Mountain Bike to road Bike

Old November 10th 05, 02:31 AM
Barlaw

Default Mountain Bike to road Bike

This might seem like heresy, but I have given up mountain biking for road
riding. I have a very nice road bike (OLMO Dynamic Plus), and I do not want
to use it over the winter months, which are very wet here in Vancouver.
Therefore, I propose to convert my Specialized Stumpjumper M2 into a winter
road bike. I have the tires, handle bars and seat sorted out, but I need to
know how to replace the Judy Race front fork with a rigid carbon fiber front
fork. I need the existing XTR caliper brakes to mount on the new forks and,
ideally, need to find a relatively inexpensive replacement fork. If anyone
knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Old November 10th 05, 06:04 PM

Pure heresy.

It would be cheaper to just set the fork on max preload - after all, on
a winter bike weight isn't a major concern, and given the abundance of
pothoes a bit of suspension couldn't hurt. But if you really must, look
at this:

http://www.winwoodbike.com/purist.html

You need a slightly longer fork than a stock road one - the Judy you
have is longer than a normal rigid fork. This Winwood fork is a bit
longer, to try and keep the geometry of your bike the same as it is
now. If you just slap on a standard fork, your bike will get twitchy
and unstable.