Keyhole hubs?

Old December 1st 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default Keyhole hubs?

"Jim Rogers" wrote in message

If not, why not? Seems that Phil Wood hubs are pretty close, but they
don't have the keyholes. Of course, Sheldon often said that, with
their radiused spoke holes, spoke breakage with a Phil hub was
"unheard of." So maybe keyholes are unnecessary...

I think you've got the answer there. Spoke breakages aren't the common thing
they used to be, both as a result of improved materials and improved
building technique. So keyhole hubs are now a solution in search of a
problem.

(I use 36H on a touring tandem, and don't bother with spares. Granted, it's
26", but that sort of thing would be considered insane a few years ago.)

cheers,
clive

Old December 1st 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

I think you've got the answer there. Spoke breakages aren't the common thing
they used to be, both as a result of improved materials and improved
building technique. So keyhole hubs are now a solution in search of a
problem.

(I use 36H on a touring tandem, and don't bother with spares. Granted, it's
26", but that sort of thing would be considered insane a few years ago.)

I'd love for the answer to my question to be:

"Sure, keyhole hubs allow you to easily change a spoke when it breaks
every 10-20 thousand miles, but your radiused spoke-holed Phil hub
provides such better spoke support that you won't have to change a
broken spoke for more than 100,000 miles. So your hub is better than a
Maxicar."

--Jim
Old December 1st 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Jim Rogers" wrote in message

I think you've got the answer there. Spoke breakages aren't the common
thing
they used to be, both as a result of improved materials and improved
building technique. So keyhole hubs are now a solution in search of a
problem.

(I use 36H on a touring tandem, and don't bother with spares. Granted,
it's
26", but that sort of thing would be considered insane a few years ago.)

I'd love for the answer to my question to be:

"Sure, keyhole hubs allow you to easily change a spoke when it breaks
every 10-20 thousand miles, but your radiused spoke-holed Phil hub
provides such better spoke support that you won't have to change a
broken spoke for more than 100,000 miles. So your hub is better than a
Maxicar."

Possibly partly the hub, but the major changes have been in the spokes.

cheers,
clive

Old December 1st 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

I'd love for the answer to my question to be:

"Sure, keyhole hubs allow you to easily change a spoke when it breaks
every 10-20 thousand miles, but your radiused spoke-holed Phil hub
provides such better spoke support that you won't have to change a
broken spoke for more than 100,000 miles. So your hub is better than a
Maxicar."

Possibly partly the hub, but the major changes have been in the spokes.

I gave you the answer I wanted, couldn't you just give it to me?

Just kidding, you're probably right. Thanks for the info.

--Jim

Old December 1st 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Replacing a spoke is only a little faster with a keyhole than without
it - except when something else gets in the way. The cog issue has
been solved by the cassette lockring. Since a broken spoke is a rare
event, no one is likely to pay the extra machining cost for the
miniscule benefit. Disk brakes could change this calculation...

How many people even carry the right lengths of replacement spokes??

JG
Old December 2nd 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

On Dec 1, 1:14*pm, JG wrote:
Replacing a spoke is only a little faster with a keyhole than without
it - except when something else gets in the way. *

Well, sure. I'm questioning why there are not keyholes for spokes on
the drive side of rear wheels, where freewheels (and cassettes) would
be in the way.

The cog issue has
been solved by the cassette lockring. *Since a broken spoke is a rare
event, no one is likely to pay the extra machining cost for the
miniscule benefit. *Disk brakes could change this calculation...

You're probably right. I use freewheels on Phil Wood hubs. For me, I
thought keyholes might be handy (unless they cause more broken spokes
than regular holes). It also seemed like it would be easier for those
with cassettes, although less so.

How many people even carry the right lengths of replacement spokes??

Many, according to bicycle touring message boards I read.

--Jim

Keyhole hubs? Jim Rogers Techniques 3 December 1st 08 05:37 AM
Keyhole hubs? Jim Rogers Techniques 0 December 1st 08 01:19 AM
Keyhole hubs? Jim Rogers Techniques 9 December 1st 08 01:06 AM
Do Shimano Nexus hubs slip like Sturmey Archer hubs? gumtree Techniques 8 January 12th 06 11:07 PM