American Classic Seatpost Failure

Old November 26th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan

Default American Classic Seatpost Failure

wrote in message
The American Classic seatpost hardware failed on my road bike. More
specifically, the single clamp bolt broke, causing my saddle to
disconnect from the seatpost. While I was riding. I crashed, my
bicycle was destroyed, and I was very seriously injured.

American Classic denies any design or manufacturing defect. I plan to
report the failure to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in
an effort to alert other bicyclists to the potential danger and/or
force a recall. To bolster my claim that an investigation is needed,
I'm searching for others who have experienced a failure with the same
clamp bolt. I've heard second-hand stories of other American Classic
seatpost failures. A few concrete examples, with names, dates, etc.,
might be enough to get the CPSC's attention.

Just as an extra data point, I've had three bolts snap on an Easton EA50
seatpost. I was lucky that my worst injury was the nose of the seat
flipping up into a fairly sensitive area. This was MTB racing however so I
was a little more prepared for the unexpected.
I put it down to my over tightening to stop the seat slipping and creaking.
Since getting a two bolt seatpost nearly two years ago I haven't had a
single problem.

I've also known of two Thomson seatposts shattering from bad landings which
is a lot scarier than a bolt snapping.

Old November 26th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 26 Nov, 12:54, "Duncan" wrote:
Since getting a two bolt seatpost nearly two years ago I haven't had a
single problem.

I am glad to vouch for two-bolts seat posts.
I have been using the two bolt Campagnolo ones for exactly 36 years,
now, and never suffered a broken one.
Happy I have stuck to them ever since.

Sergio
Pisa
Old November 26th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sergio Servadio wrote:

Since getting a two bolt seatpost nearly two years ago I haven't
had a single problem.

I am glad to vouch for two-bolts seat posts. I have been using the
two bolt Campagnolo ones for exactly 36 years, now, and never
suffered a broken one. Happy I have stuck to them ever since.

Ah yes, we ancients remember when Campagnolo first introduced this seat
post it was steel with its head welded onto a polished chromed thin
walled tube. Unfortunately they were not protected from the inside
and the transition to the solid head was a stress concentration. The
heads broke off.

Since those days, I have ridden the one piece cast aluminum version
that is probably the most reliable two bolt post made, the one Sergio
rides, no doubt. If one of the bolts fails, the seat becomes loose
but cannot fall off, but I have not heard of a failed bolt. Their
problem is that they are difficult to adjust, their two cap screws
being head-up under the saddle and not readily accessible.

I don't care because I don't need to adjust the saddle once installed
and secured. It's a one time chore, but worth the reliability and
assurance it gives. The one bolt, screw from below seat posts, came
along to make installation and adjustment easier, rather than to save
weight. The weight weenies came along later with drillium in the
1960's and 1970's, when all aluminum components were drilled and
countersunk to "appear" to be lighter, since then it became a fetish
with lighter "space age" materials at great cost per gram weight lost.

To hell with riding, it's all about equipment now.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 26th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 24, 9:35*pm, wrote:
The American Classic seatpost hardware failed on my road bike. *More
specifically, the single clamp bolt broke, causing my saddle to
disconnect from the seatpost. *While I was riding. *I crashed, my
bicycle was destroyed, and I was very seriously injured.

American Classic denies any design or manufacturing defect. *I plan to
report the failure to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in
an effort to alert other bicyclists to the potential danger and/or
force a recall. *To bolster my claim that an investigation is needed,
I'm searching for others who have experienced a failure with the same
clamp bolt. *I've heard second-hand stories of other American Classic
seatpost failures. *A few concrete examples, with names, dates, etc.,
might be enough to get the CPSC's attention.

BTW, my problem was with the prior generation seatpost, not the new
curved top design (although I note that the curved top design also
relies on a single clamp bolt).

Thanks in advance.

I have an American Classic seatpost from 1998. Ridden it many
thousands of miles. Likely I'll keep on riding it for many more
thousands of miles. One of the problems is its a 27.4 diameter and my
frame requires that unusual size. Only AC and Kalloy make that
bizarre size.
Old November 26th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 26, 8:09*am, "
wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:35*pm, wrote:

[...]

bizarre size.- Hide quoted text -

I forgot I have an American Classic post on another bike too. Not as
many miles on that one. But I'll keep riding it too. Good past.
Allows lots and lots of setback. Easy to adjust the tilt with the
little bolt nub.
Old November 26th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 26 Nov, 14:24, wrote:
*Their
problem is that they are difficult to adjust, their two cap screws
being head-up under the saddle and not readily accessible.

So true. A tricky endeavour indeed, but well worth.

A few years ago I was able to convince a chap from Geneve that he
should equip his (three, I think) bikes with that type of seat post.
I got three of them and mailed over to him, with a long and wordy
instruction sheet.
He soon after paid for the posts and sent me also a complimentary box
of Swiss chocolate bars,

After a few weeks he gave up the excercise and I got also the posts
back.

Sergio
PIsa
Old November 26th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gennaro

"Duncan" ha scritto...

[...]
Just as an extra data point, I've had three bolts snap on an Easton EA50
seatpost.

[...]
Since getting a two bolt seatpost nearly two years ago I haven't had a
single problem.

Isn't Easton EA50 already a two bolt seatpost?

Old November 26th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 24, 10:35*pm, wrote:
The American Classic seatpost hardware failed on my road bike. *More
specifically, the single clamp bolt broke, causing my saddle to
disconnect from the seatpost. *

Sorry to hear about your accident and injuries.

I had a similar failure on a Campy Chorus seatpost some years ago.
Ended up in the blackberry bushes. On another occasion, I snapped
another Chorus seatpost off about 2 inches above the seat tube
following an offroad adventure prompted by severe shimmy on a descent.
Remained upright on that one. Maybe I should call Campagnolo, but I
tossed the parts. Things do fail, and do so under normal circumstances
as well as severe.

Old November 26th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 25, 11:05*pm, wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:42*pm, "Andrew Lee" wrote:

*wrote:
force a recall. *To bolster my claim that an investigation is needed,
I'm searching for others who have experienced a failure with the same
clamp bolt. *I've heard second-hand stories of other American Classic
seatpost failures. *A few concrete examples, with names, dates, etc..,
might be enough to get the CPSC's attention.

I recall that back in the early(?) '90s when I subscribed to Velonews, there
was a photo of Jonathan Vaughters riding his bike without a saddle in a race
coverage photo. *He was riding out of the saddle, obviously, and the
seatpost tube was just sticking out of his frame. *My recollection was that
it was an American Classic post with a broken bolt.

Thanks, that's an excellent tip. *I'll see where it leads.

That sounds familiar but what I remember is the same situation
involving Mike Engelman in the Mt. Evans Hill climb one year.
It stuck in my mind because I had also suffered the broken bolt
syndrome and resulting crash (with minor injuries).
To help put a date on my incident it was some time shortly after the
AC factory was destroyed or heavily damaged by a fire.
AC later changed to use a beefier bolt, but it can still be subject to
some pretty heavy stress especially, for example, if the saddle is
mounted far back.

DR
Old November 26th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 26, 9:12*am, "
wrote:

I forgot I have an American Classic post on another bike too. *Not as
many miles on that one. *But I'll keep riding it too. *Good past.
Allows lots and lots of setback. *Easy to adjust the tilt with the
little bolt nub.

Hey, are you the Russell Seaton who rode PBP 2007?

I rode on my AC seatpost for thousands of miles too, until it broke.
I urge you to do some research; the failure of my AC seatpost is not
an isolated incident. Of course, if you insist on using the AC
seatpost even knowing the risk, then that's your business.

Steve