OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

Old August 8th 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Cheers
Old August 8th 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently
taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Cheers

It may be everywhere but it's certainly more noticeable here. Makes one
long for the days when we had just our own three or so to deal with.
--
duane
Old August 8th 14, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 8, 2014 10:44:49 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

They come, and if everyone resolutely ignores them, eventually they go. You just have to be patient. I assume they came here because Monkeyface somehow provided an opening for them.

Just thank your lucky stars RBT isn't actually the home base of the spammers. There was a time when a bunch of spammers made alt.guitar.amps their home base, and it was hell for the guys who were there for guitar amps. For all I know they could still be there, making on-topic discussion impossible.

The main thing is not to engage with their juvenile opinions, however stupid and provocative.

Andre Jute

Old August 9th 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 08/08/2014 22:44, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Set your killfile to kill crossposts to uk.re.cycling - that'll get rid
of most of the recent idiots.

(not sure there's any worthwhile content on there now at all)

Old August 9th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yeah n the frozen Canadians n drunken irishmen are the worst of it....

buncha worm infected road lawyers

Old August 9th 14, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_3_]

Unfortunately apparently many groups have gone off-topic and
suffered much spam lately. Your Google Groups news server is
responsible for most of it. And then there is the fact that Google
Groups posters destroy USENET protocol formatting.

Google's YouTube video comments section has a neat innovation of
allowing the original poster to control the thread. That's
outstanding, I wish USENET implemented (or could implement) that.

But in fact Google is a blight on USENET.

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sir Ridesalot i_am_cycle_pathic yahoo.ca

Old August 9th 14, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

lookit NEWS FROM NYC...

a significant compendium of road lawyer info...my screen sez 2 views...that is yawl lobots killed filed me or your rather narrow interests lie spouting in your own domain..to be polite.

this cyberspace reads like Philosophy .15

Old August 9th 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:44:49 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Cheers

Kill file everyone posting to or from "uk.rec.cycling".

Works for me.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 9th 14, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/8/2014 3:07 PM, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently
taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Cheers

It may be everywhere but it's certainly more noticeable here. Makes one
long for the days when we had just our own three or so to deal with.

I don't see any of the trolling. A newsreader with decent filtering
works wonders.

Old August 9th 14, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I don't see any of the trolling. A newsreader with decent filtering works wonders.

and what of education and developing perspective ?