said it will feel
pretty hard but he really needs to get to at least 120 for the road surface
we were going to race on.
He kept going and said I am nearly at 120 but I can't seem to get a lot more
in as it is really really hard to pump.

At this stage I started to get a little worried as it should not be that
hard to pump with my Zefal as it could inflate to 240 psi, I said give me a
look and when I looked at the pressure gauge it was reading 12 bars or
around 170 psi, I said holy crap and went to remove the pump from the valve
to let some out.

As I reached over to do this, the thing exploded off the rim, the tube was
destroyed but some how the tyre survived with only a little mark on the
bead.

I gave him those tyres when he started racing as I had put quite a bit of
wear on them, and he managed to get serveral months training and racing on
them before he retired them for some new ones, I am now using them in their
nearly worn out state on my track bike for training and spare wheels.

Old March 12th 08, 08:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

Boostland wrote:
As I reached over to do this, the thing exploded off the rim, the tube was
destroyed but some how the tyre survived with only a little mark on the
bead.

It's very entertaining watching someone else have that happen, hey BR
riders?

DaveB
Old March 12th 08, 10:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Mar 12, 2:02 pm, Duncan wrote:
On Mar 12, 1:53 pm, BT Humble wrote:

How many patches is "heavy"? I'm going for the record, I think I have
about 7 patches on my rear tube at the moment. ;-)

Ha! amateur!

With this mornings' effort, I now have 10 on one tube and 3 on the
other.. not sure how many on the other replacement, since it's on the
bike (but I think its around the 6 or 7 mark). These are 700/23's,
too.

pffft. I've had patches in the teens, and know someone who laid claim
to 17 on the tube - he was an even bigger tightar5e than me! Mind
you, you can fit more on mtb tubes, ten on a roadie tube is pretty
impressive.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Old March 13th 08, 01:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Boostland wrote:

As I reached over to do this, the thing exploded off the rim, the tube was
destroyed but some how the tyre survived with only a little mark on the
bead.

Ouchies! On tube popping stories... crit race last night a guy in
B-grade turned his tyre inside out coming round a corner. There was a
loud bang that caught everyone's attention... I thought it was a gun
shot. He came down like a sack of the proverbial but noone else in the
bunch was adversely affected (surprisingly). He was more than a bit sore
though!
Old March 13th 08, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Trev Baylis

I'm allways getting punctures myself.
I never know weather it is better to fill the tube with a liquid sealent or just keep repairing them.

I'd sooner have a solid rubber tyre, but the ride wouldn't be so good.

Old March 17th 08, 07:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Obakesan

Mate

here where I am (Finland) they bloody sprinkle tiny flakes of blue stone all
over the footpath for grip in the spring time (when the slush freezes
overnight)

This seems to get caught in the finer tread grooves and then works its way
through. I've had more punctures in 6 months than I've had in my entire life
before.

In article ,
Duncan wrote:
On this morning's commute, I was (stupidly) reflecting on the
recent lack of punctures I'd had.. probably due to the lack of morning/
evening rain in Sydney over the last couple of weeks, I figured.

it would be more acceptable if the icy conditions were not actually created by
the way they 'clear' the paths

mumble

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply
Old March 18th 08, 12:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Default Don't mention them in usenet, either (was: Never, EVER, tempt thepuncture fairies)

Christ.. I promise never to speak ill of them again.

Friday last week a colleague comes in to work with a sad face. "I've
broken it!"... he managed to crack a lug on his headtube going home
the night before; no face plants, just some strange creaking noises.

Then that arvo going home, I get another flat.. no probs.. see a hole
in the sidewall so slip in a sheet of plastic I keep handy for just
such occasions.

Half way home, the chain breaks... the connector link (which I must
admit, is a few chains old) has snapped in two. No injuries, call the
sag wagon.

Sunday night, I change the tyre over and notice that my rim is about
to fail big time; there's a 1/2-inch tear along the walls adjacent to
one spoke hole (ie: the floor of the rim is peeling off the walls),
and several other spoke holes have hairline cracks propagating from
them. Not entirely unexpected, the rim has probably done 30k .. and
I've been a bit too aggressive with the spoke tension.

On the upside, I built my first rear wheel last night. A nice shiny
open pro rim onto a new hub I've had lying around. Dished and trued in
a hacked-together wooden stand. It survived this morning's ride in,
staying true.. I'll check it again tonight.

duncan