Rejected!

Old June 25th 08, 11:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Obakesan

Default Rejected!

HiYa

In article
, theo
wrote:

My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
fatter.

ok ... I now fell better about mine being = 80 ... what was it when you were
a fit strapping lad Theo? That seemed to have been sensored at this end of the
nntp feed?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply
Old June 25th 08, 03:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

obakesan wrote:

HiYa

In article
, theo
wrote:

My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
fatter.

ok ... I now fell better about mine being = 80 ... what was it when you were
a fit strapping lad Theo? That seemed to have been sensored at this end of the
nntp feed?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply

I'm extremely fussy about who I remove my undies for.
I don't like causing heart failure amoung the sheilas :-0

Seriously, plenty of talk about heart rates at
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/a...hp/t-3813.html

Plenty more if you study with Google.

Between 60 and 100 is a range of normality,
and I was very average at 60BPM resting when young, but
no more fit than the fitness you get by doing
building work, smoking 20 ciggies a day, getting drunk
once a week.....
I might have been strong, but not very fit.

Miguel Indurain and myself have almost identical dimensions and weight.
But Indy has a heart nearly the size of Pharlap.
He makes about twice my horsepower.
His resting HR was extremely low between races and I guess big hearts
beat more slowly
than smaller ones.

Beginning to do long distances regularly at an early age also make a
young heart
grow a lot bigger than if someone soft pedals all through their
adolescence.

When I began to take cycling seriously at 39, within a year
my resting HR went to 47, and stayed there for the 6 years I raced.
I got up to B grade vets, but knowhere near the A graders.
One guy of 51 was only 2 minutes behind the top seniors in 40km time
trials.
He'd have a HR of 200 from start to finish, so his meter told him....
Guys like him had roomfulls of trophies after 35 years of consistent
racing.

After 1992 I had a break for 13 years and HR drifted back up to 65+.
I began to cycle again at 59 at about this month in 2006 and I've done a
regular 200km a week.
Within 6 months my RHR went lower to 52, and weight from 95Kg
to 76kG where it has stayed, including a probable 2Kg increase in muscle
mass.
I figure I pedalled away 20Kg of fat. Now I eat huge salads every day,
and adequate carbs and protein. I cannot recall when the last time I ate
junk.
I gave up smoking a pack a day at 35, cold turkey.
So I look the same as i did at 30 but am older.
The suit I bought back at 33 fits me very nicely now at 61.
Weight is a *******, and if I try to go down to a lower weight
I feel so bad, so for those who think they are carrying an
unwanted extra 5Kg, don't worry, so are the rest of us!
Only the genetically gifted have fat % under 8% of body weight.
And only if they do piles of exercize, and or take steroids.
5Kg doesn't have much effect if you just wanna be one of the faster ones
amoung Ordinary Mortals, ( people who just like riding ) and you don't
wanna race and be amoung
the race freaks who shave their legs and are bessotted with their
naturally slim body
and with winning races, and riding 400km a week training. For what?
I been there done that, and mainly raced blokes much more naturally
gifted with genes than I was. I'd only ever do well against them where a
race was 100km or more and my fitness would allow me to last better.
I hated criteriums.

The real indicator of heart condition is the way you recover after
serious exersize.

Say you ride up a good sized hill as fast as you can, and stop quickly
at the top
and measure your HR.

It should be 220 minus your age, so at 40 I should have been able to
measure HR max = 180.
But I never measured 180, no matter how hard i seemed to try to go, sore
legs, aching knees
and trying to breathe all the world's air in at once seemed to create
the limits for me.
Had smoking caused that? I dunno.

So I never could get a 40km time trial time equal to my Age Standard
when aged late 30s, early 40s.

But I often saw HR 140 at age 40, and apparently I get up to about 130
now, at 61.
I don't much like doing it though.
And in fact on a bunch ride, even non racing types
all like to get to the top of a given hill just before you do, so it can
become a race,
easily, and I "lose" more than i "win", because I just let 'em go, and
it turns out they
are blowing themselves more often than I am so I catch and pass them on
the flats.
After about 80km some of the brave younger riders are quite stuffed, and
I just pedal away into the distance...

The crucial health infomation is in the way your heart slows down after
reaching a maximum.

The experts now say that the minimum reduction in HR after serious
effort has ceased should be
no less than 12 beats per minute, so that if my HR was 140, after 2
minutes
I might see 116, and so on. Good young sportsmen will have a slowing
rate much better than 12BPM.
While "listening" to your heart reducing its rate over the first couple
of minutes
after you stopped riding, does your heart miss any beats?
Sometimes mine does, and its a minor worry, just one missing beat now
and then.
You cannot take for granted your heart is going to beat every beat that
it should. I hope your hearts don't
leave out too many beats!
My mum of 91 has uneven heart beating. My Dad set a record for NSW for
school boys
running a mile in 1924. Not the slightest heart trouble. But we all are
the mix
of genes from mums and dads, and granpas and grandmas,
and none of us really know what our full health status really is.
Just don't let possibilities make you depressed.
Better to die taking yet another euphoric chance than
die entombed in boring certainties, IMHO.

