Young cyclist killed

Old January 25th 04, 01:15 AM
David Kerber

Default Young cyclist killed

In article ,
says...
(Hunrobe) wrote in message ...
"Just zis Guy, you know?"

wrote:
I want to know why it's no longer safe for a group of kids to be out
unsupervised. Would having a parent there have made the unlicensed
driver any safer?

Guy, read the article. The child was THREE years old. Three year olds do not
belong anywhere outside their home unsupervised, period.

This incident makes me think of a lot of things--first and foremost,
that even 3-4-5 yr. olds can be taught to NEVER run out the end of a
driveway without stopping & looking first. This is the #1 way young

5 yes, but I would never trust s 3yr old to check. 4 would depend on
the kid.

kids are killed on bikes. Speaking from experience, it is quite
possible to teach the average 3 or 4 yr old to stop and look EVERY
time. Just like it is possible to teach them to never play with
electrical plugs. Sure, there will never be 100% compliance at that
age. But there will be pretty darn good compliance. But most parents
don't know the importance of this, so they don't even try.

Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old January 25th 04, 01:16 AM
Pete

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:30:51 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

in no case should an unlicensed driver be out cruising around, much less
'on the job'.

I wonder if the employer will end up in court?

One would hope. At most they'll get a small fine.

Pete

Old January 25th 04, 09:01 AM
Hunrobe

"Just zis Guy, you know?"

wrote:

I'm glad I live in a country where a three year old can play with
other kids without the need for constant parental supervision.

Do you mean that where you live there are no dangers that a preschool child
can't recognize and avoid without the benefit of any adult supervision? I
thought you lived in England. When did England ban all modes of transportation
except walking at a sedate pace? Was that before or after you eliminated all
construction sites and high places? Darn, your kids can practically raise
themselves! g
Seriously though, it has nothing to do with what country you live in and
everything to do with exercising reasonable care for your children. I truly
doubt that you'd allow *your* preschool child to play outside of your yard at
dusk, particularly if the play consisted of riding a wheeled vehicle down your
driveway.
BTW, I'm curious. Why do you think he was "playing with other kids"? The
article quoted the deceased child's mother as describing the area as "a
residential street crowded with children at play". "Children at play" does not
necessarily mean "children playing together". She also said the eight year old
brother was outside riding his scooter at the time. I may be mistaken but a
four year old riding a toy bike- probably with training wheels- and an eight
year old riding a scooter don't strike me as "playing together" but more like
their solitary play just happened to be in proximity to each other.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old January 25th 04, 09:31 AM
Hunrobe

(Brent Hugh)

wrote in part:

This incident makes me think of a lot of things--first and foremost,
that even 3-4-5 yr. olds can be taught to NEVER run out the end of a
driveway without stopping & looking first

This makes me think that you believe 3-4-5 yr old riders are always *in
control* of their bikes. Seeing 3-4-5 yr olds ride disabused me of that notion
many years ago.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Another cyclist killed - Athens, GA psycholist General 3 January 22nd 04 06:17 PM
Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision Zippy the Pinhead General 81 October 11th 03 12:41 PM
Great Cycling Advocate Killed by repeat Drunk Driver mrbubl General 50 October 6th 03 05:38 PM
Ken Kifer -- "Identity of biker killed remains unclear" Steven M. O'Neill General 5 September 17th 03 06:01 PM