Coker crash

Old November 10th 03, 02:26 AM
J.D. Miller

Default Coker crash

The other day I had a little crash on my Coker (perhaps I should say off my
Coker) that I had never experienced before.

I had just finished congratulating myself on climbing a hill that I had been
unable to climb until I lost a little weight and got a little stronger. I
chose a way down the hill that I did't think would be too tough when to my
surprise I did an unplanned dismount. Normally the Coker will roll a couple of
feet and fall over. This time the Coker continued on down the hill ahead of me
dragging its seat.

I evaluated the situation and realized the busy intersection at the bottom of
the hill may create a problem. Then the uni veered a little to the right and
made for a very new looking little sports car. Using my inferior speed afoot I
managed to catch up to the uni and strike it with my left hand which caused the
wheel to crash into my left knee (big pain). Fortunately the wheel made a
U-turn, then fell over. Breathing a sigh of relief I gathered up my dignity
and my unicycle. I remounted just as a very nice looking young lady rolled
down a car window next to me and said, "nice catch." Being ever the gentleman
and old enough to be her father, I said, "Thank you," and rode on happy that I
didn't have to explain to anyone how I managed to put a big dent in their car
with my big wheel.

I am thinking of putting a tether on the uni like the surfer dudes do, but I
doubt I will. It looked like an event unlikely to reoccur. Has any one else
had their uni travel unusual distances sans rider?

JD Miller
Where there is a wheel, there is a way.
Old November 10th 03, 03:21 AM
mango

my unis always have the uncanny ability to go straight for water when i
upd. can anyone relate?

--
mango - schwammkopf =)
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old November 10th 03, 05:44 AM
john_childs

Coker bowling.

In Coker bowling the object is to miss the pins (the cars and other
objects along the road).

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old November 10th 03, 12:42 PM
Fool

Perhaps cokers need a kill cord like outboard engines:

A small length of string is clipped onto the riders belt, if rider upds
the string would pull a pin releasing a brake onto the wheel.

If the string was the curly plastic used by surfers/keychains it would
be short enought not to be in the way whilst riding and long enought to
dismount normaly due to its elastic properties.

When rider upds a pin similar to a hand grenade would be released and a
spring would push a brake onto the wheel below the seat post. This would
work in the same way the hand granade pin releases the lever, the lever
acting as a brake.

Fool

--
Fool - The Uni Fool

"The laughing tale of the fool
The arranger of disorder
With your strange and simple rules"
Gypsy
Fool's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3687

Old November 10th 03, 01:00 PM
David Stone

ojunk (j.d. miller) writes:

[...]

I wrote about one of these experiences last year. It's happened 3 times,
and each time was scary. Once it shot into oncoming traffic (I was on the
cel phone at the time, which may have been part of the problem). Another
time it was stopped short of smashing a stroller by the foot of the
infant's mom (I was riding slowly in the park, so that wasn't something I
_shouldn't_ have been doing -- just bad luck). And another time it aimed
itself for a couple out for a stroll (again, the woman knocked it down,
again it wasn't going too fast).

David Stone