The rate of decrease in HR after reaching max
becomes slower, but after a long 4 hour ride including several
flat-****in-out events to stay with guys a bit younger and or faster up
hills,
one's heart rate should have gone up and down like a yo-yo.
After you've been resting up at home for a couple of hours
it'll still be higher than resting, but slowly getting closer to
resting.
If your resting was say 50 to 70, and HR is say 90 BPM after a hard ride
4 hours later,
BE WORRIED, VERY WORRIED, because the experts say you have an 80% chance
of dying
within 5 years.

Late last February, I picked a really nice ideal cool windless early
sunday morning
and rode from Watson Australia Village to Geary's Gap at Lake George
in 1:34, a distance just over 51km, and my average speed was 32.56kph.
This is faster than the average speed attained by 61yo clubsman
used to compile the 40km Age Standard.
By the Standard, I am riding about as fast as a 56 year old.
At 55, a man is slowing about 25 seconds for 40km per year.
Some of us can better our age standards at an older age when we couldn't
do it
when we were young.
So it would appear I ain't ageing as fast as the other blokes, or
the the quick amoung them have hung up their wheels.
So Age Standards don't mean much.
When I examined 40km time trial *records,* I found a record
set in the UK where some 85 yo gentleman
did 40km in 1:14, same speed as i average, and I can say with fair
certainty that in 24 years
when I reach 85, I'll be lucky to be riding at all.
Probably I'll be held down by 6 feet of good earth.

There are not too many good 40km time trial courses that are out and
back
on the same route with no traffic lights or roundabouts, but the Federal
Highway
north of Canberra as i have described is good.
The turn can be made where the stretch of the old Fed hwy enters the new
Fed Hwy at the Gap,
before you descend to the floor of the Lake edge.
To make it exactly 40km one would have to start 5km up the highway from
Watson, thus taking out
the biggest hill, and thus improving average speeds.
I just do the full 51 km to get as high an average speed as possible.
It does have 400metres of climb in about 6 hills all less than 6% going
out, and 300metres climb
in maybe 5 hills returning; I averaged about 30 out and 35 back.

I don't use a HR monitor, but just try to keep the power and cadence
constant, with only slight easing on downhills, because
strong efforts downhill don't improve your avereage speed much due to
much increased
wind drag over 40kph.

The british courses used for time trialing to establish ther Age
Standards might be a lot flatter
than I used above, so their recorded speeds for the Age Standards
may in fact be much harder to get on a course like I used above.
And there would be more passing traffic in the UK tending to pace the
riders.
But early sundays the pacing effect is negligible on the Fed Hwy I
think.
Cars mostly take a wide berth around riders in the breakdown lane.

Hearts don't always tell you when they have got a serious problem.

Terry Connelly dropped dead one morning at age 51 at the top
of Red Hill in Canberra a couple of years ago.
He was the ACT Chief Attorney, a big job with lots of mental stress,
and probably lots of socials and bad hours and terrible food/drink
excesses.
His mates riding with him couldn't help; one was a doctor.
I saw the helmet at the shrine they put on the Hill many times during
rides up there since.
Its a beaut hill to test heart rates, 1 km at 9%.
If in doubt, use Mt Ainslie, its 10%, and 2km+

During my last annual check up my doctor said that since there isn't any
history of heart disease or failure
in my family, its unlikely I would have a heart attack.
My blood pressure was the same as a 20 yr old.
My doc is angry because my colesterol levels are lower than his.
He don't ride, and maybe he eats bad...

Last sunday i rode 106km with 15 Pedal Power riders on a beautiful ride
around Goulburn
and I kept riding away from them
several times, yet I felt good, and HR returned to 52 the day after.

But I can't ride anymore with the ACT Vets because there are too many
young blokes of 45, and when they come to a hill, I get dropped.
Then they are 100metres ahead, working in a bunch, and I can't catch up
to them.
At age 44, 42 x 19 was the lowest gear i used but at 61
I need 39 x 28. And I have had to learn to spin more,
because my knees don't like the gut busting pushing big gears.
After 15 years, I got 4kph slower.

I am more worried about prostate cancer than worried about heart
failure.

But if It-That-Governs-All reckons I have to die, not much I can really
do.
If ya spend any time in a hospital, take a good look at the beautiful
nurses,
maybe they'll be the last sheilas you'll ever see.

