My first crash.

Old February 24th 04, 12:38 PM
Graeme

Default My first crash.

omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in
:

And commisserations from me. What Simon now needs is one of these..

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...RTS/OTBSC.html

...an official Over The Bar Scar Club t-shirt :-)

Ooh, I like! Now all I've got to do is drop some hints for getting one as a
birthday present. I'll have to be pretty unsubtle as my wife doesn't go
anywhere near a PC normally, it'll be along the lines of "See that, that
would make a very good birthday present you know." :-)

Graeme
Old February 24th 04, 01:10 PM
2LAP

MSeries wrote:
2LAP wrote:
MSeries wrote:
Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out
there. Unfortunatley these things do happen.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...eeserve.co.uk-
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling
at tram lines to wiping out on bends.

Thats a higher average than I have.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

We decided in another thread that this might be related to mile
covered, age and types of riding done (during MTBing there are lots o
notable crashes)

-

Old February 24th 04, 01:11 PM
Call me Bob

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:40:29 +0000, David Martin
wrote:

They may be part of your cycling but I sure as anything try to make sure
they are not part of mine. Sure I have fallen off a few times but crashes
that require medical attention have been virtually non-existent. Maybe it is
down to riding style.

No doubt it is down to riding style. He seems happy to accept thought
that falls are going to be a part of his cycling, I don't see anything
wrong with that myself. If his style is a bit more "attacking", and
his speeds a bit more racy then that probably contributes to the
excitement and enjoyment he gets from his riding. More power to his
elbow I say.

There's nothing wrong with coming a cropper as long as you take
appropriate measures to (more or less) ensure it isn't under a bus. A
few bumps and scrapes, maybe the occasional few stitches, so what. I
get the same every week when playing rugby.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the *******s'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.
Old February 24th 04, 01:33 PM
MSeries

2LAP wrote:
We decided in another thread that this might be related to miles
covered, age and types of riding done (during MTBing there are lots of
notable crashes).

Of couse, with a complicated formula relating all four variables. One can
minimise the risks though to a certain extent. E.g. I gave up MTBing after a
pair of crashes that hurt, I took it as a warning. I avoid certain roads
when they are busy. In my younger days I probably wouldn't have done but
whether its because the traffic is worse now or I percieve more risk is
unknown.

Old February 24th 04, 01:38 PM
MSeries

Commiserations! At least you now have some road rash to show you are
a real cyclist. :-)

And commisserations from me. What Simon now needs is one of these..

Only if he has the scar

like I have

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mseries/MNUglyMug.jpg

That picture was taken after I washed my face in the stream after my second
last crash during my last MTB ride.

Old February 24th 04, 01:51 PM
Mark

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...RTS/OTBSC.html

Any more places that do designs like these on the Net? I got
a couple of cool ones from Microcosm (link supplied by Guy, I
think), but I'm looking to replenish my T-shirt stocks for this
Summer.

Ta

Mark

Old February 24th 04, 02:25 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

2LAP typed

MSeries wrote:
Yikes, hope you suffer/suffered no after effects. Take it easy out
there. Unfortunatley these things do happen.
--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk/h...reeserve.co.uk

I have about one crash a year of varying severity; from just falling at
tram lines to wiping out on bends.

Uuuh?!?!

I've given up cycling now but *never* had a cycling-related crash[1]
resulting in hospital treatment. For three years, I averaged 10,000
miles pa.

It would seem that crashes are a part of cycling, no matter how safe you
are you can't depend upon others being safe!!! After a crash it takes
about 10 mins to get up to speed.

Not in my experience...

[1] I did attend hospital 25 years ago when a black labrador, taking a
6-year-old for a walk, took exception to me and bit my calf. I did not
crash.

Your risk enveope must differ from mine...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 24th 04, 02:26 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

David Martin typed

It would seem that crashes are a part of cycling, no matter how safe you
are you can't depend upon others being safe!!! After a crash it takes
about 10 mins to get up to speed.

They may be part of your cycling but I sure as anything try to make sure
they are not part of mine. Sure I have fallen off a few times but crashes
that require medical attention have been virtually non-existent. Maybe it is
down to riding style.

You are me &ICM£5...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 24th 04, 03:05 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

2LAP typed

We decided in another thread that this might be related to miles
covered, age and types of riding done (during MTBing there are lots of
notable crashes).

Hmm... I had 25 years of adult cycling on all sorts of road, much of it
in London. I didn't do much MTBing.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 24th 04, 03:12 PM
Gawnsoft

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:51:49 GMT, davebee
wrote (more or less):

Boooo. Sorry to hear about you accident. keep on riding though. I ha da
bit of an accident about 3 months ago when 3 pedestrians stepped out
from in front of a bus stopped at a bus stop, and I went over the
handlebars. Scary moment. I always wear a helmet now, but it hasn't
stopped me riding. I know there is loads of dispute about helmets but
one makes me feel safer.

That's precisely the sort of accident that it can help with most.

Cycle speeds, protecting against contact with hard ground, head going
'straight' into something harder than a skull (tarmacced road).

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

Mayo Crash: Nozal involved? hotbanjo Racing 5 July 8th 04 09:01 PM
Coker crash J.D. Miller Unicycling 32 November 12th 03 05:49 PM
First crash today Luigi de Guzman General 22 August 14th 03 12:48 PM
Lance / Mayo crash chronology, and pedal controversy MrBob Racing 6 July 22nd 03 10:49 PM