A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #851  
Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,167
Default Still breathing, but no column


Chickened out and drove to the Winter Market today. Well, I drove to
the library and walked to The Pavilion in Central Park, which wasn't
far. Bluebird Bakery didn't show, so I didn't buy anything.

I was slightly tempted by the jugs of frozen cider.

Wished I'd brought my cane before I got back to the car.

The library parking lot surprised me by being full of cars. I hardly
ever get there in a car when it's open. I went in, looked up Bujold,
and checked out _Penrick's Mission_, which I read instead of Usenet
this evening. Now I'm wondering how to get it back when suiting up
takes longer than the ride. Weather Underground says the temperature
is going to be right off the chart next week, but the days the red
line runs off the top, there are a lot of tall blue bars below it.
(Blue bar chart of the probability of rain.)

I had been thinking of walking to Lowery's, but walking wasn't
pleasant, and I did need to drive to Owen's West for some fizzwater
too heavy to carry walking. I bought a small bag of clearance
potatoes while I was there.

Tried to drive from there to Lowery's on Winona, but I was on the
wrong side of the tracks and a train was using them. Thought I'd have
to wait at the stoplight blocking traffic until it passed, but there
was just enough room for me between the crosswalk and the last car on
the other side of Detroit, so the guy behind me had to wait at the
stoplight blocking traffic. Fortunately, nearly everybody wants to
turn left at that intersection.

All I wanted was a pen ($5.66, ouch!) and I knew exactly where it was,
but I took a complete tour of the store after buying it.

Then I drove home, ate lunch, and slept like a rock.

My sore throat is better, but now I'm blowing my nose. Viral, so far.
No other symptoms except feeling tired.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Ads
  #852  
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 186
Default Still breathing, but no column

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 22:18:39 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:


Chickened out and drove to the Winter Market today. Well, I drove to
the library and walked to The Pavilion in Central Park, which wasn't
far. Bluebird Bakery didn't show, so I didn't buy anything.

I was slightly tempted by the jugs of frozen cider.

Wished I'd brought my cane before I got back to the car.

The library parking lot surprised me by being full of cars. I hardly
ever get there in a car when it's open. I went in, looked up Bujold,
and checked out _Penrick's Mission_, which I read instead of Usenet
this evening. Now I'm wondering how to get it back when suiting up
takes longer than the ride. Weather Underground says the temperature
is going to be right off the chart next week, but the days the red
line runs off the top, there are a lot of tall blue bars below it.
(Blue bar chart of the probability of rain.)

I had been thinking of walking to Lowery's, but walking wasn't
pleasant, and I did need to drive to Owen's West for some fizzwater
too heavy to carry walking. I bought a small bag of clearance
potatoes while I was there.

Tried to drive from there to Lowery's on Winona, but I was on the
wrong side of the tracks and a train was using them. Thought I'd have
to wait at the stoplight blocking traffic until it passed, but there
was just enough room for me between the crosswalk and the last car on
the other side of Detroit, so the guy behind me had to wait at the
stoplight blocking traffic. Fortunately, nearly everybody wants to
turn left at that intersection.

All I wanted was a pen ($5.66, ouch!) and I knew exactly where it was,
but I took a complete tour of the store after buying it.

Then I drove home, ate lunch, and slept like a rock.

My sore throat is better, but now I'm blowing my nose. Viral, so far.
No other symptoms except feeling tired.


Frozen Cider? Back in the day that was the poor man's method of (would
one say "enlivening") Cider. Leave it out overnight and drink the part
that didn't freeze :-)

cheers,

John B.



  #853  
Old Today, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,167
Default Still breathing, but no column

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 11:59:14 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:


Frozen Cider? Back in the day that was the poor man's method of (would
one say "enlivening") Cider. Leave it out overnight and drink the part
that didn't freeze :-)


My father told a most-entertaining tale of a road-shovelling crew and
a barrel of vinegar that froze before it could turn to vinegar.

(Hand gestures: the road went like this, and then it went like
*this*.)

Probably an old joke, but people *did* make their own vinegar.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

  #854  
Old Today, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 186
Default Still breathing, but no column

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 18:30:34 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 11:59:14 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:


Frozen Cider? Back in the day that was the poor man's method of (would
one say "enlivening") Cider. Leave it out overnight and drink the part
that didn't freeze :-)


My father told a most-entertaining tale of a road-shovelling crew and
a barrel of vinegar that froze before it could turn to vinegar.

(Hand gestures: the road went like this, and then it went like
*this*.)

Probably an old joke, but people *did* make their own vinegar.


Sure they did. Just like they grew their own meat and vegetables and
salted, dried or "canned" them for the winter. Some of them even made
their own clothes and even stranger, blankets for their beds :-)
cheers,

John B.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speeding cyclist mows down elderly jogger Mrcheerful UK 10 February 13th 14 11:43 PM
Cyclist:0 Disabled granny:1 Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 1 June 13th 13 09:15 PM
Hit & run cyclist injures elderly woman on pavement John Benn UK 25 August 19th 12 09:33 AM
cyclist says injured granny should not be on pavement! Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 5 June 13th 10 07:37 PM
Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton [email protected] UK 167 February 1st 09 11:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.