Waxed bottle cages?

Old December 1st 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Waxed bottle cages?

Dan O wrote:
Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle, but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Anyway, I'm trying to save up for stainless steel bottle cages,

Wow, how long is it going to take to save up $10 for stainless steel
cage? They're $10 at REI. "http://www.rei.com/product/746416".

BTW, how would the aluminum residue get into the water from the outside?
Old December 1st 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:56:54 -0800 (PST), Dan O
wrote:

Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle, but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Anyway, I'm trying to save up for stainless steel bottle cages, but
until then, should I put a bit of wax on my cage(s). (I know, I know
- why dont' you try it and let us know how it turns out :-)

Okay, I admit it, I used to wax my aluminum cages. Before each ride
I'd spray a little Pledge (aerosol furniture polish/wax) on a paper
towel and wipe down the cages. It helped keep my bottles clean.

I eventually changed to stainless steel cages and it didn't take much
saving up. Here's what I bought:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4342

I've had them for a few years now and am pretty happy with them.

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old December 2nd 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 1, 12:27 pm, SMS wrote:
Dan O wrote:
Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

Anybody wax their bottle cages? Not only would this smooth pulling
and restoring the water bottle, but I run two bottle (even now that
it's cold and wet out), and one of them tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

Anyway, I'm trying to save up for stainless steel bottle cages,

Wow, how long is it going to take to save up $10 for stainless steel
cage?

You're not making fun of my financial status, are you? Because I
*could* scrounge up the $30 or so for a nice pair fairly easily, but
sure as I do, some other expense always takes priority over
*upgrading* my water bottle holders. Every bike related purchase cost
me political capital as well.

They're $10 at REI. "http://www.rei.com/product/746416".

Thanks, but those plastic button thingies make the whole assembly look
horribly inelegant compared to the classic design, IMO.

BTW, how would the aluminum residue get into the water from the outside?

I don't know. I guess my semi-OCD tendencies, combined with my
ignorance of chemistry and materials porosity (or whatever) makes be
feel that it might be possible; I just don't know - you know?
Besides, I handle these bottles with my bare hands while eating my
sandwiches at lunch.
Old December 2nd 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 1, 8:55*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 1, 12:27 pm, SMS wrote:

Dan O wrote:
[...]

Don't wrap those sandwiches in aluminum foil
if you're that paranoid about it. Save it for the hat.

Ben
Old December 2nd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

wrote:

[...]

I just not clicked on the above link, and in the interest of complete
accuracy those aren't the cages I bought. They're actually:

Old December 2nd 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It's an illusion that your waterbottles don't get stained with SS or Ti
bottle cages. Am I the only one that get scratched bottles from roadgrit
that gets between the waterbottle and the waterbottle cage? I have King
Ti cages on most of my bikes but the reason is that they are good
looking and keep good looking over the years, hold the bottles very well
because they don't get bent easily. Waterbottles are consumables. When
they get to ugly throw them away and get new ones.

Lou
Old December 2nd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...81&subcategory....

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...80&subcategory....

It's an illusion that your waterbottles don't get stained with SS or Ti
bottle cages.

I agree. I have stainless steel cages on all my bikes. Bottles all
have black marks and such on them. Haven't got to the point where
I'll throw a functional but ugly bottle away.

Am I the only one that get scratched bottles from roadgrit
that gets between the waterbottle and the waterbottle cage? I have King
Ti cages on most of my bikes but the reason is that they are good
looking and keep good looking over the years, hold the bottles very well
because they don't get bent easily. Waterbottles are consumables. When
they get to ugly throw them away and get new ones.

Lou- Hide quoted text -

Old December 2nd 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 1, 10:46 pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 1, 8:55 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Dec 1, 12:27 pm, SMS wrote:

Dan O wrote:
Here's one I'll bet isn't in the FAQ:

... bottle... tends to turn itself around
and gets a build-up of aluminum alloy residue all over it. I may be
OCD, but can't get over the concern that I'm going to be drinking some
aluminum or something.

BTW, how would the aluminum residue get into the water from the outside?

I don't know. I guess my semi-OCD tendencies, combined with my
ignorance of chemistry and materials porosity (or whatever) makes be
feel that it might be possible; I just don't know - you know?
Besides, I handle these bottles with my bare hands while eating my
sandwiches at lunch.

Don't wrap those sandwiches in aluminum foil
if you're that paranoid about it. Save it for the hat.

My bike is right here next to me. I just pulled the spare bottle out
of the seat tube holder, and very lightly dragged a clean thumb and
forefinger across one of the "cage markings". It coated both thumb
and forefinger with dark gray powdery stuff. Sure, that stuff
includes a good bit of road grime, but it also includes a good bit of
whatever soft metal that cage is made of. I wiped my thumb and finger
on my clean bluejeans, which removed most of that crud from the ridges
of my fingerprints, but left the recesses packed. (Hey, look at that
- it's lunchtime. Going to wash with soap and water now... )
Old December 2nd 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

[...]

I didn't mean to imply that the reason I want SS cages is to keep my
$3.49 Nashbar bottles looking good (although I expect they will keep
the bottles looking a lot better). I want them for all the same
reasons you give here. However, I give my bottles some reasonably
effective but hopefully not too OCD routine cleaning. The road grime
comes off pretty easily - except for whatever gets combined with that
soft metal residue and ground into the plastic.

Bottle Cages Behind Saddle - HELP !!!!! Dogfighting Racing 3 April 27th 07 07:39 AM
F.S. TACX Bottle Cages Mario Maiorano Marketplace 0 May 24th 06 09:40 AM
bottle cages Neal Techniques 11 September 4th 05 05:09 AM
fuel bottle cages Walter Mitty General 4 March 2nd 04 01:31 AM
fuel bottle cages Walter Mitty Rides 1 February 29th 04 08:52 PM