Riding on Ice!

Old February 21st 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

Default Riding on Ice!

Anybody else out there enjoy riding on ice? I've got a studded tire on
my 28" Sun and it is a blast to ride around on the local hockey rink.
We got blasted with snow over the last week or so, but good ol'
Burlington got their priorities right and had the rinks cleared via
bucketloader way before the sidewalks! It's about the only place I
can ride, other than in the middle of the road, which is never a good
idea on the uni...

It is fun to watch peoples reactions to riding onto the ice. Kids
pretty much stop playing hockey and even stop skating. You can do
some cool stuff, like pedal hard and spin the tire, or try to skid
sideways. I can't freemount on the ice, but I haven't tried all that
hard. I can freemount on the edges of the rink, where the ice is rough
or covered with snow.

Sometimes I ride one of my MTBs on the ice - with studded tires - and
it is fun to do crazy stuff like take the handlebars and turn them 90
degrees while riding. Something you'd never do without the ice - it
takes a bit of nerve to do it.

Anyway I had a few spills but still had a great time. I brought my
skates with me, so I went skating after, and had a couple of nasty
falls

--
CrazyChrisVT
CrazyChrisVT's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12606

Old February 21st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

probs be a good idea to wear a helmet

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 21st 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mycatisonfire

I tried riding on ice once when I was in Germany on the German Exchange
but it was on a 6 foot giraffe and my german kid talked me into it and
it was my first time on a giraffe it was very slippy and i felll off
and it hurt but it was all in good fun

--
mycatisonfire

Em,
Stranger Than A Gang Of Drunken Mimes
mycatisonfire's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13746

Old February 21st 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

Haven't done ice, but I went unicycling down the sledding hills this
past week. Really fun riding on the packed snow from the sleds.
Should have seen the looks. The little kids thought it was cool, but
the parents weren't too sure until I took off my helmet and they saw I
was old enough to be their dad. What could they say then?

--
ahollow
ahollow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13990

Old February 21st 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I enjoy not having ice around where I live.

But I grew up with 'plenty of it'
(http://www.unicycling.com/things/index.htm#20) around:

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 22nd 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

me and unicyclepa went trials riding and realized that we couldn't do it
with all that hardpack snow we have but we decided to ride across a
frozen lake which was pretty hard but fun.

--
gordito8me

29er or 36er? can't decide
either way I have like 54 bucks so nothing too great.
radial 360 or nimbus 29er????
helllpppp!!!!
helllpppp!!!!
gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641

Old February 22nd 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uniman_3

yeah but no studs...we skidded alot and fell even more..
everything got sooo wet from the snow though...
we must of been going about 5mph and skidded for like 6 feet then
fell...it was funny..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
Uniman_3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14387

Old February 22nd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timtimtimmy

whoo really i cant ryde in ice

--
timtimtimmy

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=norcoryde1
timtimtimmy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13504

Old February 22nd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

My first successful ride was on ice, I bought my first uni in October
last year while I was living up north, the frozen lake was the only
smooth surface around so that is where I learnt to ride, I have found
that 98 3/8" #8 Robinson screws in a Luna make a decent ice tire. After
Christmas I moved into Saskatoon and again the only flat clear areas
around were the skating rinks. All this riding on ice made me very good
at riding very gently with slow turns but the slightest bumps would
throw me off. I now ride a 26" MUni with a 3" Gazz and home made tire
chains, the chains work well on most surfaces but the Luna with screws
is better on glare ice.

--
saskatchewanian

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

Old February 22nd 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
martin.phillips

saskatchewanian wrote:
I now ride a 26" MUni with a 3" Gazz and home made tire chains, the
chains work well on most surfaces but the Luna with screws is better on
glare ice.

-Please- tell us more about the chains.

--
martin.phillips
martin.phillips's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11421

Riding Rigid, Riding One Gear GeeDubb Mountain Biking 11 December 20th 06 02:49 AM
My 6yo son is riding! David_Stone Unicycling 12 July 11th 06 03:50 PM
Riding Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 14 January 8th 06 03:48 PM
Speed averages between trail riding and road riding Brian Walker General 5 September 21st 05 12:39 AM
There's no riding like snow riding... Jonesy Mountain Biking 5 January 3rd 04 04:26 AM