Electric Bikes

Old June 23rd 05, 12:15 PM
Brian Jones

Default Electric Bikes

I have a 4 mile commute to work but it's pretty hilly, and I'm way, way
out of condition (as well as being ashthmatic). In an ideal world I'd
get the bike out and start to cycle regularly on the flat in the
evenings and weekends to rebuild my stamina to a point where the ride
doesn't leave me a physical wreck (the annual cycle to work day exhuasts
me) - but given my busy life style that just ain't going to happen.

So plan B to get back to cycling is to get an electric bike to assist
with the hills - hopefully relying less and less on the motor and also
hopefully starting to use the bike for longer shopping/pub trips etc.

Anyone got any experience with electric bikes - all the web
recommendations are for the more expensive 800-1200 quid models
(surprise, surprise)- I was hoping that the cheaper 300 quidish commuter
models would fit the bill. Any opinions, models tested/preferred etc?

Thanks

Brian
Old June 23rd 05, 01:08 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:15:48 +0100 someone who may be Brian Jones
wrote this:-

Anyone got any experience with electric bikes - all the web
recommendations are for the more expensive 800-1200 quid models
(surprise, surprise)- I was hoping that the cheaper 300 quidish commuter
models would fit the bill. Any opinions, models tested/preferred etc?

http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html is a good
starting point.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:59 PM
elyob

"Brian Jones" wrote in message
[...]

The only problem I can see with electric bikes is that it'd be so easy to
rely on it more often than not. I'd consider gentle cycling on flats and
downhill. Walk up the big hills until you build up the strength to cycle
them. However, I'd also suggest going to see your GP and having a quick
chat. He may recommend completely the opposite of what I just wrote.

Old June 23rd 05, 11:54 PM
Steph Peters

Brian Jones of wrote:

I have a 4 mile commute to work but it's pretty hilly, and I'm way, way
out of condition (as well as being ashthmatic). In an ideal world I'd
get the bike out and start to cycle regularly on the flat in the
evenings and weekends to rebuild my stamina to a point where the ride
doesn't leave me a physical wreck (the annual cycle to work day exhuasts
me) - but given my busy life style that just ain't going to happen.

So plan B to get back to cycling is to get an electric bike to assist
with the hills - hopefully relying less and less on the motor and also
hopefully starting to use the bike for longer shopping/pub trips etc.

Try plan C instead. Take bike to work in car. Leave car at work, cycle
home. In the morning cycle to work. Leave bike at work, car home. And so
on.

Or if there isn't suitable storage, then put bike in car, park 1 mile from
work and ride the last mile. Every week park further away from work, until
you don't need the car any more. Shouldn't take many weeks.

--
I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable.
There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.
Old June 24th 05, 06:35 AM
[[[Doug]]]

Brian Jones wrote:
[...]

Get a light road bike with slick tyres and very low gearing. Electric
bikes are heavy.

Doug.

Old June 24th 05, 10:47 AM
Simon Brooke

in message .com,
[[[Doug]]] ') wrote:

Brian Jones wrote:
I have a 4 mile commute to work but it's pretty hilly, and I'm way,
way out of condition (as well as being ashthmatic). In an ideal world
I'd get the bike out and start to cycle regularly on the flat in the
evenings and weekends to rebuild my stamina to a point where the ride
doesn't leave me a physical wreck (the annual cycle to work day
exhuasts me) - but given my busy life style that just ain't going to
happen.

So plan B to get back to cycling is to get an electric bike to assist
with the hills - hopefully relying less and less on the motor and
also hopefully starting to use the bike for longer shopping/pub trips
etc.

Anyone got any experience with electric bikes

Get a light road bike with slick tyres and very low gearing. Electric
bikes are heavy.

What he says. I honestly don't believe that electric bikes offer much
usable benefit. Yes, you get a bit of push to help you along, but you
also get a lot of weight to hold you back, and when the battery's died
(as batteries do) most of 'em are /extremely/ unpleasant to ride.

Get a /light/ road bike or hybrid with /slick/ tyres, and keep the tyres
pumped very hard. You'll be amazed how easy cycling is. The reason most
beginners think cycling is hard work is because they buy cheap, heavy
bikes with lumpy tyres which they run soft.

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

Old June 24th 05, 11:47 AM
rus

I purchased an electric bike recently for commuting to work (23 miles
round trip). Unfortunately I don't have any shower facilities at work
and having to wear trousers,shirt,tie etc I didn't want to arrive at
work hot and sweaty.

The bike is a pretty standard mountain bike with a small battery (4kg)
which tucks away under/behind the seat. It's designed to assist with
your pedalling rather than pull you along like a moped which some of
the more powerful electric bikes can do e.g. Powerbyke. The benefit is
it weighs much less and can ridden just like a normal bike. I wouldn't
want to ride a Powerbyke home if the battery ran out!

I am more than pleased with it. I can plod along at 20mph+ and it's
great for getting up hills.

Maybe once I am fitter i'll revert to my normal bike but for now it
does the job just fine.

cheers
Russ.

Old June 24th 05, 12:06 PM
Brian Jones

I forgot to add that the hill in question is very narrow with some tight
bends. The real problem is that puffing up slowly just induces cars to
overtake in stupid places. Alternate routes aren't too sensible either.

Many years ago I used to cycle 22 miles daily into central London and
still have the 531-tubed Orbit tourer in the garage (not with slicks on
tho'). Cycling in heavy London traffic (it was moving in those days!
dunno what it's like now) never phased me but I have a real fear of an
accident on the current commute (having already been brushed once by a van).

My thought was that if I was hill climbing at 10-15mph rather than a
pathetic 5mph then traffic frustration and hence danger would be reduced.

Be interested in what pedal-assist bike Russ went for but I'm definitely
getting the message that "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" and
fighting to get reasonably fit might be the only option. I have to be
honest here and unless that fitness happens by commuting it ain't gonna
happen at all - although Steph's plan is an interesting option.

Brian
Old June 24th 05, 12:22 PM
rus

Brian,

I purchased my bike from http://www.ec-bikes.co.uk as it seemed the
best compromise for me. Electric cycles in the UK are limited to 15mph
(assisted) by law although mine just carries on going past this!

I think my bike would crawl up a steep hill if I used the motor alone
but in assist-mode I can add 5-10mph to my speed based on my current
fitness level.

I have seen kits which allow people to fly up hills at 25mph+ without
pedalling but again this would add considerable weight and complexity.

Hope this helps!

Russ.

Old June 24th 05, 04:33 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Brian Jones
') wrote:

Be interested in what pedal-assist bike Russ went for but I'm
definitely getting the message that "there ain't no such thing as a
free lunch" and fighting to get reasonably fit might be the only
option. I have to be honest here and unless that fitness happens by
commuting it ain't gonna happen at all - although Steph's plan is an
interesting option.

I understand what you're saying - I just can't do gyms, and although
I've got a turbo trainer for the winter I don't use it - I find
exercise for the sake of just mind-numbingly boring. The only solution
is to get out and ride. The option of taking the bike part-way by car
might work /provided/ you're discimplined enough to park the car just a
bit further away from work each week.

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

restore or scavenge...? C.J.Patten General 30 July 28th 05 01:10 AM
Merida Powercycle Electric bike Comments? Fox in The Hat Productions General 0 October 21st 04 11:25 AM
Bikes in Parades? Jeff Potter General 3 October 11th 04 12:21 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
Electric assist bikes seagrass Australia 8 August 23rd 03 03:16 AM