Hubert Opperman once said old cyclists are like old tyres.
They might have been designed for high pressure, but they might blow up.

He fell dead off his exercize bike at age 91, doing what he liked.

For those who don't know who Hubert Opperman was, I suggest they
do a Google on him right now.

Considering the road conditions he rode, and the heavy bicycles, he
makes many modern cyclists
look like a bunch of pansies.

Tip for the week :- if you are going on a 100km + ride, have a plate of
pasta at the halfway point.
You'll go pasta and pasta on your way home.
Works better than two jam sandwiches.

When I began writing this post my HR was 60, now its 52.

I struggled through 80km this arvo where the temp max was 13C,
and the wind blew hard all the way home.
But the river at Point Hutt looked fine.

Patrick Turner.
Old June 25th 08, 04:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dinsdale Pirana

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:14:27 -0700 (PDT), BT Humble
wrote in aus.bicycle:

The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

I think it confuses them. I was in Sydney Eye hospital a few years
back with a detached retina and ready for an op when someone turned up
with an ECG machine and plugged it into me. After observing the trace
for a while the operator asked me, "Are you very fit?" (yes really) so
I told them I cycled to work every day upon which they ripped all
their leads off me and said rude things to the ward staff which boiled
down to, "Why the f*&K didn't you ask him first?" They had been
concerned about my low resting pulse rate.

It should be pointed out that apart from one young lad I was the
youngest patient in the Eye hospital at the time and I was the wrong
side of 50 so perhaps their fitness levels tended toward the deceased
end of the continuum.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius
Old June 25th 08, 07:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Obakesan

Pat

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

obakesan wrote:

please remove undies for reply

I'm extremely fussy about who I remove my undies for.
I don't like causing heart failure amoung the sheilas :-0

well, it was the posts grundies, not yours ;-)

Seriously, plenty of talk about heart rates at
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/a...hp/t-3813.html

sure ... but I was wonderin about Theo's

Plenty more if you study with Google.

I'm not quite typical though, with a starting handicap of a bicuspid aorta
from birth which got replaced ... yadda yadda yadda ....

so while I take my training seriously (like my quality of life depends on it)
I'm not in the 'elite athlete' league (by a long strech).

Beginning to do long distances regularly at an early age also make a
young heart grow a lot bigger than if someone soft pedals all through their

I understand ... mine was sorta pressing lungs back for size at the age of 10

[muchos info deleted]

It should be 220 minus your age, so at 40 I should have been able to
measure HR max = 180.
But I never measured 180, no matter how hard i seemed to try to go, sore
legs, aching knees

I'm sorta the opposite, I hit 180 well before my muscles ache

But I often saw HR 140 at age 40, and apparently I get up to about 130
now, at 61.

The crucial health infomation is in the way your heart slows down after
reaching a maximum.

indeed ... despite the leaks it still returns fast, so I'm happy with that!

I struggled through 80km this arvo where the temp max was 13C,
and the wind blew hard all the way home.
But the river at Point Hutt looked fine.

and stuff like that makes it all worth while don't it

thanks for the info!

:-)

Old June 25th 08, 11:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:23:54 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

It should be 220 minus your age,

Nope, the current fashion is the lower, the better, especially if you have
other conditions.

Beware of quacks offering BP lower drugs. Not so recently, one urned out
to actually increase the overall risk, aka kill people.
Old June 25th 08, 11:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Jun 25, 6:27*pm, Halcyon wrote:
theo wrote:
*Stuck on 447 donations.

My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
fatter.

Hats off to you Theo...that's an enviable record! We talking plasma
donations here I take it? Or are you around 127 years old?
My RHR dropped from 80 to high 50's when I got serious about the
cycling. Different strokes for different folks.

Plasma or platelets. My first 50 donations were whole blood.I've been
donating since I was 21 and this is why I know what my resting heart
rate is. I never take any notice of my heart rate at any other time.
And no, I'm not 127, but my dad is 94 now and his dad got to 96, so I
think I've got a while yet.

Theo
Old June 26th 08, 04:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

BT Humble wrote:
It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
that goes "ping!"

Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

BTH
Old June 27th 08, 11:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2008-06-26, BT Humble wrote:
BT Humble wrote:
It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
that goes "ping!"

Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

Well, we certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

--
John
It's not rocket surgery.
Old June 28th 08, 02:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Mr. Terrier

John Pitts:

On 2008-06-26, BT Humble wrote:
BT Humble wrote:
It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
that goes "ping!"

Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

Well, we certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

_Nobody_, expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

--
Steve = : ^ )

Old June 28th 08, 07:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Obakesan

John Pitts:

On 2008-06-26, BT Humble wrote:
BT Humble wrote:
It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
that goes "ping!"

Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

Well, we certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

_Nobody_, expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

our chief weapon is surprize ....