Thunderbolts and lightning

Old February 4th 04, 09:40 AM
R15757

Default Thunderbolts and lightning

Andrew Price wrote n part:

- I see the recommendation if you get a tingling sensation if unavoidably
outside is to get off the bike, away from metal objects and to crouch (not lie)
down cover your ears and presumably kiss your bottom goodbye.

Just wondering if anyone in the group has any better wisdom about being smarter
if unwittingly you get caught riding in a storm with lightning.

best, Andrew

I love the part about "cover your ears." If you're going to get hit by lighting
you might as well not be disturbed by the very loud noise eh?

I think I may have been touched by lighting once, or something. I was riding
along in a brutal thunderstorm, urban setting, just trying to get home,
lightning strikes very close. A shaft of electrons connected with a pole or
tree somewhere very damn close. Sound only travels 1000 feet per second but
when it only has 20 feet or so to travel the blast is almost instantaneous. The
thunderclap is the sound of air being superheated and expanding violently.
There was the flash of light and the incredible explosion of sound and just
then a massive spark arced between my right thumb and the left brake lever on
my bike. I think one of the lightning bolt's tendrils reached out and got me
perhaps. Scared the **** out of me but curiously, I didn't feel a thing. I have
a friend who reports being blasted off his bike in a similar event.

Here's a fun fact--only 20 percent or so of lightning strike victims die from
the incident. Nobody is too sure what happens to the rest of em.

Robert
Old February 5th 04, 02:55 PM
AustinMN

Here's a fun fact--only 20 percent or so of lightning strike victims die

from
the incident. Nobody is too sure what happens to the rest of em.

They get religion.

Austin

Old February 6th 04, 06:01 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I see the recommendation if you get a
tingling sensation if unavoidably outside
is to get off the bike, away from metal
objects and to crouch (not lie) down
cover your ears and presumably kiss
your bottom goodbye."

I would rateher hold my nose. I hate the smell of burning flesh...

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner